Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Hair and earrings

Length
    BSL/WL+/Clas
    Type
    2b/M/iii

Default Re: Hair and earrings

Quote Originally Posted by Wusel View Post
    Another of my questions is... How big is the risk that it gets inflamed and leaves scars or so? I mean, I'm 41 so I think it's different than when you are a kid...
    Is it better to do it at the doctor? Or a jewelry? Or a professional piercing studio (which I really don't like here in Bremen... Kinda scary atmosphere and a strange looking guy who does it...)
    I don't want to end up with a damaged ear and scars and red lobes or so...
    I got mine done at a jewelry place (my mom says. I don't remember a thing, I was too small). Unfortunately I have zero experience with piercings at older ages, my earlobe piercing is the only one I have ..

Length
    CBL/WL/HIP
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I don't do either, lol.
    CBL 2015 - BCL 2019

⋆Hangin out⋆

Length
    Pixie/WL/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I know it's scary, but I would actually recommend the professional piercing studio. You will most likely wind up with less inflammation and quicker healing due to the method used.

The difference between a jewelry place and a piercing studio is this:

A jewelry place will most likely use a "piercing gun" that forces the earring straight through your earlobe. The earring will probably be somewhat sharpened to facilitate this.

The piercing studio will most likely use an 18 or 20 guage hollow needle to pierce your earlobe, which takes a small amount of tissue out, then insert the earring. It's actually less trauma.

Imagine cutting with a butter knife versus a scalpel.. Same principle. Scalpel will do less tissue damage and be easier.
    Pixie-Bob-Shoulder-CBL-APL-BSL-WL-HL-BCL-TBL 2019!

Lady Hester, Healer of the Platte and Plains in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

I have had my ears pierced for 50+ years

Over the years my interest fell away; most days I would just wear a simple ring.

Then when I started growing my silver hair out from chin, learned updos, and bought hair toys.... I regained my interest.

I knew at my age I had to 'rock it' so I began buying etsy earrings that matched/coordinated with my etsy hair toys.
    Dangling/unique earrings has become MY SIGNATURE LOOK

I love my collections; it is such a joy to style my hair and bling it up each day!

I'd encourage you to get them pierced; you can wear anything that appeals to you....don't listen to your mother lol
    Last edited by Groovy Granny; April 10th, 2016 at 01:38 PM.

Length
    waist/clsc/???
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Is it better to do it at the doctor? Or a jewelry? Or a professional piercing studio (which I really don't like here in Bremen... Kinda scary atmosphere and a strange looking guy who does it...)
    That "strange looking guy" has put holes in things that are a lot more sensitive than your earlobes, and he knows what he's doing better than that normal-looking person at the jewelry store. And that "scary atmosphere" is more comfortable to us strange-looking people than bright and cheerful-looking places. That said, if once you look past the surface trappings you still get a creepy vibe, or they treat you badly because you're a normal-looking person who just wants her earlobes done, or they don't practice proper hygiene and safety, find another place.
    Lady Ilium, Spellweaver and Technomancer in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    1c/2a,M,ii. Maintaining at classic for now.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I pretty much always wear earrings and feel half-dressed with naked holes.

However, I should mention that I have stretched lobes, and so the holes in them are noticeably larger than normal; at 8mm they aren't gaping, but you might see daylight through them. I pretty exclusively wear plugs -- dangling styles are just not for me, even if they're pretty on other people.

ETA: in case you're wondering, this is a typical earring for me. This one is hematite.
    http://i.imgur.com/c4w54tW.jpg I was pierced at a normal size (18g / 1mm) and very slowly and gently stretched to this, 8 mm in the narrow part.
    Last edited by Anje; April 10th, 2016 at 09:26 PM.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

I wear earrings all the time even sleep in them(studded kind) one thing i learnt with earrings and long hair is a single strand can wrap tightly around the earring without being noticed until it hurts your piercing...and boy does it hurt!

had my ears pierced 24 years ago now

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I love these...
    http://s3.favim.com/orig/42/1954-50s...com-351755.jpg

But I'm not Audrey Hepburn unfortunately...

Lapushka... These look a bit gypsy, don't you think?
    Yes, but *she* looks gorgeous with them. I wouldn't.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I got mine (4 holes, 2 in each ear) all done at jewellery places. With a piercing gun (those were the 80s & 90s, gals). I don't regret it one bit. They came with medical grade material ear studs, so... They all healed up nicely and didn't get infected.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    chin/Waist/term
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Groovy Granny View Post
    I have had my ears pierced for 50+ years

Over the years my interest fell away; most days I would just wear a simple ring.

Then when I started growing my silver hair out from chin, learned updos, and bought hair toys.... I regained my interest.

I knew at my age I had to 'rock it' so I began buying etsy earrings that matched/coordinated with my etsy hair toys.
    Dangling/unique earrings has become MY SIGNATURE LOOK

I love my collections; it is such a joy to style my hair and bling it up each day!

I'd encourage you to get them pierced; you can wear anything that appeals to you....don't listen to your mother lol
    Thank you for the encouragement. Reading the answers and watching the poll I'm more and more convinced to do it. I always wanted it and I LOVE seeing pretty, unique earrings on other women and I always think, WHY don't I have them... and now, having long hair and wearing it up always there's like... something missing... I don't wear jewelry, I don't wear necklaces, no rings, really NOTHING. I don't even wear a watch. And I don't wear lipstick or eyeshadow, no eyeliner... I've bought my first hairtoys some weeks ago. I wear only mascara sometimes and powder or BB cream and blush... So... when I go out in the evening I feel half-dressed around the face compared to other women... It'll be a very exciting and completely new experience for me to wear earrings. Like a little child that learns how to stand on its feet.
    Last edited by Wusel; April 10th, 2016 at 02:46 PM.
    FINALLY THICK WL HAIR AFTER HAIR LOSS TRAGEDY!!! See here! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUx624JRX84&t=2095s