Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Bun Instructions & Troubleshooting

Length
    8 in./40 in/50 in
    Type
    1a/F/M/i

Default Re: Bun Instructions & Troubleshooting

That is a great tutorial for shorter or thinner haired. I am tbl and I make some buns pretty much like that.
    Oldest LHC Member Currently holding the title: The Eldest
    Radical Believer in the Kingdom of God being here at hand.

Length
    APL/FTL+/FTL?
    Type
    2a/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by meteor View Post
    ^ Ah, I think I get it now, thanks so much, SparrowWings! So happy to hear that you got the "blob" under control!

I'm realizing now, after reading your description that I must be flipping the braid upward, too, since that motion helps keep hair tightly off of neck/nape more and since I do those braided LWBs and braided L-Infinities and Spidermom's buns as high up as possible... Also, one thing the braided L-Infinity does is - it brings the bottom inches of the braid into action *on top* of the base (the 8-shaped wrapping occurs over the base), so it helps conceal/cover the base of the braid quite a bit.
    Some things I'm noticing with this alternate wrapping approach, after a few more days fooling with it:
    It actually seems to keep the nape just as tight either way, against all logical expectations.
    It is so much harder to center when starting down instead of up, because without the flip, the base is much less mobile.
    Without care when inserting the stick/fork, it's much easier to wind up having it pull and/or push quite uncomfortably, again because of the lack of base mobility. With it that much flatter against the head, there's less leeway for the toy to both adjust itself within the hair, and not press too hard against the scalp.

The jury's still out on this one. I do think it looks a lot better, but we'll see what I decide after playing with it some more. I should get back into trying some of the other buns again, too. There was no way my hair would let me securely fasten some of them unbraided, and it's only just starting to get long enough to try again braided. I braid super-tightly and it takes off some serious length. I can't help it; it's the only way my hands work!

Darn hair dressers and their misplaced bra straps... Looks like it'll be longer between hair cuts this time, with an extra 6 inches to regrow!
    <APL ~APL~BSL~MBL~WL~HL~TBL~Classic~ FTL ~ Knee???

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by SparrowWings View Post
    Some things I'm noticing with this alternate wrapping approach, after a few more days fooling with it:
    It actually seems to keep the nape just as tight either way, against all logical expectations.
    It is so much harder to center when starting down instead of up, because without the flip, the base is much less mobile.
    Without care when inserting the stick/fork, it's much easier to wind up having it pull and/or push quite uncomfortably, again because of the lack of base mobility. With it that much flatter against the head, there's less leeway for the toy to both adjust itself within the hair, and not press too hard against the scalp.
    ^ So much this! There is no way I'd easily center some styles without flipping the braid up tightly - it's almost the kinds of bumps/intersections that I imagine folks who French/Dutch-braid can get. And you can get that grip-at-the-base effect by doing an Ellingwoman base or something like a Luana braid, but they take longer/more effort than just flipping that English braid up.

Quote Originally Posted by SparrowWings View Post
    The jury's still out on this one. I do think it looks a lot better, but we'll see what I decide after playing with it some more. I should get back into trying some of the other buns again, too. There was no way my hair would let me securely fasten some of them unbraided, and it's only just starting to get long enough to try again braided. I braid super-tightly and it takes off some serious length. I can't help it; it's the only way my hands work!
    Oh yeah! I think braiding really reigns in hair so well for being able to bun it later. As it gets longer, it does often get easier without so much braiding, too, but it's still a much better hold with a braid or braids. Which is probably why, whenever a new thread pops up about updos for workouts/sports, braids (as a base for up-styles) reign supreme as the top recommendation, seemingly for practically all lengths. Even if more length is needed for 1 braid, there is always a way of doing multiple braids and then braiding them together ("warrior" braid I think it's sometimes called?), and on-scalp braiding and accent braids help take away some of the bulk.

Length
    22/25/45
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

Should I be able to do the Nautilus at BSL? I'm trying to follow this tutorial but I can't get it to work!!!
    CL ~ SL ~ APL ~ BSL ~ MBL ~ WL ~ HL ~ TBL ~ Classic
    No trim & no bleach from 11/10/2020

Length
    ?/MBL/FTL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by BuddhaBelle View Post
    Should I be able to do the Nautilus at BSL? I'm trying to follow this tutorial but I can't get it to work!!!
    There’s a few nautilus variations. At BSL I could do it if I twisted it slightly to start then wrapped the hair around my first three fingers. I found a double prong hair pin worked better than a stick to hold it, as for me it caught more hair. I used a 5” copper U shaped hair pin.
    NWSO since November 2020. Previously water only. Crossed to the dark side and now rocking sebum only. Feral hair nirvana loading...

Length
    APL/37/48
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Can you describe what your problem is? Is it a cercertain step in the video or do you not have enough hair left to finish the bun?

Length
    22/25/45
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Feral_ View Post
    There’s a few nautilus variations. At BSL I could do it if I twisted it slightly to start then wrapped the hair around my first three fingers. I found a double prong hair pin worked better than a stick to hold it, as for me it caught more hair. I used a 5” copper U shaped hair pin.
    Ooo I will try this thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Finda View Post
    Can you describe what your problem is? Is it a cercertain step in the video or do you not have enough hair left to finish the bun?
    I think I don't have enough hair in the end to pull through... Just end up with a weird twist haha
    CL ~ SL ~ APL ~ BSL ~ MBL ~ WL ~ HL ~ TBL ~ Classic
    No trim & no bleach from 11/10/2020

Length
    APL/37/48
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

I think I don't have enough hair in the end to pull through... Just end up with a weird twist haha
    It's sometimes hard to tell from pictures, but in case you have more hair than the person in the video you'll also need more length to do the bun. I usually do the torrin paige version (with the entire hand) and I have just enough hair to do it with hip/bcl length.
    Last edited by Finda; January 22nd, 2021 at 11:23 AM. Reason: grammar

Length
    Pixie/SL/WL?
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

In the video she doesn’t pull the ends through, just holds them with her fingers while finishing the bun. Would that work?