Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What one cardinal sin do you regularly commit on your hair?!

Length
    3"/4.5"/16"

Default What one cardinal sin do you regularly commit on your hair?!

I know everybody here is SUPER-dedicated to their hair being the best it can possibly be.

But I'm curious to know, what ONE CARDINAL SIN do you regularly commit on your hair?

I'll go first, aaaagh!

I am growing out a hideous pixie cut, and so am taking ridiculously good care of my hair. I do the weekly coconut oil treatments. I only use sulphate-free products. I never use heat on it. I never use styling products on it. I never use dye on it. I take vitamins. I do hair masks. I only use a really wide detangling comb, and comb gently from the ends up to the roots. Etc etc etc.

Here's where I fail - my cardinal sin is washing my hair too freaking often! I have really, really greasy hair, and try to go three days without washing. But the reality is, some days, I wash every two days. And honestly, most days, I wash it every single day. I have a job that involves me being on my feet for ten hours, and a lifestyle that involves a lot of activity (bike commute, running, hiking, walking the doggy etc). My hair already looks terrible enough at the Justin Bieber stage, without looking like i dip-dyed the roots in fryer oil too! So, most days, I wash it. I guess it's a compromise in my growout process.

What is YOUR cardinal hair sin?!!

Length
    CBL/24/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

Default Re: What one cardinal sin do you regularly commit on your hair?!

I wash my hair usually every other day because of the greasy scalp thing, others around here do also, so I don't see that as a cardinal sin.

(Plus well it's hair and really sin is subjective but nothing you can do to your own hair of your own free will isn't really a sin at all)

My biggest hair abuse is HOT water. I have pain issues and long soaks hot water helps tremendously manage that, but not so good for hair. Plus I wear It down probably more than I should for my texture in the dry heated winter air, and skipping second conditioner or leave in which my hair *needs* to be soft, hydrated and manageable.

Lady Amethyst Rosevyn, Kynd Sempstress of the Land of Frosted Woodlands
    Wishing the burgundy henna would have stayed! Now growing out bleached henna...
    Just Brushing BSL Hoping for Waist wavy by end of 2017

Length
    APL/CL/FTL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

I second the hot water! I love a good hot shower. I would say my sin is not protecting it from the sunlight. I live in sunny southern California and my repertoire of protective styles is slim!

Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

Washing way more than I should - usually every other day, sometimes every day when it is especially bad, because my scalp is a grease factory, and I absolutely cannot stand having my roots be all stiff with grease.

Supposedly you shouldn't brush curly hair but I do it every day.

Length
    28"/Waist/Waist
    Type
    2a/C/iii

Only one? I continually abuse my hair by LHC standards. Hot water, yes, just fried it with a keratin treatment, dye it with box dye, iron it, wear it down a lot and snag on stuff, let the baby pull and chew it, reckless and impulsive decisions with scissors. I must have strong hair. It keeps growing.
    Last edited by Alex Lou; January 4th, 2017 at 12:06 AM.

Length
    APL/CL/FTL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by spirals View Post
    Supposedly you shouldn't brush curly hair but I do it every day.
    Me, too! Well, after a couple of days following a wash. My hair is the kind of curlythat brushes out into waves, though...I say if there's no breakage because of it, don't worry!

Length
    APL/APL/WAIST
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

I use sulphates. I guess thats a bit of a no-no. Been thinking about switching to SLS free stuff but I have SD so I need it every once in awhile.
    I scalp wash only so I hope its not doing too much damage.

---APL----BSL---WL---HIP---TBL---
    Lady Nott, Horse Mistress of the Witching Hour in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.

Length
    24/27.5/40-42
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Mine would have to be overcombing it or pulling it too hard when I'm doing hairstyles like french braids or a bun on top of my head (the weight pulls on my scalp for hours). This always results in a bunch of my hair either falling out or breaking off since the strands are fine and break easily.

It's funny, I have friends who constantly abuse their hair with heat tools, blow drying, dyes, etc. and yet they continue to have such thick and smooth long hair! I guess it really depends on genes haha

Length
    24/25/term

I use the blowfryer. I cannot STAND to have wet hair because when I was younger I had to live at a boarding school where we had to wash our hair every night and go to bed with it wet, and it was so cold, and I just hated it so much.
    So I dry it the best I can with a microfiber, and do one section at a time on the lowest, coolest setting and hold it as far from my head as possible. I'm washing once a week so it's not like it's that often. Prior to finding this forum, I would use a round brush and pull each section smooth while I blow-dried it. I had no idea that hair was most fragile when wet. I was probably stretching it. So now I dry it without hardly touching it until it's about 80-90% there and then I set it in soft rollers.
    APL......(Dec 2016)...BSL.......MBL......WAIST......HIP <--current goal