Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HI! New 1a-1b long baby fine thin hair person here!

Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Default Re: HI! New 1a-1b long baby fine thin hair person here!

Coconut oil and my hair do not get along. I like argan oil as a leave in on the tips... olive oil seems to work ok on only my lengths before cowashing with a couple rounds of diluted conditioner. Something similar and/or a couple good SMT-like treatments might help you on the track for that soft and silky texture you're seeking!

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Howdy! I'll echo the other concerns that you might be dealing with very hard water. You can always do an elementary-school-style test with red cabbage to very roughly determine the pH of your water.

As for balancing protein vs. moisture, it is necessarily going to be a matter of experimenting with your own hair and seeing what works. In my case, I'm dealing with largely untreated hair that was neglected over the last 2-3 years and is a little moisture starved. I had been doing moisture treatments every week, but recently discovered that 2-3 times per week was even more helpful. Adding moisture to your hair is basically adding water (either just by wetting it down or exacerbating the process with a humectant such as cetyl alcohol, aloe vera or honey), and possibly sealing it in with a leave-in such as the oils you've been using. I picked up a whole bunch of conditioning masks when they were on sale and have been experimenting with a few every week. I find that doing two moisture-heavy treatments and a protein-y treatment on wash day (once per week) is a good balance for me. You will probably have to play around to figure out what works best for your hair. For what it's worth, I've had a moisture-heavy routine for about four months now and am starting to see visible results within the past three weeks or so.

Length
    12"/12"/15"+
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Hi, I'm so very happy to have found this thread. I noticed that it's not been active since 2020 and I hope others will join in. I have baby fine,medium thickness hair, mostly straight with some bends and curves. I want to love it as it is. I'm not trying for more volume or trying to make it look wavier. I've made peace with my hair and I want to start loving it.
    Strawberryfine

"Sea Witch Tia Dalma of the Infamous Black Pearl"