Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2-nitro-p-phenylenediamine (ppd?) in Manic Panic?

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Default Re: 2-nitro-p-phenylenediamine (ppd?) in Manic Panic?

Quote Originally Posted by Alacris~ View Post
    Manic Panic's response:

"
    Hi *****!

Thank you for contacting Manic Panic!
    Could you possibly send us a photo of the jar to reference your findings? As this information is not accurate we would like to see where you found this information from?

Thanks so much,
    "

So I guess it really shouldn't be in there...
    Huh. I wonder if you got a counterfeit jar of it somehow?
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Anje View Post
    Yeah, it is really weird. I bought it at a reputable company which buys directly from manic panic. At least that is what they say.

I guess I am happy I always check ingredient lists!
    ~ ~

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Anje View Post
    That's exactly my thinking. Either that or an old formulation that they didn't pull from the market, maybe? But then, the Customer Service should be aware of that...
    That's why I suggested sending full listing. There should be a code on the box that you could send them and MP should be able to trace the *exact* box - maybe they'll refund you or replace the product?
    Also, what's the return policy in the company where you bought your MP from?

Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I got another reply.

So I guess the thing that wasn't true is that there would be ppd in it.
    However the ingredient I stated is a colourant so it does belong there but they state it isn't PPD.

"2-nitro-p-Phenylenediamine is actually a colorant and not in any way a form of a PPD, I attached the EU base ingredients list for you to reference. Yes, Attitude does buy from us direct and it is still completely fine and safe to use. [...] To clarify the head EU chemist advised that the full chemical name is N,N’Bis (2-Hydroxyethyl)-2-Nitro-p-Phenylenediamine which is a colorant, not a PPD. [...] None of our hair colors have PPDs in them.
    For example this ingredient is comparable to Basic Blue 54, which is one of the dyes used in our USA formula of Ultra Violet and Lie Locks.
    Hope this information may settle any uncertainties."

I am still confused as all of the information does not really add up (especially the information you (Meteor) found and what they state).:P

I guess it does not truly settle my confusions and thus concerns.

(For reference, my hair is yellow/orange. It was dyed red when I found out I was allergic. I switched to Elumen's red to be safe. However the red did not stick to my roots at all. For this reason I have been trying to get it back to blonde to be able to grow out my own colour less obviously, but I cannot get the yellow/orange out of my hair and don't want to keep on bleaching. So I wanted to tone my hair using manic panic).

@ Meteor: I am debating if it is perhaps safe enough to use or if I should send it back. The return policy is pretty good, although I won't get the shipping costs back. After your information I am still a bit hesitant. Irritation is fine only the big implications scare me.
    Last edited by Alacris~; February 2nd, 2016 at 10:19 AM.
    ~ ~

just here for the cheese
    Length
    BSL/HL/???
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Well patch test if anything!
    With one religion, we cannot listen. With one color, we cannot see.
    With one culture, we cannot feel. Without you we can't even remember.

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

^ Well, that's pretty reassuring. And I think if they could confirm to you that there are customers *with* PPD allergy who use this formula without any issues, that would really settle all fears about cross sensitivity.

But if you still have any doubts, the problem is there aren't many studies on N,N-bis(2-hydroxyethyl)-PPD and PPD to understand cross sensitivity to both, and because they are related, it's a valid question that's raised in studies... If you want to explore this issue further, this document includes an overview of studies that have been done on both, and many of them are either inconclusive or even designed in a way that wouldn't answer all questions, unfortunately:
    http://ec.europa.eu/health/ph_risk/c...sccp_o_065.pdf
    (Those studies do show that 2NPPD is irritating though.)
    Also, here is European Commission's Scientific Committee on Consumer Safety opinion on N,N’Bis (2-Hydroxyethyl)-2-Nitro-p-Phenylenediamine, with studies - again, inconclusive in many cases...
    http://ec.europa.eu/health/scientifi...sccs_o_096.pdf
    The SCCS is of the opinion that a conclusion on the gene mutation potential of N,N’-bis-(2-hydroxyethyl)-2-nitro-p-phenylenediamine cannot be drawn without further testing.
    On the basis of the submitted data, the SCCS considers N,N’-bis(2-hydroxyethylamino)-2-nitro-pphenylenediamine not safe for use as an oxidative hair dye with a concentration on head of maximum 1.0% and as a non-oxidative hair dye with a concentration up to 1.5%.
    I found specific studies can be costly to access though.

I don't know... Maybe we'll hear from chemists and also from people with PPD allergies. That would really help!

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I would write back stating that you have a PPD allergy but that you believe what they say and that they have now just assured you you'll be fine, and that if irritation *does* occur, they will *for sure* be hearing from you again. I'd be surprised what they'll have to say to that.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I really appreciate all of the advice!! And they should do some more research..would be nice

And yeah that is a good idea! To see if they are really sure about the statement!
    ~ ~