Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: to egg mask or not to egg mask

Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Default to egg mask or not to egg mask

hi everyone!

a few years ago i did an egg mask once a week for around one or two months. At first my hair looked AMAZING, it was shiny and grew fast.
    However i over did it with the protein and my ends ended up fried and I had to cut my hair short.

I now currently use macadamia hair mask and coconut oil/olive oil.

However I feel my hair is lacking shine and body and I feel if i did the egg mask perhaps the moisture/protein balance would be good and overall benefit my hair? but i don't want to risk my hair being brittle again and having to chop off all my hard work!

so shall I try egg masks again?????

Length
    WL/TBL/FTL?
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Default Re: to egg mask or not to egg mask

If you say that you got a protein overload by using it every week for 2 months, why don't you try it again but waiting more between applications. Maybe use it just once a month or so for a shine boost?

I'd try doing it only once a month or so like parkmikii suggested and keep checking the ends to see how they behave. If they start acting strange stop using it at least for a few months and clarify hair to reset it and continue with the usual routine that works for you before going back to the egg mask.

I will eat all your tofu maborosi's Avatar
    Length
    16"/27"/50+
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii/iii

Hm, out of curiosity, did you do a strong moisture treatment afterwards to kind of balance out the protein?

My hair needs protein to stay strong, but if I don't balance out with a good, deep moisture treatment, my hair gets dry, tangly, and wild.

Length
    Tbl/Bsl/Bsl
    Type
    1b/1c/M/C/iii

Well...maybe your hair doesn't need the egg

Length
    SL/CBL/???
    Type
    3c/F/M/i

I think it'll be alright if you haven't used protein in awhile. Just make sure to not use it too often and to alternate with moisturizing masks.
    SL CBL APL BSL MBL WL

Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by maborosi View Post
    Hm, out of curiosity, did you do a strong moisture treatment afterwards to kind of balance out the protein?

My hair needs protein to stay strong, but if I don't balance out with a good, deep moisture treatment, my hair gets dry, tangly, and wild.
    this is my plan for my regimen:

1.every thursday night leave olive oil/coconut oil in hair overnight (wash out next morning)

2. every second week on a tuesday i will do either an egg mask or apple cider vinegar rinse

1 is the moisturiser and 2 is the protein

*also 1. I repeat every week!

and in between washes i'll do daily oiling with either argan oil or coconut oil (just on ends of hair)

I hope that made sense! :P

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

If your hair is fine without it, then why mess with something that works just fine? That's my question. Maybe your hair doesn't like protein. Why would you want to try this again, when the outcome was so bad last time?
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    If your hair is fine without it, then why mess with something that works just fine? That's my question. Maybe your hair doesn't like protein. Why would you want to try this again, when the outcome was so bad last time?
    My hair isn't fine without it. It's been quite limp and i've had a lot of shedding and I remember when I first tried out the egg mask a few years ago how shiny and strong it made my hair. So I think that I just overdid it last time and i'm going to try and do it just once a month and see how my hair reacts.

I will eat all your tofu maborosi's Avatar
    Length
    16"/27"/50+
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by grecianmermaid View Post
    this is my plan for my regimen:

1.every thursday night leave olive oil/coconut oil in hair overnight (wash out next morning)

2. every second week on a tuesday i will do either an egg mask or apple cider vinegar rinse

1 is the moisturiser and 2 is the protein

*also 1. I repeat every week!

and in between washes i'll do daily oiling with either argan oil or coconut oil (just on ends of hair)

I hope that made sense! :P
    That makes sense, thanks!

Have you ever tried to do the coconut oil after washing out your egg mask? I have found that that is the best way for protein treatments to work for me. If I wait too long, my hair gets dry, staticky, and it tangles really badly on the ends.
    What my routine usually looks like is this:

1. CO-wash (or shampoo hair), just get the hair clean.
    2. Apply my protein treatment of choice (I have a light one that I use weekly, and a much stronger one that I use only once or twice a month, as needed)
    3. Let it sit for about 30 minutes, then rinse it out. I do not condition yet.
    4. Towel dry my hair, then apply SMT (Here's a thread on it). I personally let my moisture treatment sit overnight. Some people say it's not necessary, but I just do it because it's kind of a pain to wash it out quickly.
    5. Rinse, apply oils and leave ins, and enjoy my hair!

This has been the best method for me to avoid dryness, and it leaves my hair in amazing shape.
    Of course, I also do everyday oilings and leave ins, too. My hair does need protein, even though the treatments dry it out. (Strong protein treatments tend to do this to my hair.)
    I bleached it last year and have been doing this rotation as often as I feel necessary so my hair can avoid any unnecessary dryness or damage.

I hope that helps you!