Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smelly hair?

Length
    Pixie/1"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Default Smelly hair?

solved: It was from Cassia

Anyone here ever have issues with their hair absorbing odors that just won't wash away? Twice this year my hair started smelling like dirty wet dog and no amount of washing would help. I tried clarifying, baby poo, various sulfate based with heavy scents, no/low sulfates & ACV rinses.

The only thing that removed the smell is DHs odor remover poo that is used by hunters but its very drying. Does anyone have any suggestions in case this happens again?
    Last edited by Obsidian; July 5th, 2016 at 10:30 PM.
    Starting over with 1" buzz. To grow or not to grow, that is the question.

Length
    CBL/BSL/TBL
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Default Re: Smelly hair?

I find cinnamon to be a good smell neutralizer. After I started using cinnamon in my henna, my henna only smells like the fruit tea I mix it with. No grassy, earthy smell, and it doesn't smell like cinnamon either. After it's rinsed out my hair smells slightly herby/spicy. It's a godsend since I hate the smell of henna. So maybe try mixing some cinnamon in your shampoo? I use about a little under a teaspoon in 100grams of henna.

June 2018: Big chop
    CBL - APL - BSL - Waist - Hip - BCL - TBL

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    Anyone here ever have issues with their hair absorbing odors that just won't wash away? Twice this year my hair started smelling like dirty wet dog and no amount of washing would help. I tried clarifying, baby poo, various sulfate based with heavy scents, no/low sulfates & ACV rinses.

The only thing that removed the smell is DHs odor remover poo that is used by hunters but its very drying. Does anyone have any suggestions in case this happens again?
    Is there anything else you did out of routine before those times that you can pinpoint as the "cause"?
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Is there anything else you did out of routine before those times that you can pinpoint as the "cause"?
    This is what I'm wondering too. Are you doing anything (maybe sticking your hair in a bun while damp and leaving it for a day or two to dry that way) that might be contributing?
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    Pixie/1"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Not that I can think of. I'm using different poo/con now and haven't been using any leave in's or oil. The only thing that comes to mind is its been hot and my head sweats under my ponytail. My hair dries pretty quick and I never put it up damp, when I do get sweaty, I take it so it can dry. I've been washing my hair daily and my SD isn't flaring.

I'll have to try cinnamon sometime, it sounds nice. I've been using orange EO in my henna, it helps but it still smells like wet hay. I did henna roughly two weeks ago and it still smelled slightly of hay.

OH, I just though of something. I used Cassia with my henna last time. There was a good chance I was using cassia last time this happened too. My mud doesn't smell like this but I wonder if something in the cassia is binding odors to my hair?

EDIT: after a quick google search, seems like Cassia does indeed smell like wet dog on some peoples hair. Guess I'm done with that stuff, lol
    Last edited by Obsidian; July 4th, 2016 at 12:52 PM.

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Problem solved!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    CBL/BSL/TBL
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Well I've started using 50/50 henna cassia, still with cinnamon, and I didn't smell like wet dog. So worth a try :P

June 2018: Big chop
    CBL - APL - BSL - Waist - Hip - BCL - TBL

I fill mine full of tea tree and lavender conditioner (one of the generic products at Sally Beauty) and then don't rinse it out 100%. And sometimes I add a bit of lavender mint oil massaged into my scalp.

Length
    Pixie/1"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

I honestly don't think any herbs or scented products will cover this smell, its very strong. What really weird is it doesn't show up for at least a week after I henna and it just gets stronger and stronger until I used the odor removing shampoo.
    Id like to find a cassia alternative, something that will add a permanent/semi permanent yellow color but if not, I'll just go back to straight henna.

Length
    zip/calf/term
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

I use cloves in my henna mixture, but I have never had any sort of wet dog smell from cassia or henna. The cloves are very strong smelling though!

From zero to hero

All posts are made as a regular member unless they are in modbold.