Thread: Hair dye

Length
    17"/28/68"

Default Hair dye

Hey all. Ive been enjoying dyed black hair as my hair is light brown. Its tailbone length and fine but dense. Im considering removing or allowing the black to grow out. Im not sure how conditioners and oils penetrate the scalp and length when dealing with dye. I accept any damage that comes from dyeing but im curious on what your experience is with dyeing hair long term then oil use.

Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Default Re: Hair dye

Just a note, Julescarm: if you use a color remover, like Color-Oops, it will take the dye out, but your hair will not be your original color if you've been using a box dye (or developer) to dye your hair--it WILL come out the color the developer has lightened your hair. Put another way, color removers do NOT "turn" one's hair orange or make it lighter--that's because of the developer in the box dye. I only mention this because you didn't mention if you've been using box dye, toner + developer, semi- or demi-permanent dye, indigo henna or whatever you using.

That being said, you shouldn't have any problem using oils or conditioners on your hair--depending on how dry/damaged your hair is will determine how "thirsty" your hair is for the benefits of the conditioner/oil. I know that, after I bleached mine (three box dyes and two bleach baths within two months), it was a bit "thirstier" for moisture, but not unduly so. My real problems came with the concoctions I used to remove semi-permanent dyes from my hair so I could move on to the next color. Let's just say baking soda is not my hair's friend and I should have used it more sparingly (less frequently), because it would dry my hair out something awful.
    Not Cut, But After Washing, Before Brushing and Bunning...Baby steps!

Length
    Buzz/Buzz/Calf+

Quote Originally Posted by Julescarm View Post
    Hey all. Ive been enjoying dyed black hair as my hair is light brown. Its tailbone length and fine but dense. Im considering removing or allowing the black to grow out. Im not sure how conditioners and oils penetrate the scalp and length when dealing with dye. I accept any damage that comes from dyeing but im curious on what your experience is with dyeing hair long term then oil use.
    https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...ad.php?t=51155
    Hi! You can join us here ^ and just let it grow out

Length
    ChinL/WL/TERM
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Julescarm, I agree with Jo Ann. I've had dyed black hair many times, and when I want to get rid of it I just let it grow out and fade or apply another dye color over it. Because, my natural hair color is medium brown to dark brown, and when I dye my hair black, and I haven't dyed it in a long while it fades into a nice brown. I can say that I've been dyeing my hair for 30 years now, and I haven't had to deal with any damage at all. That's because I use the right kind of hair dye for my hair type.

Length
    17"/28/68"

Thank you all for replying! Ive been using loreal blue/black permanent dye that's in the red and silver box.

Length
    ChinL/WL/TERM
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Oh yeah, my mom used to use that hair dye and shade when she was a lot younger in her mid 30's up until her 60s. All she uses now is clairol nice n easy natural black in the black and white box with the gold writing on it.