Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hairdresser guilt advice please

Length
    13/21.5/43
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

Unhappy Hairdresser guilt advice please

I have had the same hairdresser my whole life, and she is really good and really lovely. She always cautions me about drastic changes and never takes off too much, sometimes I have to ask her to take off more. However, A few years ago I decided I wanted to be blonde, and after a lot of previous failings of trying it at home I asked my hairdresser to do it. She eventually relented and did it gradually by adding more and more highlights over the period of a few months. It did look lovely when it was first done. However, the maintenance was awful and I also wanted to start growing my hair and was concerned about the amount of damage the bleach was doing. Anyway, the work my hairdresser had put into it made her reluctant to cover it with brown. I went a darker blonde but my roots were so much maintenance still, and my hairdresser is quite expensive, I'm only on apprentice wage and I am saving for a house. So I stupidly dyed over it brown to make the roots less noticeable. Anyway, the colour wouldn't hold on my ends due to the damage and they just looked a horrible dry pool green, and I was paranoid about the damage travelling up my hair, so I tried to cut it myself. BIG mistake. I ended up with a wonky chunky awful looking cut. I had to fix it but I was to scared to go to my hairdresser due to the state of my hair, I know it's silly but I had already done two things she told me not to do and I got very anxious about it. So I went to another hairdresser. She cut my hair into an inverted bob with layers when I said I just wanted the worst of the damage gone and my hair evened up. So now I'm patiently waiting for it to grow out. Due to the damage still left though I am going to keep needing trims and I really want to go back to my usual hairdresser because she was so good but I feel awful, like I've seriously betrayed her. What do you guys think I should do?

Length
    APL/BSL/Hip
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

Default Re: Hairdresser guilt advice please

Tell your hairdresser you were out of town for a while and had to get it done whilst you were away. If your hairdresser had done what you asked for in the first place, you would not have had to " cheat " on her. You are the boss of your head.

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by MegHan-Solo View Post
    I have had the same hairdresser my whole life, and she is really good and really lovely. She always cautions me about drastic changes and never takes off too much, sometimes I have to ask her to take off more. However, A few years ago I decided I wanted to be blonde, and after a lot of previous failings of trying it at home I asked my hairdresser to do it. She eventually relented and did it gradually by adding more and more highlights over the period of a few months. It did look lovely when it was first done. However, the maintenance was awful and I also wanted to start growing my hair and was concerned about the amount of damage the bleach was doing. Anyway, the work my hairdresser had put into it made her reluctant to cover it with brown. I went a darker blonde but my roots were so much maintenance still, and my hairdresser is quite expensive, I'm only on apprentice wage and I am saving for a house. So I stupidly dyed over it brown to make the roots less noticeable. Anyway, the colour wouldn't hold on my ends due to the damage and they just looked a horrible dry pool green, and I was paranoid about the damage travelling up my hair, so I tried to cut it myself. BIG mistake. I ended up with a wonky chunky awful looking cut. I had to fix it but I was to scared to go to my hairdresser due to the state of my hair, I know it's silly but I had already done two things she told me not to do and I got very anxious about it. So I went to another hairdresser. She cut my hair into an inverted bob with layers when I said I just wanted the worst of the damage gone and my hair evened up. So now I'm patiently waiting for it to grow out. Due to the damage still left though I am going to keep needing trims and I really want to go back to my usual hairdresser because she was so good but I feel awful, like I've seriously betrayed her. What do you guys think I should do?
    Just a quick question, but could you write in clear paragraphs. Such a wall of text is really hard for me to read.

We all have had our disasters (trust me). The key is you're here now, and there are awesome ways to cut your own hair (Feye's method, the compact cuts), so there's no longer any excuse to let a hairdresser not do what you want.

Try microtrimming. The thread is around here, somewhere...
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    13/21.5/43
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Borgessa View Post
    Tell your hairdresser you were out of town for a while and had to get it done whilst you were away. If your hairdresser had done what you asked for in the first place, you would not have had to " cheat " on her. You are the boss of your head.
    Thanks, I'll do that. And that is true, she should get over it.

Length
    13/21.5/43
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Just a quick question, but could you write in clear paragraphs. Such a wall of text is really hard for me to read.

We all have had our disasters (trust me). The key is you're here now, and there are awesome ways to cut your own hair (Feye's method, the compact cuts), so there's no longer any excuse to let a hairdresser not do what you want.

Try microtrimming. The thread is around here, somewhere...
    Yes sorry I'll make an effort to use paragraphs in the future. Thanks! I'll definitely look into methods of cutting my own hair properly.

Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I wouldn't worry about it really. It's your hair and what you do with it is ultimately your business

Length
    13/21.5/43
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

Thanks I will keep reminding myself of that.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I wouldn't lie to her. It will be so much worse if she finds out from somebody else that you weren't really out of town. I'd just go back to her and if she asks, say something like "I was experimenting".

Length
    22/31/term
    Type
    2c/F/i

Awww, your hairdresser will not hit you or anything. I remember when I went to mine after I hennaed my hair and she was mad. She told me don't ever henna your hair again.
    They love doing your hair. Don't feel bad. If she is trustworthy and takes good care of you just swallow your pride and tell her you screwed up.

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Here's the link to Feye's method, BTW. No *need* to go back to her.
    http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)