Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: DIY Leave-in (Deep) Conditioner Recipes

  1. #1
    Member Daydreamer.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    ♡Above the clouds ♡
    Posts
    391
    Length
    SL/CBL/???
    Type
    3c/F/M/i

    Lightbulb DIY Leave-in (Deep) Conditioner Recipes

    I know a lot of people mix water and a regular rinse out conditioner to make a leave-in conditioner. I was wondering if you could mix water and a deep conditioner to make a leave-in conditioner? Would it be more moisturizing and/or nourishing? Has anyone tried this? Also, to make this thread a little more interesting, please include your own DIY leave-in recipes.
    SL CBL APL BSL MBL WL

  2. #2
    LHC FairyGodMum lapushka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    56,796
    Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

    Default Re: DIY Leave-in (Deep) Conditioner Recipes

    I have heard that the HE Hello Hydration (from 2 people now) is a good leave-in. You don't even need to water it down apparently.

    I don't get the watering down thing. I'd just use the conditioner; if it's a light one it certainly won't hurt.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

  3. #3
    Member reilly0167's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,194

    Default Re: DIY Leave-in (Deep) Conditioner Recipes

    Some of my friends, who are curly girls, water down the conditioner to make a leave in, to put in their mister bottle to freshen curls between washes.

  4. #4
    Member Eastbound&Down's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,982
    Length
    Pixie/BSL/TBL
    Type
    2c/F/M/iii

    Default Re: DIY Leave-in (Deep) Conditioner Recipes

    I use coconut oil as a leave in, currently doing a multiday experiment. But I've heard Suave and HE make good leave ins. Suave in pretty thin, you probably wouldn't have to water that one down, not sure about HE. Either way, I see you are 3c, it probably wouldn't hurt to add some to your damp hair and let it dry. Is your hair a fan of oils? I find that oils (coconut, JBCO, sweet almond) promote my waves much better than just conditioners.
    Pixie~CL~SL~APL~BSL~WL~HL~TBL
    No Trim Challenge '18 Monthly Length Photo challenge '18
    Goals: BSL by 31 Dec 2018 (made it!), Hip by 3 Jan 2020, WL braid


  5. #5
    Member Silverbleed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Netherlands
    Age
    30
    Posts
    780
    Length
    4.7/22/26
    Type
    2c/F/ii

    Default Re: DIY Leave-in (Deep) Conditioner Recipes

    Quote Originally Posted by reilly0167 View Post
    Some of my friends, who are curly girls, water down the conditioner to make a leave in, to put in their mister bottle to freshen curls between washes.
    I do this too. Sometimes I add in a few drops of oil. My hair loves it.

  6. #6
    Member Pat Wright's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Age
    57
    Posts
    181
    Length
    12/12/30
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i/ii

    Default Re: DIY Leave-in (Deep) Conditioner Recipes

    Quote Originally Posted by reilly0167 View Post
    Some of my friends, who are curly girls, water down the conditioner to make a leave in, to put in their mister bottle to freshen curls between washes.
    Yep I do this.

  7. #7
    Mother of Crocodiles YvetteVarie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    south of the equator
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,076
    Length
    TWA/BSB/max
    Type
    4a/4b/M/C/ii/iii

    Default Re: DIY Leave-in (Deep) Conditioner Recipes

    I make my own leave in by mixing Tresemme Naturals conditioner with water, glycerin and coconut oil. My hair stays moisturised for days.

    I think for a deep conditionrt it depends. As long as its a moisture rich one, I don't think it will be different from a rinse out one. The ones to be cautious of are the protein ones

    PS: I once used a light protein deep conditioner (ORS Replenishing Conditioner) as part of my homemade leave in and it was the same as a moisture deep conditioner. But I am relaxed so maybe that's why I didn't have protein overload
    NL ~> APL ~> BSL ~> MBL ~> WL ~>HL ~> TBL (loc'ed goals)

    Loc'ed since 9 September 2020.

  8. #8
    Member Daydreamer.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    ♡Above the clouds ♡
    Posts
    391
    Length
    SL/CBL/???
    Type
    3c/F/M/i

    Default Re: DIY Leave-in (Deep) Conditioner Recipes

    Quote Originally Posted by Eastbound&Down View Post
    I use coconut oil as a leave in, currently doing a multiday experiment. But I've heard Suave and HE make good leave ins. Suave in pretty thin, you probably wouldn't have to water that one down, not sure about HE. Either way, I see you are 3c, it probably wouldn't hurt to add some to your damp hair and let it dry. Is your hair a fan of oils? I find that oils (coconut, JBCO, sweet almond) promote my waves much better than just conditioners.
    Yeah, my hair likes oils. I'm currently using coconut oil and argan oil. I'm considering leave-ins because the weather has been cold and dry lately. My hair feels like it needs more moisture.
    SL CBL APL BSL MBL WL

  9. #9
    Member Daydreamer.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    ♡Above the clouds ♡
    Posts
    391
    Length
    SL/CBL/???
    Type
    3c/F/M/i

    Default Re: DIY Leave-in (Deep) Conditioner Recipes

    Quote Originally Posted by YvetteVarie View Post
    I make my own leave in by mixing Tresemme Naturals conditioner with water, glycerin and coconut oil. My hair stays moisturised for days. I think for a deep conditionrt it depends. As long as its a moisture rich one, I don't think it will be different from a rinse out one. The ones to be cautious of are the protein ones PS: I once used a light protein deep conditioner (ORS Replenishing Conditioner) as part of my homemade leave in and it was the same as a moisture deep conditioner. But I am relaxed so maybe that's why I didn't have protein overload
    Your recipe sounds good. How much conditioner, water, glycerin, and coconut oil do you use for it?
    SL CBL APL BSL MBL WL

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    121
    Length
    31.9/37/55
    Type
    3b/M/C/ii

    Default Re: DIY Leave-in (Deep) Conditioner Recipes

    Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer. View Post
    Your recipe sounds good. How much conditioner, water, glycerin, and coconut oil do you use for it?
    I was wondering the same

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •