Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brushing and hairgrowth

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Brushing and hairgrowth

I haven't noticed any threads on this again yet so i thought i'd start one.

Has anybody found scalp brushing has improved their growth, or maybe reduced shedding and/or reversed hairloss?

I find when i do this daily and scalp massage my shedding dramatically reduces.

Here's a link to one womans story of reversing hair loss/thinning by brushing...

http://recedinghairline.blogspot.com/
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.

Length
    ?/26/30++
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

hm, I'd like to believe that (and am sure it works for her, and you...) but I notice that when I brush my hair, it gets so greasy so fast (gets slicked down flat), my waves turn into bumps, and I have to wash my hair more often. The more often I wash (or handle) my hair, the more I shed...a kind of vicious cycle.

My mom always said that brushing your hair 100 strokes a night, focusing on the scalp, is the best way to care for your hair, but she has short thin fine hair so I don't necessarily believe her...

Still, after all this winter's shedding, and my scary hair loss at my temples, I'd love to do SOMETHING...
    Feb 2013, solid BSL again but shedding. Wondering if this is really terminal length. Hairtype 1b/2b, F/M, ii

Length
    Pixie/APL/waist
    Type
    1c/F/M/i/ii

I'm a daily brusher, every evening, though no particular amount of strokes, just when i feel like stopping lol. I spread some carrot oil through my hair and use a BBB to spread it through, concentrating on my scalp.

I have recently definately had hair regrow in areas that were receeding, the hair is about an inch long now. Not sure if its from the brushing or not.
    Once you place a candle in the dark, you can't deny the light. . Once you give to man that candle, you give his mind the power of flight. - Myself.
    Lady Seyllea, Oracle of Time and Becoming in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    chin/waist/hip
    Type
    2c/3a/C/iii

I suppose it's possible that for some people that may work. But certainly not true for everyone. I shed MORE when I brush than when I stick to just combing or finger combing. I do like how good it feels on the scalp to brush occasionally though, so I do brush a couple times a week, usually before washing my hair.

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Katze View Post
    hm, I'd like to believe that (and am sure it works for her, and you...) but I notice that when I brush my hair, it gets so greasy so fast (gets slicked down flat), my waves turn into bumps, and I have to wash my hair more often. The more often I wash (or handle) my hair, the more I shed...a kind of vicious cycle.

My mom always said that brushing your hair 100 strokes a night, focusing on the scalp, is the best way to care for your hair, but she has short thin fine hair so I don't necessarily believe her...

Still, after all this winter's shedding, and my scary hair loss at my temples, I'd love to do SOMETHING...
    Would this thread be an idea for you then??

http://www.forums.longhaircommunity....read.php?t=423

I can VERY MUCH relate to the thinning issue (hence this obsession lol) i've lost so much from being ill.

Kirin, that at least sounds promising, i'm glad that something you are doing is helping, whether it's brushing or something else.

Feisty Redhead......i've heard a few people say that happens too. With me i loose loads of hair the first couple of days, then the shedding slows right down by about a week or 2 after starting. I think sometimes the brushing removes hairs that are in that "sitting here, not growing anymore......just waiting to fall out" stage which can make it seem like brushing makes you shed more. I'm not saying you SHOULD brush of course, just presenting it as an idea.
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.

If the brushing increases blood flow to the scalp then it would probably have an effect on hair growth

Length
    20/Hip/TB
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I read that blog about reversing a recending hairline as well when LHC was down and it definitely intrigued me. I'm like Katze though, so I only brush right before I wash (every other day) so that I'm not a greaseball. We'll see if it actually works!

January 2016

Length
    APL/Hip/class
    Type
    1a/M/C/ii/iii

I've noticed that I get a lot more breakage when I use a brush (BBB only, of course). I have to be really gental. But I get oil build up on my scalp in between washings if I don't. It's a catch-22. Darned if you do and darned if you don't.

SIGH..... : What's a long haired to do???

Length
    16"/33/????
    Type
    2c/F/i/ii

This definately reduces shedding for me. I put my hair in a ponytail and brush the scalp only. I stopped doing this when LHC was down and had tons more shedding.
    ​Babyfine and superrrrr thin. Growing long anyway!
    Lady Kan-Yu, Lawspeaker of Heaven and Earth in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I recently cut around 2 inches off my hair because of splits/damage. One of the things I am going to give up in hopes of keeping the splits at bay is brushing. I love it, but the longer my hair has grown, the more likely I am to hit snarls just when I think I've got the "all clear." I'll get my scalp stimulation from my wooden comb from now on or scalp massages. I sure hope it helps because I can't think of anything else I can change.