Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 37

Thread: February 2017: Arctic's Heartless Curls (heatless curling method)

  1. #11
    Fake ginger PixieP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Skien, Norway
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,993
    Length
    CBL/CBL/TBL
    Type
    2b/M/ii

    Default Re: February 2017: Arctic's Heartless Curls (heatless curling method)

    Ooh I'll need to try this! I've done similar things before, but with and elastic that leaves a bump and messes up the curls when taking it out.

  2. #12
    ❅❄❅Super Guru❅❄❅ Arctic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Finland
    Age
    42
    Posts
    11,473
    Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

    Default Re: February 2017: Arctic's Heartless Curls (heatless curling method)

    Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Cutely explained too! My hair is too thick and long for this, but it's a great tutorial idea for those growing shorter lengths out, IMO.
    Thanks! I love the drawing app on my mobile! Yes I imagine this being more suitable for shorter hair.


    Quote Originally Posted by MsPharaohMoan View Post
    Hmm I thought you were going to wrap all sections around the base. This doesn't leave elastic bumps you say? Hmmm
    Wrapping them all around the base, hmm why not, though maybe would be better then to wrap the whole pony at once and make Arctic's Hairfriendly Fan Bun!

    I would lie if I'd say this doesn't leave any kind of intentation where the ponytail has been, but it's very very softly curving, shallow, weak and minimal, and smoothes out in a short time (after an hour I can't see any marks at all). Where-as a elastic would leave a sharp indentation that would have lot of staying power, and for example cinnabuns leave an ugly, deep ridge when taken down. So comparing to those this method is practically dent/ridge-free on me. I guess the wrapped hair + spin pin combo is so soft and wide and has lot of surface area with no sharp tension spots and has more air between strands than if elastics would be used, or something.

    I hope it works for you as well as for me, if you'll try it!


    Quote Originally Posted by stachelbeere View Post
    amazing! I'm down to try them on my head but I left my foam curlers behind while moving... I'll think of alternatives.

    MsPharoahMoan - I had the exact same thought about the wrapping all sections around base thing!
    Thanks! Someone used standing pin curls (barrel curls) with nice results, maybe you could try that if you have bobby pins!


    Quote Originally Posted by Groovy Granny View Post
    This was my 'go to set' after a shampoo back in the (19)60's with my WL+ hair, or anytime I needed a bit of curl/lift.
    Back then I used SOUP CANS
    Now I would use big rollers; but only for very special occasions.
    Not even sure if they would work on WL/Hip length
    Next time I will give this a try
    Your hair is beautiful Arctic ....and love the pup pic; thanks for bringing this back
    That's so cool you had a similar method on use then! Yes I was aware that this tutorial is based on something that was before, my own spin (no pun intended!) are the spin pins to hold the pony for (practically) ridge-free finish! I knew the ponytail placement from before, I had seen a curling wand tutorial where the person used ponytail on top of the head, divided it into couple of sections and curled them each. Then the pony was taken down and beautiful curls were the result. Ten times faster than the normal method with curling wand. And bendy rollers are of course not new. I've seen photos of the soda can curlers, pretty impressive! I guess you didn't sleep with them?

    I hope this method works for you if you decide to try it out! And thank you for the compliments!


    Quote Originally Posted by Sarahlabyrinth View Post
    I think my hair might be too long and too much of a tangle risk to try this, but it does look great!
    Thank you! Yes I can imagine your hair is both too long and too thick - a setting method that is compact and comfy to sleep on for me would break your neck if you'd try to sleep with curlers put in like this!

    Maybe if the hair is long enough to stay over the pillow and person is a restful sleeper, maybe bendy rollers would be fine to use on the midlength to ends while sleeping - they could maybe stay tidily there over the pillow, and in the morning there would be nice curls!


    Quote Originally Posted by hayheadsbird View Post
    Did it!


    This time lasted longer than the first attempt, two spin pins crossed gave more support, next time I'll use regular instead of mini ones though.
    Because I set this up a few hours before going to bed I didn't actually sleep in it. By bed time it had worked it's way loose enough it was starting to pull. This was prob a good thing for getting photos though as I would never have had time in the morning anyway!
    I think it would have been fine to sleep in though, I'll give it another try on a weekend so I can see how long they last.
    Looks fabulous! I've never tried the mini spin pins because they are not available here, but the normal sized ones give me nice sturdy support. I tend to put the curlers on very close to the time I go to sleep, but I am a restless sleeper and they stay very well! Something like hair/bun net over the curlers might make the whole thing even more secure.


    Quote Originally Posted by bparnell75 View Post
    Since I never wear my hair down, what would I do with the curls. Maybe a half made bun with waterfall curls?? nah..no good on a 75 year old. But enjoy all you younger, thick haired. BSL girls.=)
    You wear you hair in a way that makes you feel good about yourself, that's the most important thing! (Although I agree with GG, most styles are not tied to age, I dn't think 75 is too old to wear hair down and curled, if the person wants to and likes how it looks!)


    Quote Originally Posted by PixieP View Post
    Ooh I'll need to try this! I've done similar things before, but with and elastic that leaves a bump and messes up the curls when taking it out.
    Oh yes, that's another bad point elastics have. This one doesn't mess the curls! I hope it works for you!


    ***

    I did these over night again, and enjoyed lovely curls today! I took a photo, but am pressed with tons to do so posting it will have to wait!
    Last edited by Arctic; February 3rd, 2017 at 01:39 PM.

    Always behave like a duck -
    keep calm and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the devil underneath.

  3. #13
    ☮ Carpe Diem ♡ Groovy Granny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    11,535
    Length
    Chin/@TBL/@TBL
    Type
    2c/F/ii

    Default Re: February 2017: Arctic's Heartless Curls (heatless curling method)

    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
    That's so cool you had a similar method on use then! Yes I was aware that this tutorial is based on something that was before, my own spin (no pun intended!) are the spin pins to hold the pony for (practically) ridge-free finish! I knew the ponytail placement from before, I had seen a curling wand tutorial where the person used ponytail on top of the head, divided it into couple of sections and curled them each. Then the pony was taken down and beautiful curls were the result. Ten times faster than the normal method with curling wand. And bendy rollers are of course not new. I've seen photos of the soda can curlers, pretty impressive! I guess you didn't sleep with them?

    I hope this method works for you if you decide to try it out! And thank you for the compliments
    Oh yes...I DID sleep with them; the ponytail was placed at the very top of my crown.
    I secured the cans with bobby pins and then wrapped a roller net around it

    My scalp is too sensitive to do that now; that's why I do a loose nape ponytail to sleep.
    It would just be for a couple of hours during the day on lightly damp hair.
    Lady with Long Hair
    [^video link]
    ~ Enjoy every stage of your hair journey ~


  4. #14
    ❅❄❅Super Guru❅❄❅ Arctic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Finland
    Age
    42
    Posts
    11,473
    Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

    Default Re: February 2017: Arctic's Heartless Curls (heatless curling method)

    Respect GG! That is heroic deed!!!

    Always behave like a duck -
    keep calm and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the devil underneath.

  5. #15
    ☮ Carpe Diem ♡ Groovy Granny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    11,535
    Length
    Chin/@TBL/@TBL
    Type
    2c/F/ii

    Default Re: February 2017: Arctic's Heartless Curls (heatless curling method)

    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
    Respect GG! That is heroic deed!!!
    LOL It was a sight to behold for sure ...and all the rage back then
    Lady with Long Hair
    [^video link]
    ~ Enjoy every stage of your hair journey ~


  6. #16
    Member Alex Lou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    On a hill, by the sea
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,502
    Length
    28"/Waist/Waist
    Type
    2a/C/iii

    Default Re: February 2017: Arctic's Heartless Curls (heatless curling method)

    I'm going to be surprised if a section of hair wrapped around and secured with spin pins will hold my hair in a ponytail, but I will try. I do use a sock bun form (actual cut off part of a sock) to put my hair in a pony tail at night when curling the ends to avoid elastic/cinnabun dents.

  7. #17
    Member Alex Lou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    On a hill, by the sea
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,502
    Length
    28"/Waist/Waist
    Type
    2a/C/iii

    Default Re: February 2017: Arctic's Heartless Curls (heatless curling method)

    Well I did try it. And it did hold! Held really well, actually. Although not as nice and tight to the head as an elastic. It did give me a dent when worn overnight; worse than just a cinnabun with spin pin. But it has potential for pony tails, especially ones worn low on the head. I like that you're inventing new styles and techniques, Arctic, pretty cool.

    I didn't do the complete curl style since I don't own any curlers.

  8. #18
    Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Posts
    8,483
    Length
    12 in/55/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

    Default Re: February 2017: Arctic's Heartless Curls (heatless curling method)

    Curlers in. Sleep cap on. Can't to see what they look like in the morning!

    55in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

  9. #19
    Member stachelbeere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    1,281
    Length
    18/29,5/33
    Type
    1b/M/ii

    Default Re: February 2017: Arctic's Heartless Curls (heatless curling method)

    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic View Post

    Thanks! Someone used standing pin curls (barrel curls) with nice results, maybe you could try that if you have bobby pins!
    oh yeah! will try it like that then

    SSSLLL - AAAPPPLLL - SSSBBBLLL - MMMBBBLLL - WWWLLL

  10. #20
    ❅❄❅Super Guru❅❄❅ Arctic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Finland
    Age
    42
    Posts
    11,473
    Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

    Default Re: February 2017: Arctic's Heartless Curls (heatless curling method)

    I posted a new photo to my blog, taken on last Friday: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/entry.php?b=128732


    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Lou View Post
    I'm going to be surprised if a section of hair wrapped around and secured with spin pins will hold my hair in a ponytail, but I will try. I do use a sock bun form (actual cut off part of a sock) to put my hair in a pony tail at night when curling the ends to avoid elastic/cinnabun dents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Lou View Post
    Well I did try it. And it did hold! Held really well, actually. Although not as nice and tight to the head as an elastic. It did give me a dent when worn overnight; worse than just a cinnabun with spin pin. But it has potential for pony tails, especially ones worn low on the head. I like that you're inventing new styles and techniques, Arctic, pretty cool.

    I didn't do the complete curl style since I don't own any curlers.
    It's surprisingly sturdy, I have learnt to have lot of faith in the magic powers of spin pins! Sorry to hear it gave you a bad dent. I wonder what hair qualities will affect who gets dents from what. For me this is as close to dent free as it's possible after actually having hair secured in ponytail-ish for over night.


    Quote Originally Posted by neko_kawaii View Post
    Curlers in. Sleep cap on. Can't to see what they look like in the morning!
    Ooh, looking forward to hear your update!


    Quote Originally Posted by stachelbeere View Post
    oh yeah! will try it like that then
    Let us know how it goes! I will try the barrel curls myself too one of these days. I have had good success with barrel curls in the past but I've never tried them with this ponytail method.

    Always behave like a duck -
    keep calm and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the devil underneath.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •