Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Prevent breakage while wearing down?

Length
    Chin/<TBL/<TBL
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Default Re: Prevent breakage while wearing down?

Quote Originally Posted by Ellethwyn View Post
    I do it all the time. My husband comes home from work and pulls my hair out from my shirt and says, "There! Now I can see your beautiful hair."
    Awww that's sweet of him
    Lady with Long Hair
    [^video link]
    ~ Enjoy every stage of your hair journey ~

Counter-current swimmer school of fish's Avatar
    Length
    HL/TBL+/CL?
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

In answer to your question a few posts back Ailurophile, I've worn my hair down throughout Over the course of my life so far I've grown and chopped back and forth from blunt hip+ length to a chin-length bob about 3 times or so, and have never had anything shorter than around waist for the last decade. Worn down that entire time

I should mention - I do wear it up at night! I started that a couple years ago and found that I can avoid most sleep tangling if I bun it on top of my head. Ensuring a smoother morning combout has undoubtedly helped me avoid a lot of accrued damage
    ▪daily washing▪sulfate shampoo down to the ends▪coney conditioner up to the scalp▪combing from the top down▪hair worn down and loose▪

Length
    15/52/54+?
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Ellethwyn View Post
    If I'm being lazy and don't want to put my hair up, but don't want it to get damaged, I tuck my hair into my shirt while cleaning, cooking, gardening...
    For me it only works to a certain extent. I do it fairly often for quick things, like washing dishes. But I had to stop putting my hair in my coat on rainy days because I'd end up with tangles around the neck area (and it restricted my neck movements if I wanted the hair to stay in place).

Length
    27.5/28/43
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by school of fish View Post
    In answer to your question a few posts back Ailurophile, I've worn my hair down throughout Over the course of my life so far I've grown and chopped back and forth from blunt hip+ length to a chin-length bob about 3 times or so, and have never had anything shorter than around waist for the last decade. Worn down that entire time

I should mention - I do wear it up at night! I started that a couple years ago and found that I can avoid most sleep tangling if I bun it on top of my head. Ensuring a smoother morning combout has undoubtedly helped me avoid a lot of accrued damage
    I bun my hair at the top of my head and found that I was getting breakage at the back of my head and had few inches long pieces which have broken from the high bun! The silk sleeping cap I purchased has just arrived in the post today so hopefully I can avoid the breaking and still keep the ends nice and safe!

Counter-current swimmer school of fish's Avatar
    Length
    HL/TBL+/CL?
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
    I bun my hair at the top of my head and found that I was getting breakage at the back of my head and had few inches long pieces which have broken from the high bun! The silk sleeping cap I purchased has just arrived in the post today so hopefully I can avoid the breaking and still keep the ends nice and safe!
    Oh goodness, yes by all means if a high bun is causing breakage then an alternate method is the way to go for sure! I hope the silk cap is the answer for you

We're all so unique in what works and what doesn't - there really is more than one right way! It's all about finding what's right for *you*
    ▪daily washing▪sulfate shampoo down to the ends▪coney conditioner up to the scalp▪combing from the top down▪hair worn down and loose▪

Length
    0.1/SHL/MB
    Type
    1c/F/ii

school of fish Yes I wear mine 90% loose and its also a second nature thing now! Contant moving my hair and be aware of elements around me. Sometimes I even flip or lif it up for belts and bag straps and people around are stunnished! Its a funny reaction sometimes

Lavendersugar
    Yes I've never really care about my hair up. And I also feel it is way more damaging because I need product or twisting.braiding tightly. It only goes up when Im feeling sad or I'm doing super intense stuff!

As I've metion I wear my hair down and breakage is not a real issue for me. I detangle a lot a lot during the day and I always deep condition my hair with olive oil the night befreo washing and that seems to do job of not getting tangles. Winds for example, the only problem I have is probably that it get in my eyes, but my hair won't tangle or be matted even if its super hard.

Another thing that helps If you are keeping a certain lenght or you micro trim a lot (my case) it helps a lot with breakage, split ends and tangles!

... so yeah this way I'm able to rock the down hair look all the time and feeling pretty happy about it!!!

Im a natural 1B-C head and growing out from so!

<a href=https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=69220&dateline=1544502239 target=_blank>https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...ine=1544502239</a>

Length
    None/HL/FL
    Type
    3c/C/iii

Heavy seal the ends and be cognizant of keeping the length of your hair from getting caught in anything.

Grow, grow, here we grow! Sarahlabyrinth's Avatar
    Length
    12"/Calf/Ankle
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahlabyrinth View Post
    You will have to keep moving it out of the way all the time, if you sit down , bring it forward over your shoulders so you aren't leaning on it, move it aside out of the way of purse straps, car seat belts etc.etc. you get the idea. For me, doing all that annoys me more than just keeping it up....
    You could also wear a silk or satin shirt to minimise friction on your clothing.
    JESUS MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Current length​ Calf

Length
    chin/SL/term
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Stepo_NiNha View Post
    Good thread.

I would like to wear my hair down more often, specially on weekends, but I'm afraid I can have more breakage; so I will be around to read some tips if you guys have some that have been working for you.

Its comfortable to wear my hair up but I only enjoy it when I'm working
    SAME! Will follow
    Hans and me playing my song "Through Hell".
    https://youtu.be/-Jmn5kWNMxM

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
    I know hair breakage is inevitable, and wearing your hair up protects it from breaking. But, is there any way to protect it while having it down? E.g from bag/backpack straps, seat belts, coats, the wind, whatever else attacks my hair. My hair gets dirty quicker when it's up, and I frankly just enjoy having it down, but I still want to protect it!!!

Any tips?
    There is just no way to keep it from the damage of a backpack, purse straps, etc.

I would keep it plenty moisturized, and I think that's about all you can do.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)