Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Function of Beauty anyone?

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Default Re: Function of Beauty anyone?

I would love to try it, but, at that price I don't think I will be.
    I don't think they ship outside the States anyway.
    Last edited by Sarahlabyrinth; August 3rd, 2017 at 02:40 AM.
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Length
    12,5/35,4/37
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I tried something similar once, not Function of Beauty, but MixMyShampoo (based in Germany). It was fun mixing the shampoo, but the product itself was very average and wasn't really worth the high price. However, I can understand that individual mixed products are more expensive than mass production. It's a nice idea as a gift or for trying out once, but for me it's nothing I would use regularly.

Well, as I said, I haven't tried Function of Beauty and don't know the exact formulations or how good it works. In the case of MixMyShampoo I can get the same results with shampoo for less than 10 $ or even less than 5 $

Length
    23 cm/80 cm/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by LinzDigital View Post
    For me (maybe it's most formulations maybe it's just mine?) the shampoo has this kind of strange water but viscous texture. Its weird. Kind of reminds me how mud acts. Like if you slosh it its liquids but as soon you try to put fork on it it firms up. Overall, despite being watery I wold say it stays in the hand like a more dense formula and actually has a lot of lather even give the gentle surfactants. I've never diluted it, but actually that's not a bad idea! It does act like a thicker formula in the hair. I'd try it, if it's clean enough after a wash, I think it's fine. My original formula leaves my hair slightly cleaner than I think is nessisary, but that may be a property of the "volume" goal.

I just placed a new order so I will try it actually good way to stretch it out maybe.

What did you go with? I got length, hydrate, replenish, oil control, straighten- then wavy, medium, oily and I tried heavy on the sandlewood. I'm a bit apprehensive it might be too much moisture but I don't know! Figured I'd give it one more shot as I've been having a hard time finding, for me, a conditioner that works. I use like 3 different Leave ins after a wash... ugh. I've been liking Kristen Ess from target, but my hair always feels a bit less elastic or something when I use it for a while without changing it around... but it's still the best I've tried so far, Sun Bum coming in a close second but not enough slip and too expensive and that banana smell goes with nothing!
    I went with strengthen, lengthen, oil control, replenish hair, and shine and I have fine and straight hair with an oily scalp. I just went with medium scent in the recommended essential oils scent to see what that smells like. And yeah, I have a shampoo that works, but I've tried pretty much everything without sulfates at the drug store at full strength and many different dilutions with limited success. I can't use sulfates regularly because of eczema so going with other types of drugstore shampoos containing sulfates isn't really an option, my hair doesn't seem to care much, but sulfate use beyond once a month or so for clarifying causes eczema flares. I figured I'd try this because the next thing I was going to look into was more high end brands anyway including one recommended by my friend who went to cosmetology school. But these would be the same price as the function of beauty stuff and not custom-mixed, so I figured I'd try this first because it costs the same amount and seems like more fun.

I think I will try using it as I normally do first diluted at about 1/8 strength or so and see if it works for me that way and try it full strength if it seems the same as my current shampoo or worse. I suppose if this doesn't work I could try hunting down things on etsy and see what comes up. But here's to hoping and at the least I'll be keeping the bottles with my name on them because I'm vain.
    Lady Ambarussa of the Sunlit Forest in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!
    animetor7, or Ani Currently: Hip at 80 cm Next Goal: Tailbone at 102 cm

Length
    23 cm/80 cm/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii/iii

Okay, so I tried it with a scalp wash today keeping my lengths dry. I diluted it to about 1/8 strength and did my usual scalp wash routine of only lathering once then rinsing without any conditioner or anything. My hair is drying, but in the shower it lathered nicely and smelled really nice even when diluted. The lather was especially impressive, much better than my Organix shampoo once diluted, and my hair feels clean, but less stripped than with the diluted Organix shampoo. My scalp is a bit tingly, but not unpleasantly so, it feels nice and is refreshing. So far I really like it. I especially like the pump because I can more precisely measure my dilution and it wastes less product. So far, I think this might be worth it for me as it seems to work diluted, which spreads out the cost considerably and if it continues to work better than my current shampoo, I think I'll continue with the shampoo at least. I go through far too much conditioner to pay that much for some. But it should be nice for a second conditioner until it's out, and perhaps to repurchase when I need to get more shampoo, which won't be for a while yet at this dilution. So if this continues to work much better than my Organix at this dilution, I think it's worth it for me.

Length
    Chin/Waist/40ish
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by animetor7 View Post
    Okay, so I tried it with a scalp wash today keeping my lengths dry. I diluted it to about 1/8 strength and did my usual scalp wash routine of only lathering once then rinsing without any conditioner or anything. My hair is drying, but in the shower it lathered nicely and smelled really nice even when diluted. The lather was especially impressive, much better than my Organix shampoo once diluted, and my hair feels clean, but less stripped than with the diluted Organix shampoo. My scalp is a bit tingly, but not unpleasantly so, it feels nice and is refreshing. So far I really like it. I especially like the pump because I can more precisely measure my dilution and it wastes less product. So far, I think this might be worth it for me as it seems to work diluted, which spreads out the cost considerably and if it continues to work better than my current shampoo, I think I'll continue with the shampoo at least. I go through far too much conditioner to pay that much for some. But it should be nice for a second conditioner until it's out, and perhaps to repurchase when I need to get more shampoo, which won't be for a while yet at this dilution. So if this continues to work much better than my Organix at this dilution, I think it's worth it for me.
    I forgot to come back here and post I got my new order too. It was super quick! LIke half the time they said it would take.

I got mine in and there was some discrepancies in the "active ingredients" on the front of the card and the actual ingredients in the back of the card. The ingredient list is missing tea tree oil, peppermint oil, ginger root, and beet root. You picked lengthen and oil control too- does your have that in the "active" list and is it in the ingredients list? Even if the card was wrong there definitely wasn't any tea tree oil in mine, I can't feel it. Also, I asked for "strong" on the sandalwood and cant really smell anything.

I was pretty weirded out by that with the ingredient list so I wrote them, and they are telling me they changed formulations or something (?) they weren't very informative. Disappointing. And I kind of have lost a bit of trust in them for that. However, I used it anyway and it really did straighten and moisturize pretty dang well. It dried like mermaid hair 3 times now which for me is a feat. So they offered to re formulate it given my concerns- so we'll see! I like the way its working now, but I'm weirded out by the discrepancy in ingredients and yeah, wished the sandalwood was stronger.

Oh and when I tried it, I took a cue from you and tried diluting it and that worked really really well. I think I'll stick with doing that.

I tried Organix a few times over the years and never had any luck with it. It always felt a bit drying to me, personally. Its a shame because they all smell soooo good.

Length
    23 cm/80 cm/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii/iii

Weird. I was able to find both in both places, though the ginger was a bit far down in each ingredients list. I'm glad it's working well for you too. I think if I had to use it full strength it wouldn't be worth it. But since I can dilute to an 8th it's normal strength in another 8oz bottle I have, that reduces the cost considerably, and makes it worth it to me. I'm so pleased that it works diluted, I was worried about that.

EDIT: Oh and I agree about the Organix shampoos. They were good for me as a teenager, but now are a bit too stripping, especially full strength. But they're the best I've found of drug store brands. They either are even more stripping (Herbal essences, Pantene) which irritates my eczema or they don't get my scalp clean enough for me to stretch washes like I like to (Shea Moisture, Carol's daughter). I'm glad they work for many people, but for me, the very best I could get was meh even fiddling with dilutions. And as long as I can keep things affordable via diluting, I think that having an HG is worth it for me in terms of shampoos.
    Last edited by animetor7; August 14th, 2017 at 11:03 AM.

Length
    40/42/45
    Type
    1a/1b/C/iii

Just adding my perspective for anyone stumbling on this thread --

TLDR is bad performance, high price, and poor customer service.

I was able to order these as a gift and have been using them for about a week now. For my goals I chose fix split ends, strengthen, anti-frizz, shine, and soothe scalp. For my hair type I chose straight, medium coarseness, normal scalp.

My normal routine is dandruff shampoo alternating with Pantene shampoo, and Tresemme conditioner. I wash and condition every other day, sometimes stretching it an extra day. It was fun to do the quiz and try these out but they are really not worth the money. I already felt very happy with my normal drugstore products, and I wasn't expecting a huge change, but I thought that the results from these would be at least on par with my usual, or slightly better. Instead, the shampoo is slightly worse and the conditioner is much worse.

With the shampoo, I feel like my scalp gets oily faster than normal. Since I wash every other day anyway, it's not a huge issue, but there's no way I could stretch it an extra day if I were solely using this shampoo. It hasn't caused dandruff, which is good! I was worried how my hair would do without dandruff shampoo, but whatever they put in there to "soothe scalp" seems to work. I could see myself incorporating it into my routine in place of the Pantene. It's the first sulfate free shampoo I've tried and not had dandruff or buildup. It smells great and gets the job done. I will probably finish off the bottle or maybe use it as a travel shampoo, but won't repurchase. If you're sulfate-free (or want to go sulfate free but are scared of dandruff) it might be fun trying the shampoo, but since I don't usually use sulfate-free shampoo, I don't know how it compares to other cheaper options out there -- I assume there's probably much cheaper options than this, though.

The conditioner was quite disappointing. It doesn't have much slip at all. Though it does have silicones, but they are far down in the list of ingredients. It's not at all detangling; it actually made my ends feel crunchier and more tangle-prone. It has protein, but my hair typically does fine with protein. I wish "detangle" had been an option for hair goals. Instead of smoothing down my split ends, they seem more noticeable and more splayed out, which was helpful for S&D, but otherwise not how I want my hair looking on a regular basis. As an experiment, I did half my hair with my normal conditioner and the other half with this conditioner, and the difference was night and day. The mid-length of my hair feels smooth and soft, but I worry that with continuous usage, this conditioner would make them just as dry as it made the ends. I will probably pass this on to my sister because it does no good for me. I'm going to try to get a reformulation or refund as per their Happy Hair Guarantee. If it were a cheap conditioner from the drugstore, I wouldn't bother, but this tiny 8oz bottle was $18 which is nearly SIXTEEN TIMES the price per ounce of Tresemme!

I wanted to love these and use them as a way to "treat myself" but I feel like it will be a treat to switch back to my old routine now and have my usual silky hair back. I'm going to use them for another week to see if there's any change, but I doubt there will be. I guess my hair type is the type that majority of shampoos and conditioners in the drugstore are catering to, so I don't really need a 'bespoke' product like this. I will edit this post as I try to get a refund/reformulation. Just save your money and don't feel like you're missing out if it's out of your budget.

UPDATE 9/18/18: After posting this I used the shampoo once again and my scalp did start to feel irritated, itchy with a couple big flakes in the back. I guess that's how long it took for the effects of my last dandruff shampoo to wear off. I had to wash again tonight (that's two nights in a row) with my regular products and my hair already feels a lot better. Lesson learned, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

UPDATE 9/20/18: After posting the previous update, I submitted a cancellation request through the website and it told me that someone would be in touch shortly. It's been 3 full business days and no one has contacted me. Tomorrow morning I will email them if they still have not gotten in touch. Not feeling too good about it at this point.

UPDATE 9/23/18: I didn't expect anyone to reply to my email on the weekend, but I just logged in and noticed that since my last update, they have deleted my subscription from my account page, so someone definitely saw my cancellation request and/or email yet still didn't respond. Kind of unprofessional in my opinion; I wish they had either followed through or done nothing at all. Now it has me wondering whether my email was too vague. I didn't ask for a refund or reformulation explicitly; I only told them all of the negative effects that the products had had (basically a condensed version of my post above) because I thought that outright demanding my money back or asking for new product to be sent would be too rude. Now I wonder if they may have just taken it as constructive criticism with no intention to rectify it. I feel bad to be "that customer" who has so many complaints and wants a refund, but it's not like these products were at all cheap.

UPDATE 9/28/18: I finally got a reply today and they offered a reformulation. I told them 'thanks, but at this point, I'd prefer a refund,' and got no response. I suspect (but have no proof) that they have been delaying their response so that I will fall outside of the 30-day guarantee. I'm extremely disappointed. I placed my order on September 1. Being that it's Friday afternoon and assuming they don't operate on the weekends, I won't get a response until Monday, which is October 1. It's kind of infuriating but oh well.

FINAL UPDATE 10/1/18: They emailed me this afternoon and said the refund will be credited back to the original form of payment within 10 days. They also apologized for the long delay in response to my initial email, and thanked me for giving their product a try. In conclusion, I take back what I said about the delay being intentional in my last post -- I think they've just genuinely got bad time management and organization and I fell through the cracks. Still, I wouldn't recommend them. If you've read this entire post I really hope it was helpful; I tried to be as informative as possible.
    Last edited by Doreen; October 1st, 2018 at 09:40 PM.
    { tailbone classic fingertip knee ankle }

Length
    40/42/45
    Type
    1a/1b/C/iii

Lately I've been seeing ads for this product all over this site and it kind of bugs me. I can't recommend this product to anyone. I know everyone's formula will be different but I think their delayed responses are shady. If they don't want to offer refunds they shouldn't claim to. And had they responded within a day or two after my original email, I would have accepted a reformulation, but now I just want to have nothing to do with them at all.
    { tailbone classic fingertip knee ankle }

Length
    Hip/Hip+/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Unfortunately, like most nice things, this isn't available in Finland. I'd very much like to test it as I've seen people like it a lot. I'd probably just take shampoo, though, because I go through so much conditioner that I couldn't afford to like it anyway. I like the idea, but I'm unsure if there are actually any truly meaningful differences between the different properties you can pick. I'd like to see someone compare two very different formulas on themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by LinzDigital View Post
    Kind of reminds me how mud acts. Like if you slosh it its liquids but as soon you try to put fork on it it firms up.
    Reading that before your correction, I was here just kind of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeEyVZiVW_M thinking it's some 200 IQ native English speaker stuff I just don't get.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahlabyrinth View Post
    I would love to try it, but, at that price I don't think I will be.
    I don't think they ship outside the States anyway.
    The front page (which is redirected for me) says they currently ship to the US, Canada, Great Britain and Australia.

I guess New Zealand doesn't count as Australia, though.
    Ósnjallr maðr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask;
    en elli gefr hánum engi frið, þótt hánum geirar gefi.

Instagram | Last.fm | Folk band | Acoustic metal duo | My links

Length
    12/24 in/40 in
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

I've tried FOB and it did NOT work for me!!!! I was super super excited to try it out and spent top dollar for low quality products. The first time I tried it I liked how clean it made my hair, but after a couple months of use it made my hair problems worse, gave me TERRIBLE scalp acne, and left my head super greasy with dry tangled ends. The only thing I liked was the leave in conditioner, which I still use.

The only good thing I can say about them is they have great customer service. They have a 30 day money back guarantee and even tho I had FOB for a couple months, they still gave me a full refund because they think I had an allergic reaction, which is why my scalp broke out after trying it.

I might try it again next year with different ingredients and hair goals but as a first impression I really didn't like them. Even if I didn't get scalp acne from it, they never addressed my hair goals :/ sad