Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I give up! My hair is permanently dry!

Length
    28/30/31ish
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Unhappy I give up! My hair is permanently dry!

Conditioning doesn't work, vinegar doesn't, bi-carb soda doesn't, oil doesn't, leave-ins sort of do but cost too much and waste resources.

It's very wavy/slightly curly, so it feels disgusting unless I brush it. When I brush it it's only good when it's a bit oilier (ie. DD 2 or 3), otherwise it's complete fuzz!!

I've been trying so hard to make it better and I'm starting to lose heart! Anyone else in a similar boat? Suggestions? Thanks!
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr Seuss

Length
    Nape/Waist/Waist
    Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: I give up! My hair is permanently dry!

How are you using your oil and how much are you using?

Length
    28/30/31ish
    Type
    2c/M/ii

I've tried both olive oil and almond oil. I put some (a 50-cent coin, a large coin, sized amount) on the palm of my hand and rub my palms together, then run it through my very damp hair.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr Seuss

Length
    15/26/31
    Type
    2a/F/i/ii

for what its worth, I'm using 3 drops of camelia/almond oil in my hair from the ears down after its dabbed dry with towel following washing and conditioning. This makes it feels soft and silky......
    but, if I don't use oil and conditioner my hair is stick dry too.

Length
    ?/26/30++
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

could it be build up? Do you wash with sulfate-containing shampoos? that might help clean off the gunk that *could* be making your hair feel dryer...mine gets very dull if I go too long between shampooings...

my BF has similar hair as yours and the best thing he has found is Burt's Bees avocado treatment as a leave-in. he only needs a tiny bit, but it tames that wild, frizzled, dry, poofy look well. It isn't wasteful, at all, and since I can not convince him to use conditioner or teach him when to use it, it is a nice low maintenance solution to the problem.
    Feb 2013, solid BSL again but shedding. Wondering if this is really terminal length. Hairtype 1b/2b, F/M, ii

Length
    15.5/APL/Bra
    Type
    1c/2a/F/iii

Too much oil can make the ends crunchy. I read that here on the board but couldn't begin to find it. Have you had a chance to try coconut oil? Also, Have you tried COing? COing usually uses the cheap stuff. What about SMTs?

You sound so frustrated. Consider yourself hugged

Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii/iii

I have dry hair, dry scalp, dry skin, dry lips. I mist it, bun it, put sheabutter balsam on my ends. I never brush, once a day comb - but I'm a 1b so I don't know how your hair would look unbrushed.

For everyday use, I put some drops of camellia oil in distilled water and mist my hair with it. I have to shake really well before but this is the method my hair likes oil best. Before washes, I deep-oil (usually with olive oil which has great effect on my hair and skin) but I'm not fit to be seen with an oily head. So for everyday use, I use the mister. You may like to add aloe vera gel to the mix.

My hair needs moisture, so I add honey to my conditioner. This is supposed to help, I didn't do it often enough to judge for myself. Another thing you might like to try is cocaloe - coconut oil mixed with aloe vera gel. Gives moisture AND oil. For me, it's too oily, but you might have better luck.

Don't give up. This is your hair, you'll have to deal with it anyway.
    1b F ii/iii
    92cm/36.2"

Type
    1a/F/ii/iii

Goldenwaves.

If it makes you feel any better, I've been going through a really bad dry-hair phase lately. I live in the U.S. Southwest where we have almost NO humidity. And even though I don't even own any heated hair appliances, the dryness has gotten so bad that I've had trouble getting a wide-toothed comb through my 1a hair! Can't remember the last time that happened...

Anyway, I just bought some Biolage Conditioning Balm (no cones). I used a clarifying shampoo Saturday, and then immediately coated my hair with the stuff and left it on overnight. My hair felt more moisturized the next day and shined (!), but was still somewhat dry.

So this past evening I just rinsed my hair and applied more of the stuff. I'm actually typing this with my Biolage-coated hair up in a bun....and a plastic baggie covering the whole thing!

There's no stopping me now!!! This stuff is staying in until I have lovely moisturized hair. I'm tired of this hair being a fire-hazzard.

Also, as I recall oils seal in moisture rather than moisturize on their own. That's why we're always told to apply oils to our still-damp bodies right after showering... to seal in the moisture our skin has already absorbed.

Length
    10"/25"/31"
    Type
    1b/M/ii

My daughter has the same hair type as you and it needs 3 times the attention that my stick straight hair does. Firstly don't give up it can look and feel soft. I would try using leave in conditioner lots and lots, no matter how silly you look, use it for a week very heavily, even at night after that apply only a little bit after wash days. Have a trim if you have damage from heat or dye and some good s&d. You need a leave in 24hours at first use a good thick one like Aussie 3MM then just use a normal conditioner and put in you hair when damp. Condition, condition and condition and don't get lazy with it.
    "A Kind Answer Turns Away Anger" NKJ Version
    Previous Journal at the LHC Archives

Length
    short/short/long
    Type
    3b/F/M/ii

Since your hair IS borderline curly, maybe try givingup the brush for a while?

Maybe clarifying might work, but there could be another culprit. Have you cheked your hair products and suchfor protein? Often times it can make hair feel crunchy and be a large pain in the rear; just ask Kirin. If there's anything like 'silk amino acids', 'silk extract', 'wheat protein', etc etc, your hair might be suffering from protein overload.
    (Lord Caswallawn of the Crushing Blow in the Order of Longhaired Knights)