Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Washing after oil and essential oil treatments

Length
    CBL/WL/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Default Washing after oil and essential oil treatments

Does washing with clairifying shampoo after hot oil treatments or essential oils treatments pretty much wash away all the oils completely, making all the treatments pointless and wasting all the work you've done?

Im asking because I normally leave oil in all night, but I have a hard time sleeping with a plastic cap on my head. 2am this morning I ended up washing everything out I was so tired. What do you do after these treatments to avoid washing all the oils out?

I'd like to be able to sleep without a cap, and without getting oil all over the place. Should I use a silicone masque after a water rinse? Do you think that might help?
    Last edited by Mrstran; November 3rd, 2016 at 10:51 AM.

Length
    N/A/67/84/Termi
    Type
    3b/F/iii

Default Re: Washing after oil and essential oil treatments

Hi
    Have you ever slept with anything on your head, example beanie, satin bonnet, scarf, etc.
    As if you have not then you may find a plastic a challenge. Try not to cover your ears and keep it off your for head. Also try using a shower cap.

I hope that helps.

Our science and biology minds can answer the first part of your question. As to my understanding clarifying takes everything off, strips all oils.

The journey continues Eastbound&Down's Avatar
    Length
    Chin/WL/Hip+
    Type
    2c/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Mrstran View Post
    Does washing washing with clairifying shampoo after hot oil treatments or essential oils treatments pretty much wash away all the oils completely, making all the treatments pointless and wasting all the work you've done?

Im asking because I normally leave oil in all night, but I have a hard time sleeping with a plastic cap on my head. 2am this morning I ended up washing everything out I was so tired. What do you do after these treatments?
    I do CWC, conditioner removes oil much better than shampoo does. And as for leaving oil on overnight, I don't cover mine. I just put on an old pillowcase and go to sleep. Sometimes in the winter I may throw on a beanie, but only if it's really cold.
    CL(14")~SL(15")~APL(20")~BSL(24")~WL(27")~HL(30")~TBL(34")

Length
    CBL/WL/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Kat-Rinnč Naido View Post
    Hi
    Have you ever slept with anything on your head, example beanie, satin bonnet, scarf, etc.
    As if you have not then you may find a plastic a challenge. Try not to cover your ears and keep it off your for head. Also try using a shower cap.

I hope that helps.

Our science and biology minds can answer the first part of your question. As to my understanding clarifying takes everything off, strips all oils.
    Yeah, I end up laying in bed for hours trying to sleep with the plastic cap on my head. Those things are just itchy and uncomfortable overall. I'd like to keep the effects of the oil without having to wash them all out.

Length
    N/A/67/84/Termi
    Type
    3b/F/iii

You could try applying it first thing in the morning on your day off. And wash out after 5 hours. Then you don't have to sleep with it.
    Or apply early keep it under a plastic cap, remove the cap when going to bed

Length
    CBL/WL/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Kat-Rinnč Naido View Post
    You could try applying it first thing in the morning on your day off. And wash out after 5 hours. Then you don't have to sleep with it.
    Or apply early keep it under a plastic cap, remove the cap when going to bed
    I'll take your advice on that. I wanted to get the full effect and sleep on it. I'm sure 5 hours will do. I'll just have to stay in all day and pamper myself.

Length
    N/A/67/84/Termi
    Type
    3b/F/iii

Lovely, now you have a pamper day planned. I love the thought of it. Sometimes we get so caught up with stuff and forget about nurturing ourselves.

Length
    birth/CLASS/long
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Mrstran View Post
    Does washing with clairifying shampoo after hot oil treatments or essential oils treatments pretty much wash away all the oils completely, making all the treatments pointless and wasting all the work you've done?

Im asking because I normally leave oil in all night, but I have a hard time sleeping with a plastic cap on my head. 2am this morning I ended up washing everything out I was so tired. What do you do after these treatments to avoid washing all the oils out?

I'd like to be able to sleep without a cap, and without getting oil all over the place. Should I use a silicone masque after a water rinse? Do you think that might help?
    Oh man that must've been uncomfortable. I do like eastbound&down I don't cover my head with anything if I have oil in my hair, I just braid my hair upside down and wrap it around my head and sleep. I also use conditioner to wash out my oil not shampoo which never washed it all out for me.

As for your question when hair absorbs oils so it doesn't get too much water in the hair during a hair wash it protects it hence the benefit of oil before wash being useful.

How can I control my life when I can't even control my hair!

Length
    Pixie/TBL/???
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

You might get some effect from the oil but the point of clarifying is to strip everything out of the hair, so better not to go that route if you don't have to. Using a milder shampoo or diluting the stronger one might be better if you want the oil to have maximum effect.
    Nique ~ Journeying from pixie in 2011 to who knows where

Pixie ~ Shoulder ~ APL ~ BSL ~ Waist ~ Hip ~ BCL ~ Tailbone ~ Classic ~ Fingertip ~ Knee?

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

If you're using an oil that absorbs into the hair, yes, you're still getting some benefit. The oil will reduce hair shaft swelling during the wash, which is generally considered beneficial. Also, some oils (mainly coconut) have been demonstrated to reduce the amount of hair protein that lost from the hair during the washing process, if you soak beforehand. (I'm gonna let Meteor swoop in the citations, because the few articles I have saved are in my other browser, and I'm sleep-deprived from watching the Cubs last night.) In my mind, this sort of goes out the window if it represents an additional wash that you didn't otherwise need, because you got the impulse to oil basically clean hair. But if you were going to wash your hair in the morning anyway, it probably reduced the negative impacts that washing can have on the hair.

Some people like to do a heavy oiling for a few hours before every wash, because their hair comes out better. Personally, I never found it made a substantial difference for me, so I don't tend to do it and prefer to lightly oil right after a wash. Most of this is just about finding what works for you and what gives you the results you like.

ETA: I'd try wrapping the hair in a scarf that can be washed, or put a towel over your pillow, to prevent the oil from getting everywhere. Some people sleep with all sorts of gooey things on their head (like henna) wrapped in plastic, but I don't know how they manage it. I normally stick to cheap, breathable, washable poly sleep bonnets.
    Last edited by Anje; November 3rd, 2016 at 12:00 PM.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!