Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cassia leaves, are those it?

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: Cassia leaves, are those it?

Quote Originally Posted by Anje View Post
    Right. Same staining chemical present. I haven't done the direct comparisons (and I'm sure it varies with crop like henna), but I'm pretty sure Nightshade did compare Cassia obovata with the S. alexandrina that Herbco sells, and the S. alexandrina stained a bit stronger. I have been using it to dilute down my henna for the last year or so. (This stuff.)
    I did! Here you go

That's Senna italica (cassia obovata) on the left and Senna alexandrea on the right, tested on white mohair for 2 hours
    I was a little skeptical when I investigated this, but I was happily surprised to find that not only did the Senna alexandrea produce great stain, but the mud also had a gel-like consistency, much like one finds with henna.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Looks like true light blonds would have to be more careful with the "laxative". I know I keep saying laxative, but that's how I remember the difference. Sorry. I'm surprised though that the cassia didn't leave more of a stain as I've seen it color more yellow IRL (on gray and very light blonde).
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

My guess is that these things depend a lot in the crop.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Yep, that's probably it!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

This thread is a treasure, thanks! Can I still ask from Nightshade, if you used this laxative-strong-cassia in powder- or leave -form?
    If it's very lemon-toned, I think it's good to mix with a bit of henna and maybe also with even smaller amount of indigo... And then I just don't let it sit too long on my hair, if I want my hair to be golden blonde.

Cassia obovata is doing nothing with my stubborn greys, Cassia auriculata even less I think.
    Last edited by Priska; November 4th, 2022 at 05:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Looks like true light blonds would have to be more careful with the "laxative". I know I keep saying laxative, but that's how I remember the difference. Sorry. I'm surprised though that the cassia didn't leave more of a stain as I've seen it color more yellow IRL (on gray and very light blonde).
    I just decided to order me this laxative Cassia with this name "laxative" to make sure that I get the right one

Length
    BSL/TBL/TERM
    Type
    1b/C/ii/iii

I’ve used the senna alexandrina (the laxative) in powder form in combination with fenugreek, honey, aloe powder and my diy infused henna oil with some water, the muddy texture is pretty pleasant. The smell, not so much. No evident stain in my naturally dark hair, I probably use it once a month as my pre-poo deep conditioning treatment.
    As usual, I don’t find any spectacular changes in shine or texture, my hair always stays pretty much the same after any treatment, even after I changed from weekly shampoo to monthly shampoo, if anything, I actually shed less because less manipulation and more protection. At least now I take less effort in my hair care routine, I just need to use some of the oils and ayurvedic herbs regularly so I feel better about hoarding them (and my mom won’t threaten to throw them out).
    Last edited by tuanyiji; November 4th, 2022 at 12:35 PM.
    99cm 1b/C/10.6cm Fingercomb/Bun/Water-only No-Trim/Elastic/Heat
    [Youtube][Instagram][My Hair Story][Shed Hair Hand-tie Project][ABC Hairstyle Challenge]

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Ankle/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Hmm, any UK longhairs know where to get senna alexandrina in powder form?
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness