Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Adding msm/ biotin powder to scalp treatments/shampoo experiment!

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Adding msm/ biotin powder to scalp treatments/shampoo experiment!

Topically might not be beneficial, but it is effective internally - those effects might not include faster growth for everyone though, and it can increase the effects of medication so if it is something you're interested in then research is a must. But it's most likely worth looking into it at least
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    CL/BSL/TBL
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    Topically might not be beneficial, but it is effective internally - those effects might not include faster growth for everyone though, and it can increase the effects of medication so if it is something you're interested in then research is a must. But it's most likely worth looking into it at least
    Yes, I take msm internally (2 weeks in haha) and did my research beforehand. But then I saw the way of applying it topically and got really curious. Doing some extra research couldn't hurt anybody!

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    This is my take, too. I don't see why this would work topically based on how MSM and Biotin actually work within the body. Topical treatments generally help with reducing fungus, increasing circulation to the scalp, etc. Neither of these does that.

Length
    ~WL/BCL/TBL+
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lora410 View Post
    Has anyone opened up a biotin or msm capsule and added it to your scalp treatments or shampoos? Not sure why but all the sudden I wondered if it would do any good? You can buy biotin shampoo so why not add it to scalp treatments and or shampoos. I take it internally but think this would be kinda neat to try. Anyone want to try this with me and log our results?
    I take MSM powder (not tablets or caplets) daily. I made a MSM solution to spritz on my scalp and have had good results for the purpose I'm using it for, growing in a thin spot.
    SL-->APL-->BSL-->MBL-->WL-->HL-->BCL-->TBL-->CL--->
    ~~~~~
    I henna!

Length
    23/23/26
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

How much MSM do those of you who take it internally take? I've just started taking MSM powder 2tsp a day for a week now.

Length
    CL/BSL/TBL
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

I take 3/4 teaspoon (3 grams) daily which should be 3000 mcg. I take it for 3 weeks now and my nails have grown so much already. Before taking msm my nails would never grow and they were chipping so easily. Huge difference and I'm quite impressed. Never had this before when I took biotin a few years back. My skin looks better too. However, it will take a bit longer to see what it does for my hair.

Length
    ~WL/BCL/TBL+
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by CathelinaNicole View Post
    How much MSM do those of you who take it internally take? I've just started taking MSM powder 2tsp a day for a week now.
    I've been holding steady at 10 g for quite some time. I know some have taken a lot more but that seems to be the dosage my body likes.
    ~~~~~
    I henna!

Length
    ~WL/BCL/TBL+
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by cestlavie View Post
    I take 3/4 teaspoon (3 grams) daily which should be 3000 mcg. I take it for 3 weeks now and my nails have grown so much already. Before taking msm my nails would never grow and they were chipping so easily. Huge difference and I'm quite impressed. Never had this before when I took biotin a few years back. My skin looks better too. However, it will take a bit longer to see what it does for my hair.
    I think that should be 3 grams = 3000 mg not mcg
    ~~~~~
    I henna!

Length
    ~WL/BCL/TBL+
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

I've been on MSM for years. IME, MSM is one supplement that you should do your research. It's one where you should definitely start at a smaller dosage using powder not tablets and work up the dosage. Also, many have reported negative side effects like vivid dreams or sleep disturbances if MSM is taken too close to bedtime. The recommendation is to not take MSM after 2 pm. YMMV
    ~~~~~
    I henna!

Length
    23/23/26
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

I agree, do the research before taking MSM as a supplement. I personally, have not had any issues with it thus far. However, some experience nausea, headaches, stomach pains, diarrhea, insomnia, and I've even read that some people may have sensitivities to alcohol. So definitely start small and gradually up your dose if that's concerning to you, or reduce your dose if you experience those symptoms.

As for putting it in products, i'm sure its fine. I see plenty of topical stuff that contain MSM. I don't know how effective it will be for hair growth in particular, i'm curious though!