Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can't decide between dirty blonde hair or dark brown hair…having health problems?

Default Can't decide between dirty blonde hair or dark brown hair…having health problems?

Hey everyone! I need some advice and suggestions about hair. I have been having health problems (mainly low iron, some other health problems too but that's the main thing). Because of this, I've lost a lot of hair and it has become thin, limp, and lifeless. It is also very dry and mats and tangles together. I'm losing a lot of hair in the comb because it is matting so bad and it takes like 30 minutes to comb it out. I'm working on getting my iron up. Btw is 18mg in an iron supplement enough to get very low ferritin up or should I take twice that (36mg)? My doctor told me 18mg but I want to get it up fast and trust me, I'm so low I won't overdose. She's going to be checking it regularly. My ferritin is around 5. My doctor says it should be 70-80 so I don't know if 18mg can get it there fast (a couple months) or if it would take forever. But 36mg might take forever too I don't know.

So anyway I am so exhausted I don't have the energy to put on makeup, do my hair, and can barely take a shower. My hair looks awful! School is starting again soon and I want to get it looking nice and at least presentable so I'm happy and confident. My hair looks so bad I've lost a lot of confidence. I've been trying to decide whether to go dirty blonde or dark brown. So I could really use some feedback on that. It's driving me insane and when I decide on a color, I change my mind a couple days later. If it's brown I like it long and straight. Blonde I'm more so okay with wearing it natural which would probably work better until I get my health better because I don't have the energy to straighten it. But going blonde is going to require either bleach or blonde dye and I'm assuming both are very harsh on the hair and it might fall out. If I were to go brown, I've used Redken Shades EQ several times before. It's very moisturizing to my hair and the comb goes through like butter, no tangles. I know it's demi-permanent and all hair dyes cause some damage, but I don't notice any noticeable damage at all from it. It helped my hair when it was extremely dry like this before. It also made my hair grow faster. I know that sounds ridiculous but it did. So if I dye it dark brown, I'm set on using this dye.

I'm not sure what to do. I have an appointment for a cut. My hair really needs it and hopefully that will help somewhat. I do not like the color I have currently at all. I don't know whether dirty blonde hair or dark brown hair will look better on me and which one will help my hair more to where it can look nice but still recover. Here are some pictures. Please give me your thoughts and any advice and suggestions you have. Thanks in advance!

Here are some pictures of the dark brown hair from Redken Shades EQ. Sorry about the sunburn in the last picture.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=xo33mc&s=9#.V4dNlEv5ods
    http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2eaq...9#.V4dPZkv5ods
    http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=148j...9#.V4dSiEv5ods
    http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=sb0dww&s=9#.V4dTKEv5ods

Here are some pictures with dirty blonde hair.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=152z...9#.V4dPvkv5ods
    http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=30v1...9#.V4dQO0v5ods
    http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=14sp...9#.V4dQukv5ods
    http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=30bz...9#.V4dSHEv5ods

Here's how it looks now. Don't like the color at all. Very dry and unhealthy looking.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=clqac&s=9#.V4dREEv5ods

Length
    27/47/???
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Default Re: Can't decide between dirty blonde hair or dark brown hair…having health problems?

Actually I like your current color on you. Going lighter may give you more tangle problems from damage, and going darker with conventional dye could also do that too. You might try a deposit only dye? Like manic panic.
    More than anything else, I think it needs moisture. It looks kind of curly and a lot of curlies need a lot of moisture. Heavy conditioners, maybe condition twice when you wash, or try conditioner only washing. Use a leave in too.
    If you have damage, you might find protein helpful. On the other hand, since you're having real tangling problems, if you're using protein containing products it might be a good idea to try avoiding protein since some people find it makes them tangly.
    I really find getting enough moisture into my hair helps with tangles.
    I'm afraid to give advice on iron. I really think you should have the doctor's ok before increasing the dose.

Default Re: Can't decide between dirty blonde hair or dark brown hair…having health problems?

Thank you for the suggestions! I'm glad you like my current color. I don't like it at all though and I'm set on dying it. I'm just not sure about which color. I will try lots of moisture and conditioner. I've been using the conditioner Redken All Soft for a while and it seems to be making it worse so I've stopped using it. Does it have protein in it? That could be why. I haven't dyed or used heat on my hair in years so I don't think there's damage. I think it needs a lot of moisture like you said.

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I'm just going off of the last picture and I like the color a lot!

Now it's shedding so much, I would *not* add chemical dyes to the mix (you never know how your scalp will take it). You might even shed more. I don't mean to scare you, but I think I'd be careful.

I would also do what your doctor tells you. It's easy to overdo iron, and you need to bring that back into your system slowly. Just don't take double the dosage that was prescribed to you. It should be all on the mend as of now.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Sunscreen obsessed weirdo kaydana's Avatar
    Length
    BSL/TBL/TBL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I'd go with brown, especially if you have a dye that works for you, but try out some heatless styling techniques if you aren't happy with your natural texture. Braid waves are my favourite for wearing hair loose, because it looks "done" without much effort (I find running a little bit of gel through the ends before braiding keeps the waves looking neat throughout the day)

Length
    Chin/WL/Clsc
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

I also think that dyeing it right now is taking a risk. If it's super dry and shedding a lot, the dye might add another issue to it. I don't know for sure though.

Have you tried deep conditioning treatments? Maybe do some SMTs? I think moisture moisture moisture will help you the most!

Definitely follow your doctors advice about the iron. They prescribed it that way for a reason. You can always ask them if you can double the dosage but they will likely have a very good reason for giving you the dosage you were prescribed. Do not double it without asking! Don't risk your health.
    ◊∞◊ lady seren, charter of the stars in the order of the long haired knights ◊∞◊
    CL - SL - APL- BSL - MBL- WL - HL - TBL
    last box dye: 10/2015 || last cut: 04/2016 || last henndigo: 08/2016 || last henna: 07/2017

Length
    25/381/2/43
    Type
    1b/M/ii

If your set on coloring it and you decide on the blonde because you say you will wear it natural more often then why not just highlight it for now? see how well those hairs respond to the color? it may make you feel a little better without damaging all of your hair.I had the same problem years ago and I was afraid to do anything to my hair so a friend talked me into highlights and I was glad she did because my hair felt so much better but before I did it I did prep my hair for a little while by deep conditioning, a slight trim and proper nutrition. Good luck on whatever you decide to do and if you can talk to your Dr. about the benefits of drinking or eating more spinach it's full of iron

Type
    2a/F/i

Please take the iron supplements as prescribed. Doubling them up on your own can be very dangerous and is not a good idea. Help it along by eating iron rich foods.

I don't really have much of an opinion on the color, I just wanted to say I love your curls. I would dye my hair the least damaging color (brown) and then I'd baby the heck out of it. Moisture, oil, protein if your hair likes it, and keep it up.

BSL: Made it!Off to Waist!

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

So why do you want to dye your hair? It will not make it any healthier and will very likely make it worse.
    CBL 2015 - BCL 2019

⋆Cut back to BSL 10.21.2019 and the journey starts anew⋆

Length
    SL/CL/CL
    Type
    2a/2b/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lithostoic View Post
    So why do you want to dye your hair? It will not make it any healthier and will very likely make it worse.
    I know when I go through drastic life changes, my first urge is to change my hair. It's a way to have control over something when something traumatic happens.

Lady Scarlette, Traveler of the Road to Dawn in the Order of Long Haired Knights
    Microtrimming/Maintaining at Classic | Wearing hair up since July '16 | WCC/LOC