Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: YouTube "hair gurus"

Length
    SL/FTL/CL
    Type
    2a/2b/M/iii

Default YouTube "hair gurus"

Is it just me or does everyone else get "how to grow you hair fast" videos in their suggestions on YouTube and watch them out of curiosity?

I find it humorous how many of these people are saying "oh don't use heat on your hair or it will stop growing!"... yeah, because that's totally how that works! And then they proceed to show a flat iron and curling iron, and this straightener brush, and this...WHAT

Or "I only use high-end products, I don't use low-end things like *snotty voice* Pantene, it just coats your hair!" ... yeah. That's what silicones do!! and high-end, or low end silicones will do that!

And lastly, "I take biotin and it made my hair grow four inches in one month!", if that's the case... you should really see a doctor, as that's simply not possible without an underlying problem. Ugh!

I can't help but laugh at these videos now that I've been on LHC so often... Hair is so individual that these "facts" (or myths as we call them here) are just...no. Please tell me I'm not the only who who audibly rolls their eyes at all of this.

Lady Scarlette, Traveler of the Road to Dawn in the Order of Long Haired Knights

Account Closed by Member Request

Default Re: YouTube "hair gurus"

Especially the claims on growth rate are getting more and more ridiculous, fueled by people who leave crap comments that "it actually worked" for them... Lmao bye!!
    I simply click the not interested button if stuff like that shows up in hope to get these youtubers out my suggestions and get more of those that are actually interesting and innovative.
    I guess we have a few LHC favorites that everyone likes, for example Torrin Paige who shows alot of buns and updos, BeautyKLove testing diy products and curling methods or those who educating people on ethnic hairtypes that are different from the advertisement "ideal".
    I personally love to watch good coloring and heat styling tutorials although i don't need any of them ( i do use heat but there's inly so many new things i can do with a flatiron).

Length
    birth/CLASS/long
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I watch the one about red oil lol, she says if you use my oil you'll have thick hair like me lmao and poor girls fall for it all the time.

How can I control my life when I can't even control my hair!

Length
    Ear/Hip/Longr
    Type
    1a/F/ii/iii

For me, as a hairstylist, it all sounds even crazier. But what really makes my skin crawl is actually when there's footage of them violently brushing their wet hair with the worst kind of brush there is! It makes me shiver!

Type
    1c/F/M/ii

It bothers me when I see those "professional" hair styling videos where they make a bun that could easily be secured with just a hair stick or two, but then they keep it up by using a hundred bobby pins

Length
    27/47/???
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post
    It bothers me when I see those "professional" hair styling videos where they make a bun that could easily be secured with just a hair stick or two, but then they keep it up by using a hundred bobby pins
    And don't forget the teasing and hairspray!

Length
    SL/52.25/48
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by pailin View Post
    And don't forget the teasing and hairspray!
    I saw a youtube tutorial by tresemme (I think that was it) for a french twist and that guy teased part of her hair with a comb so much that it looked completely matted. I actually gasped when I saw that. Who would do that to their hair? I can't imagine the nightmare it is to try and get those tangles out.

Length
    27/47/???
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Decoy24601 View Post
    I saw a youtube tutorial by tresemme (I think that was it) for a french twist and that guy teased part of her hair with a comb so much that it looked completely matted. I actually gasped when I saw that. Who would do that to their hair? I can't imagine the nightmare it is to try and get those tangles out.
    I know, right? I've seen a lot of tutorials like that, and usually then I don't look at anything else on the channel.

Length
    SL/52.25/48
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by pailin View Post
    I know, right? I've seen a lot of tutorials like that, and usually then I don't look at anything else on the channel.
    The model had really gorgeous red hair too, and by the look of her freckles and complexion it was probably natural. I can't imagine scrunching my hair to that degree. I still cringe when twisting my hair for cinnamon buns.

What surprises me is that some people's hair can really take that kind of abuse without causing too much damage.

Length
    27/47/???
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

It is amazing how much abuse some people's hair can take. I see girls here who straighten, dye, and wear their hair down on motorbikes. And they use narrow toothed combs. And they still have hair!