Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alternatives to conditioner?

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Default Alternatives to conditioner?

I am someone who NEEDS conditioner. If I skip it even once my hair tangles at the slightest movement. I'm not even able to braid it. I cowash in between shampoos, in which I cwc. So conditioner is very important in my routine.

But no matter what conditioner I use, I always manage to get acne on my back because of it. I try to keep my hair off my back when it's got conditioner but there's really no avoiding it altogether. It's itchy, painful, and ugly. My face doesn't break out nearly as much as my back does and I don'tt have good skin by any means.

Any suggestions as to what I can do instead?
    CBL 2015 - BCL 2019

⋆Cut back to BSL 10.21.2019 and the journey starts anew⋆

Length
    SL/apl/???
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Re: Alternatives to conditioner?

Could you wash your hair with your head down (forward) in order to avoid it touching your back? I think if it was me I'd try that, then put a shower cap over my clean hair before getting into the shower to avoid any residue running over my back.
    shoulder 16" - apl 20" - bsb 24" -mbl 25" - waist 28" - hip 32" - bcl 36"

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

diddiedaisy No because then the front of my hair wouldn't get wet.
    CBL 2015 - BCL 2019

⋆Cut back to BSL 10.21.2019 and the journey starts anew⋆

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Well, the solution I see a lot is to rinse out the conditioner and otherwise finish the hair steps, then wrap your hair up (shower cap, bun, towel, whatever), and scrub your back with soap before you finish your shower.

I got by for quite a while with vinegar rinses and oiling my hair, when I was doing a modified WO routine. But my length didn't love it long-term. (It might now, as it seems to like oils more now than it did then.)

Some people get slip from things like tea rinses. Catnip is popular. There are also various masks you can make with fruits, oils, etc.

For what it's worth, washing upside-down often works better if you get a handheld shower sprayer, so you can position it as needed. But I generally dislike the process as uncomfortable and tangle-causing, plus it puts my hair down where I could step on it or it tries to go down the drain.
    Last edited by Anje; July 6th, 2016 at 11:56 AM.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    Chin/MBL+/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/i

I am used couple of times mix of water and AVG (Aloe vera gel) 50/50 both + little bit apple cider vinegar. I made it to spray bottle and shake and then sprayed to almost dry hair. I wait about 10 min then start to comb carefully. Sorry my english; Im not 5 years just foreign.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Hinza View Post
    I am used couple of times mix of water and AVG (Aloe vera gel) 50/50 both + little bit apple cider vinegar. I made it to spray bottle and shake and then sprayed to almost dry hair. I wait about 10 min then start to comb carefully. Sorry my english; Im not 5 years just foreign.
    Your English is easy to understand! Welcome to our forum.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    zip/calf/term
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

I haven't tried this with shampoo-shampoo, but I don't use conditioner with my shampoo bars, just an acidic rinse. My hair feels squeaky until I rinse it and then it magically sleeks down like silk. With very hard water or lots of build up you might need to mix a bit of citric acid and vinegar, with softer water, you might be okay with just vinegar. Could not hurt to try for a wash or two since it is likely something you have in the cupboard. I like apple cider vinegar, but you can also use white vinegar (ACV has a darkening effect for some, so people with lighter hair often prefer white vinegar). I have even heard of people using lemon or lime juice, but you might want to read up on a good dilution.

ACV is often touted as being good for acne as well! If it does not work in place of conditioner, you might also just give it a go as a final rinse. When I briefly tried using "normal" products again, I found I had the best results still using an acid rinse and so do many other people locally.

From zero to hero

All posts are made as a regular member unless they are in modbold.

Length
    Chin/MBL+/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/i

Thanks, I try to write thorough and slowly checking words sometimes.. hehe

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lithostoic View Post
    I am someone who NEEDS conditioner. If I skip it even once my hair tangles at the slightest movement. I'm not even able to braid it. I cowash in between shampoos, in which I cwc. So conditioner is very important in my routine.

But no matter what conditioner I use, I always manage to get acne on my back because of it. I try to keep my hair off my back when it's got conditioner but there's really no avoiding it altogether. It's itchy, painful, and ugly. My face doesn't break out nearly as much as my back does and I don'tt have good skin by any means.

Any suggestions as to what I can do instead?
    What I do is after washing my scalp (and hair) with shampoo, I wrap a towel/T-shirt around my scalp like a scarf/turban to let that area towel-dry and I put conditioner on length, wrap the length in cling film or plastic bag and get out of the shower. I let conditioner sit like this on length for 10-30 minutes. Then I rinse out only this length (hair hanging forward over bath tub) and by that time, my scalp area is already towel-dried. This saves on washing/drying time a lot, but also allows you to avoid conditioner touching skin.

Alternatively, pre-poo oiling with penetrating oils (e.g. coconut, olive, etc) or honey+oil masks or coconut milk or yogurt-based concoctions as pre-poo treatments, acidic rinses and LOC routines can allow you to reduce the need in conditioning. Leave-in conditioners/oils/serums can be a good alternative for conditioning, if you manage to find products that give the right amount of slip for you.

Length
    SL/apl/???
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I meant using the shower head, with your head tipped forward before you get into the shower. I sometimes shampoo my hair like this if I'm going to do a treatment, you just use your spare hand to swish the water to wet all of your hair. I also rinse out hair dye using this method, I just kneel on the floor and stick my head into the shower cubicle.
    shoulder 16" - apl 20" - bsb 24" -mbl 25" - waist 28" - hip 32" - bcl 36"