Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is going on with these strands?

Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Default What is going on with these strands?

I have a few weird strands of hair. I find both short and long strands like this. Some start out fine and halfway down are like this, some from root to tip. Some are completly smooth to the touch, some feels rougher or thicker. The main problem is the pigmentchange. It looks kind of like zebra-stripes, going from my colour to a much lighter color and back. But if I twist the strand, the colorchanges switch around. Hard to explain, but if one thinks of a hair not like completly round cylinder, but more flattened on the front and back. The front is lighter or reflects more light or something, and the back darker, and the strand has kind of corkscrewed on it's own.
    There is just a few of these, maybe 10 or so that I've found, and I have no idea what to do with them. Leave them be? Pull them out? Cut where they feel rougher? And no idea what may cause this.
    The rougher hairs tend to be grabby, so they grab nearby strands and make a silly knot, so I have been cutting those, but some are rough all the way to about 5cm from my scalp.

Sorry if the images are too big, any help or tips would be highly appreciated
    The first image you can see the colorchanges, on the second the thicker part. Please ignore the cat hairs

APL(22inches)-BSL(28 inches)-Current(29inches)-Waist(33inches)

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Default Re: What is going on with these strands?

Its fairly normal to find a few hairs with weird texture or color, best to just leave them be. Even though I'm a natural blond with fine hair, I sometimes find coarse black hairs on my head.

Length
    BSL/WL+/Clas
    Type
    2b/M/iii

I have a lot of these. Especially in my new growth and frizzies. I think they're normal.

Most of my hair is fine and medium light-med. golden brown. Occasionally I find a very coarse dark hair. My mom says those are the "Indian hairs" because we're part native. She's silly.

Same kinky hair top and back head. I used conditionner only before i discovered them!!! I m stressed also.

Length
    Buzz/BSL/Hip
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

I have these too and have noticed them since I started paying more attention to my hair (3-4yrs ago). Over this time I've had different levels of stress, nutrition etc and they have stayed relatively constant if thats any reassurance
    Virgin colour grown out ✅ Waist reached ✅
    Now heading towards hip!

Perhaps stress ...

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

It is perfectly normal to have various strands on your head. Doesn't mean a thing. You're fine!

I have one thick coarse, black, tightly coiled, hair right next to a tiny bump (mole?) on my head. It never grows very long, but it is *thick*, wow buddy. I just leave it be.

Best not to pluck those hairs out!!!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Could be damaged cuticles? If the cuticle layers are raised or missing either partly or completely, I would imagine they would affct the way the hair feels and how light scatters on the hair.
    shoulder -- APL​-- BSL -- waist

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by ALEXIAA View Post
    Perhaps stress ...
    I don't think you can get a texture change from stress. Doesn't make your follicles do funny things.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)