Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oily scalp fine hair

Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Default Oily scalp fine hair

My hair is fine so it shows grease. Can't get past the bottom of my bra strap. I have to wash like every other day. Any suggestions to avoid washing so much?

Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Oily scalp find hair

Fine that is lol

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

I'd try various Scalp Only washing techniques (e.g. with a bun covered with a plastic wrap/shower cap or braid held by hand above head) in shower or over sink, to avoid overwashing hair but still wash scalp as frequently as needed. Also, I'd check out tools like PonyDry to maybe help with this: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...d.php?t=136047

Or you could try alternating full shampooings with WO-washes or CO-washes or CWC-washes in between... Also, consider the specific cleansers and other products you are using - maybe there is some room for improvement there that can allow you to stretch washes a bit more? Some people can stretch washes more easily when they go for milder cleansers, sometimes the ones that are SLS/SLES-free... while others prefer stronger detergents for stretching washes (usually specifically designed for "oily" or maybe "dandruff-prone" scalps, usually with SLS or ALS, and often with additional ingredients marketed for oily hair, e.g. clay or tea tree oil or lemon, etc or exfoliating ingredients like salicylic acid, for example).

It's trial and error really, it does take a bit of experimentation to find the routines and products that allow to stretch washes reasonably.

If stretching washes is difficult anyway, I wouldn't worry about it much - it should be fine, just be very careful when handling wet hair (hair is at its fragile state when wet), don't be rough with it, and it should be fine. Also, I'd check out pre-poo oiling with penetrating oils (coconut oil was shown to reduce damage from washing - http://journal.scconline.org/pdf/cc2...175-p00192.pdf) and condition hair thoroughly - all this should help, too. Good luck!

Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Wow that is helpful thank you! btw though I don't know what the abbreviations mean lol! I have been using Wen for years but I still can get past this length it breaks off. Just went back to Aveda the invanti line.

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Wendyp View Post
    Wow that is helpful thank you! btw though I don't know what the abbreviations mean lol! I have been using Wen for years but I still can get past this length it breaks off. Just went back to Aveda the invanti line.
    Oops, sorry about the abbreviations:
    WO: Water Only
    CO: Conditioner Only
    CWC: Conditioner - Wash (shampoo) - Conditioner
    SLS: sodium lauryl sulfate
    ALS: ammonium lauryl sulfate

If I understand correctly, washing with Wen is very similar to CO-washing (Wen formula is basically like a conditioner).
    If it doesn't provide a very good cleanse, I'd use something else, more cleansing, or just rotate this product with a more clarifying formula, if needed.

If your ends keep breaking off, there could be many possibilities:

- Was your hair chemically treated, heat-styled or did it sustain a lot of mechanical or other damage? If there is serious past damage that is causing breakage, I'd introduce regular oiling and invest in good quality hydrolyzed protein treatment (DIY gelatin masks are good, but so are many "reconstruct / protein filler" types of products).

- Try oil rinses (spreading a couple drops of oil on length/ends before conditioning or added to conditioner) and/or oils as leave-ins if your hair lacks elasticity.

- If your hair is very dry, check out the SMT (conditioner + honey + aloe) or a variation of it (e.g. with oil(s)).

- Most importantly, try to protect hair as much as possible and avoid any additional damage:
    • sleeping with hair contained on silk/satin pillowcases or using scarves/bonnets (any silky smooth material will do);
    • keeping hair in protective updos as much as possible;
    • detangling very carefully with seamless wide-tooth combs and/or fingers, avoiding unnecessary brushing;
    • avoiding different forms of excessive styling and manipulation;
    • wearing hats/scarves/buffs if it's windy or sunny outside;
    • etc, etc

Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I was just reading the fine hair forum wow so much info. I was trying to find the info on Smt is there a thread on that. I color my roots to cover grey unfortunately. Wen has been good but I can't get past my current length so I have to change what I'm doing. I appreciate all the info! I had no idea pillow cases even mattered ��

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Here's the SMT thread:
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...read.php?t=128

It would help us out if you shared your hair length, because scalp washes can normally only be done if you can at least put your hair up into some sort of updo or braid.

Wen is a conditioner-wash, and might not be the best suited towards an oily scalp. I'd try a sulfate-free shampoo or even a sulfate shampoo. I use a sulfate shampoo because I need to (SD). You might have to experiment a little. Plus, Wen is extortionate in price, I find.

My scalp is oily and I have stretched from about 2/3 washes a week to a weekly wash. It didn't happen overnight, though. And I have SD (seborrheic dermatitis), so I need to keep my scalp as clean as possible.

When your hair grows longer, it certainly helps if you want to forego a wash; don't know how that works exactly, but once I got past BSL, I could go to 2 washes a week and taper off to once a week soon after. Yeah, thereabouts, I think.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Thank you! I can't wait to try it! My hair is about to my bra strap at the longest. My hair grows in a weird v shape and I have been having. Hard time finding hair dressers who sing take off inches despite me telling them not to. I put a pic on my profile the ends kind of thin out, I haven't been doing Dt and now I'm thinking that's what's missing. Wen has you thinking it's all you need but I can see not. I have been reading on this site wow so much info! I want to try gelatin treatments too. What products do you use do you mind me asking? Is there a product recommend thread too? Thanks so much again!

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Wendyp View Post
    Thank you! I can't wait to try it! My hair is about to my bra strap at the longest. My hair grows in a weird v shape and I have been having. Hard time finding hair dressers who sing take off inches despite me telling them not to. I put a pic on my profile the ends kind of thin out, I haven't been doing Dt and now I'm thinking that's what's missing. Wen has you thinking it's all you need but I can see not. I have been reading on this site wow so much info! I want to try gelatin treatments too. What products do you use do you mind me asking? Is there a product recommend thread too? Thanks so much again!
    Take it slow. You're just new here, take your time to browse & read a little. Don't just up and go change your entire routine just because of the first thread you read. Try and read some more first. There are plenty of options: WO, SO, CO, CWC, WCC, etc. which may or may not all be suited towards fine oily hair.

People use various different products around here. Drugstore, high-end, it really doesn't matter much what you use, as long as it works, and finding what works can be a bit challenging, especially since you're new.

Don't just up and go experiment with whatever you come across. Try one thing and see how you like it, don't just go change a lot of things all at once because then you will no longer know what works and what doesn't. One thing at a time.

I remember what it was like when I first got here, I wanted to try it all - all at once. And that is definitely not the way to go.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    APL/WL/TBD
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Default Re: Oily scalp fine hair

I just started scalp-only washes in the bathroom sink when I need to freshen up in the morning. I basically pulled my hair into a ponytail with the last loop halfway through, and held it out of the way while I scrubbed my scalp. It's dried now, and I have that nice fresh clean feeling without overwashing the rest of my hair.

Your mind is a garden, your thoughts are the seeds. You can grow flowers, or you can grow weeds.
    Lady Scarlette, Traveler of the Road to Dawn in the Order of the Long Haired Knights