Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does an egg, olive oil and honey mask work wonders on damaged hair?

Length
    12''/18''/30''
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Question Does an egg, olive oil and honey mask work wonders on damaged hair?

So this girl which is Slavic told me she uses a hair mask once a week, which consist off: 1 egg,olive oil & honey.
    I am wondering if this mask is really good or she is just lucky and has beautiful hair?

Length
    SL/CL/CL
    Type
    2a/2b/M/iii

Default Re: Does an egg,olive oil and honey mask work wonders on damaged hair?

That sounds rather "meh" to me... egg proteins won't do anything for your hair, as they're too big to penetrate the hair shaft, olive oil is usually too heavy for some and again is too large molecularly to penetrate (unless you have rather high porosity hair), and honey is a good humectant. It might leave a nice coating on the hair, but past that I'm not so sure.

Lady Scarlette, Traveler of the Road to Dawn in the Order of Long Haired Knights
    Microtrimming/Maintaining at Classic | Wearing hair up since July '16 | WCC/LOC

Length
    birth/CLASS/long
    Type
    2a/M/ii

It is a good treatment olive oil and honey really will do your hair really good n make it soft. If you do add an egg then only add the yellow part not the white.

How can I control my life when I can't even control my hair!

Length
    SL/CBL/HL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

Be careful with the egg because depending on your hairs porosity and your own sensitivity to protein it's possible to get protein overload. I got it from one single egg and banana treatment. What the recipes usually say is for normal hair use the whole egg, if your hair is dry just the yolk and if it's oily just use the white.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I happen to like olive oil, as one of the few oils that really seems to make my hair feel soft. It's heavier than most and tends to make hair look oily more readily than most, but if I want some softening, olive is what I reach for. I prefer to use a couple drops as a leave-in, though.

Honey is another ingredient that works well in the right context. One of my favorite hair recipes, the SMT, uses honey, aloe gel, and conditioner. It's fantastic for hair that needs more moisture.

Egg is the one I'd hesitate on. People who need protein sometimes like it, but it seems to not be effective for long compared to more broken-down proteins like gelatin. Egg also has a reputation for being hard to rinse out of hair, and the people who use it regularly tend to advise using cold water. My hair rarely wants protein, so I mostly avoid it because I get rough and crispy hair if I use too much.

Bottom line: you might like it. None of it's likely to hurt, but it might throw things off a bit or be hard to get out. I'm not sure I'd personally use those three together in one treatment rather than picking and choosing them separately based on what my hair felt like it needed at the moment, but it's doable.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    23 cm/80 cm/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii/iii

Default Re: Does an egg, olive oil and honey mask work wonders on damaged hair?

Honestly for damaged hair I'd first try to figure out what you're doing to damage it and stop that before trying anything else. This mask might help some, but not in the long term if you don't also stop whatever led to the damage in the first place. After figuring that out, I'd probably go for an SMT before this mask, just because you have less of a risk of protein overload and the olive oil being too heavy for your hair. In the long run, it's what you do with your hair every day that's going to help with damage, not a once in a while deep treatment. Good luck!
    Lady Ambarussa of the Sunlit Forest in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!
    animetor7, or Ani Currently: Hip at 80 cm Next Goal: Tailbone at 102 cm

Length
    Tbl/Bsl/Bsl
    Type
    1b/1c/M/C/iii

I want to add an emphasis on Anje's post. Do use olive oil as a leavin, otherwise it is super hard to wash out. Use 1-2 drops, should look like a light sheen on your hand (like the effect hand lotion has).
    I would advise against egg, it makes your hair hard and stiff. Hard to do conditioning treatments until it washes out.
    I never tried honey though.
    Last edited by mermaid lullaby; November 7th, 2016 at 04:04 PM.
    Lady Undine of the shimmering shores, in Order of the Long Hair Knights

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

I love honey+olive oil mask as a pre-wash treatment for extremely dry hair. I just need to be careful not to use too much olive oil and/or not too frequently. But I think humectant+occlusive action can be pretty good specifically for dryness. Damaged, porous hair often has difficulty holding onto moisture in dry environments, so I think this mask might help in that particular aspect...

I've never tried eggs, because, honestly, I'd rather eat them instead , and I don't see how molecular size of egg protein could penetrate under the cuticle. I do use gelatin quite a bit as a DIY protein treatment though, and I think it helps temporarily strengthen fragile strands by coating them and making them a tiny bit stiffer. Gelatin is partly hydrolyzed collagen, which is pretty medium-large-ish in molecular size, so I think it can both penetrate (especially very porous hair) and has some film-forming properties. (A couple quick articles on hydrolyzed proteins & size: http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/...ning-part.html, http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca...t-protein.html)

Length
    buzz/FTL/FTL
    Type
    2b/C/ii

Yes to honey and olive oil, no to egg.

Washing egg out of my hair was a nightmare.

Length
    BSL/TBL/Term?
    Type
    2c/M/iii

Egg works only for some people, so be cautious. I have a friend who colors regularly and egg masks do wonders for her hair, though.

Olive oil might be a bit heavy to wash out.
    APL | BSL (23") | Midback (25.5") | Near Waist (28") | Waist+ (31") | Hip+ | TBL (33") | Classic (41") | Terminal
    Stretched. Hoping to reach TBL by December!