Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody else switching to henna only?

Length
    BSL/BCL/TBL
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii

Default Anybody else switching to henna only?

I used to dye my hair red with box dye, switched to henna but continued dying the roots with box dye so it stays bright. Now I'm just too lazy for this lol so I'll try switching to henna only. Here's my current hair, length had bleach/box dye, couple inches of henna only and couple inches of my natural color (medium brown?)

Here's a photo of my last attempt, I grew it for one year (it was about chin) then gave up and re-dyed the dark part with red box dye.

Anybody else in the same boat? I like the bright red hair -had it for the last 7 years- and it suits me well but I also like the dark auburn look and I'd like my hair to be healthier!
    1a/m/ii, going to classic!
    Ficcare Database - send me your photos by PM!

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Anybody else switching to henna only?

Find a routine and stick to it. Either do box dyes from now on, or henna.

Yes you *can* dye chemically over henna and the other way round, but switching back and forth constantly is just something that will bite you in the butt later. Yes, been through it. Yes, had to cut to chin because of it (hair totally ruined and FUBAR). The second time round (because I didn't learn from my mistake), there was even bleach involved in order to dye over the henna better with a lighter box color, result? Chemical cut & burn. And back to chin it went, for the second time. That's when I swore off all dyes forever, henna & box dye. Best thing I ever did.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    BSL/BCL/TBL
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii

I basically used the box dye as a lightener on the grown out roots only and did henna all over after to even out the color. Works pretty well for me but it's a pain.

Length
    buzz/FTL/FTL
    Type
    2b/C/ii

No input on the topic, just had to say I love the symmetrical/matchyness of your piercings!

Length
    NL/SL/MBL
    Type
    3c/4a/F/i/ii

Holy crap you're beautiful.
    NL | SL | CBL | APL | MBL | BSL

Type
    1a/F/ii

I have done many combinations of henna/bleach/dye, and am now henna only. My favorite was henna over bleach capped hair, but keeping up with bleached roots caused me to give up quickly. I also used to lighten with Feria's For Dark Hair Only, then brighten with Manic Panic. That was fun.

I did have one experience where the box dye came out waaaay darker than expected, presumably bc of the henna underneath. Henna over dye hasn't been a problem. Roots alone seem like they'd be a pain with henna - what I do is apply almost full-strength mix to the roots, add condish to the mix for mid shaft, then add more condish for the ends. I get full henna conditioning each time, have had no issues with over saturating, and it stretches my henna.

Length
    BSL/BCL/TBL
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii

Thank you Sumidha and Honey.

Chlorophylliac, do you still have a demarcation from transitionning? Or did you dye it all over to get the same color? I'm itching to just dye like half the length the match the top color to ease the pain of growing out.

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

OOh, those bangs look banging on you! I like the darker red on you, is it henna only? Then it will be ace!

Always behave like a duck -
    keep calm and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the devil underneath.

Length
    27/57/???
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

I like the darker red too! And I don't the two-tone transition looks bad at all.

Length
    ShL/30/TBL
    Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

The hennaed part is a really nice colour! I also like the transition into the two tone, I think it looks super cool! So I think you'll be fine slowly growing it out doing only henna on the roots rather than chopping to chin length or something to try and get rid of the old colour fast.
    I've only ever done henna (other than dip dying my ends with manic panic once) so I don't have experience making the transition from box dye to henna, just wanted to say thst the colour looks great and I think you'll really notice an improvement in your hair's health as you transition to henna only!
    << on the journey to grow back to this length and beyond