Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: The "slow hair growth club"

Length
    12/17.5/55
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: The "slow hair growth club"

Mines 1-2cm I Think? Not too sure myself must test that some how almost wish I didn't thow my bleach out could have done a tiny section so we could have seen but I know what I'm like I'd Color over it before the month is out

Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Bat View Post
    Mines 1-2cm I Think? Not too sure myself must test that some how almost wish I didn't thow my bleach out could have done a tiny section so we could have seen but I know what I'm like I'd Color over it before the month is out
    You could measure your hair the LHC way (from the front of hairline to the longest part in back, there are some picture tutorials if needed) and compare that after a month? I think that'd work on your length already!
    ears | shoulders | CBL | APL | SBL ~ (curly)
    ears | shoulders | CBL | APL | SBL+ ~ (stretched)
    Prounouns: they/them only, please!

Length
    12/17.5/55
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ynne View Post
    You could measure your hair the LHC way (from the front of hairline to the longest part in back, there are some picture tutorials if needed) and compare that after a month? I think that'd work on your length already!
    I usually do that but it has measured the same for months but I know it has grown

Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by elfynity View Post
    I'm also glad this has been revived. My hair grows normal to perhaps fast speed, BUT, because it is so fine the ends damage very quickly and so unless I trim them, my hair doesn't grow at all - so, in essence, I land up with slow growth.
    I've changed now to S&D only and no more trims, so hoping this will enable me to gain length quicker, while still staying healthy.

I posted this pic in the year comparison thread, but am posting here for reference! Hmm, how many inches is that in 2 years? Maybe 4? I know everyone here will appreciate these efforts!
    I feel you. My hair does the same thing.

However! While I can't see the picture you posted, looking at your signature there is a huge difference in the shape and fullness of your hem!

Length
    Buzz/22/45
    Type
    3a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by elfynity View Post
    I'm also glad this has been revived. My hair grows normal to perhaps fast speed, BUT, because it is so fine the ends damage very quickly and so unless I trim them, my hair doesn't grow at all - so, in essence, I land up with slow growth.
    I've changed now to S&D only and no more trims, so hoping this will enable me to gain length quicker, while still staying healthy.

I posted this pic in the year comparison thread, but am posting here for reference! Hmm, how many inches is that in 2 years? Maybe 4? I know everyone here will appreciate these efforts!

That surely is inspiring, and you can see clearly your thickness traveling down! I too have baby fine hair that has to be treated like old lace or it gets damaged like crazy. Not sure
    if this would count as slow growth though as you said it actually grows rather fast from the roots and I think that's what most people are here for. But I think anyone is welcome nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Fimu View Post
    What growth speed range is considered as slow?

I also wonder, who of you does live in a climate with cool summers? I wonder to what extent the climate plays a role in the hair growth speed since I understood in one of my threads that people have reported faster hair growth after a trip in a tropical country.
    I've read that anything between 0.5cm to 2cm is considered normal but most people consider anything below 1cm slow and above 1.5 fast. And this trichologist page says that normal is between 0.5 to 1.7cm.

As for the second question. I grew up and spent most of my life on a tropical island (well, subtropical but close enough) and my partner is from a tropical country too, now we are living in a much cooler country and neither of us have seen any difference in growth. I don't think a simple trip to a hotter environment is what makes people see faster growth, I'd even say that people tend to damage their hair more in those kind of trips (sun, seawater, chlorinated water...). If I had to guess I'd say it's probably be related to vitamin D deficiencies or stress.

Quote Originally Posted by Bat View Post
    I usually do that but it has measured the same for months but I know it has grown
    Maybe it's breakage? But from your pictures it doesn't seem like so. You were going to grow your natural hair, weren't you? You could measure your roots as they grow to have an estimate of how much it grows in a month. I think I also suggested somewhere else placing a piece of paper under your roots on your shaved side, marking the length of the hairs with a pencil and then measuring the length from the paper.
    Buzz~NL~SL~...~Classic?

Length
    MBL/HL+/Clssc
    Type
    3b/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by CuteCrow View Post
    I've read that anything between 0.5cm to 2cm is considered normal but most people consider anything below 1cm slow and above 1.5 fast. And this trichologist page says that normal is between 0.5 to 1.7cm.

As for the second question. I grew up and spent most of my life on a tropical island (well, subtropical but close enough) and my partner is from a tropical country too, now we are living in a much cooler country and neither of us have seen any difference in growth. I don't think a simple trip to a hotter environment is what makes people see faster growth, I'd even say that people tend to damage their hair more in those kind of trips (sun, seawater, chlorinated water...). If I had to guess I'd say it's probably be related to vitamin D deficiencies or stress.
    I agree with considering below 1 cm as slow and beyond 1.5 cm as fast.

Interesting point what you said about vitamin D, so I wouldn't be surprised if there will be a correlation proved between vitamin D levels and hair growth speed. I know genetics also play a role, but so does vitamin D level maintenance (for example, people with high melaninated skin tend to be more prone to vitamin D deficiency than a peer of same age and health with less melanin in their skin).

Length
    3.9/24/30
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Hi all! I believe I belong to this club as well. My hair grows on average 11mm in 5 weeks (so about 1cm a month). I measure every time I henna so the measure is fairly precise.
    I have noticed that my hair growth peaked maybe 2 times/months a year at 12mm and also dropped 2 times to 9mm, but I can't figure out why. Otherwise patience is all I can see as the most affective currently.

Length
    Buzz/22/45
    Type
    3a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Hexana View Post
    Hi all! I believe I belong to this club as well. My hair grows on average 11mm in 5 weeks (so about 1cm a month). I measure every time I henna so the measure is fairly precise.
    I have noticed that my hair growth peaked maybe 2 times/months a year at 12mm and also dropped 2 times to 9mm, but I can't figure out why. Otherwise patience is all I can see as the most affective currently.
    Welcome to the club! Oh, I can't measure my hair so precisely. I just get how much it grew between certain dates and divide it by the number of months, that gives me quite a steady 0.8cm a month.
    Also, it's completely normal to grow at different rates, there's so many things that affect hair growth that's it's hard to pinpoint the cause. I agree that patience is the key here
    Buzz~NL~SL~...~Classic?

Length
    12/17.5/55
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by CuteCrow View Post
    That surely is inspiring, and you can see clearly your thickness traveling down! I too have baby fine hair that has to be treated like old lace or it gets damaged like crazy. Not sure
    if this would count as slow growth though as you said it actually grows rather fast from the roots and I think that's what most people are here for. But I think anyone is welcome nonetheless.

Maybe it's breakage? But from your pictures it doesn't seem like so. You were going to grow your natural hair, weren't you? You could measure your roots as they grow to have an estimate of how much it grows in a month. I think I also suggested somewhere else placing a piece of paper under your roots on your shaved side, marking the length of the hairs with a pencil and then measuring the length from the paper.
    That isn't a bad idea. My hair is all black again so you can't see growth as easily, though the black isn't permanent it will wash out eventually

Length
    17/30/waist
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Hey everyone, I can't believe I didn't see this thread sooner. I belong in this club as well, my average growth is 1/4" per month. My sweet hubby has measured me for years and marks a tailor's measuring tape so I can see new growth. The most I have ever grown is 5/8" but that only happened once sadly (I made him measure 3x lol). I have gotten 1/2" a few times as well, all during summer months but again, not my norm. Being tall with a long torso and slow growing hair is tough. We need all the support we can get!

CBL/ APL/BSL/MBL​/Waist/???
    Last bleach and trim -- 01/23/2020
    No trim challenge second half of 2020