Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To bang or not to bang?

Length
    20/22/36
    Type
    3a/M/iii

Default To bang or not to bang?

Lol, ok, I'm so sorry I've been away from LHC so long - life's been a tornado of stuff, and meanwhile, I'm about an inch from BSL. Wow, how'd that even happen?
    So anyways, my stupid "bangs" won't get past chin. Nope, terminal length. This is weird. I see no splits, I baby them, I wear them parted all the way to the side (from right temple all the way over, man!) and no matter what position I have them in, they're at chin length. I used to have short bangs, which were a little overfeminine for my style, but when growing out they were pretty cool, should I just cut medium bangs again and start over with them? I see a lot of people with bangs and they're growing on me (well, mine aren't, LOL!).

If it helps, I have a round/square face with a small chin, a long, skinny nose, and a broader-than-average forehead. Should I do the wispy bang thing? Blunt cuts are out of the question.

These things have been stuck at chin since shoulder length, by the way.

Default Re: To bang or not to bang?

Silly question, but how do you know they're not growing? They seem to grow very fast when they're short and get in your eyes, but when they get longer they start taking forever to grow like the rest of your hair. I'd wait at least 3 months before checking the length again to see if they grow or not. If you've been at chin for at least 3 months then I guess it could be called terminal, but that seems weird to me, that a whole section of hair would have much shorter terminal than the rest of the hair.

Type
    2a/F/i

Pin them back every day for a few months. When you do check them I guarantee they'll be longer! Bangs seem to grow at a snails pace, but I think it's because they're right up front so you're just very aware of them.

BSL: Made it!Off to Waist!

Length
    20/22/36
    Type
    3a/M/iii

The rest of my hair is getting longer but they physically aren't, even by measurement, it's pretty obvious and yeah, weird... I'll just pin them back like Nadine suggested - they annoy the pooey outta me!

Growing back to TBL! &:D LongCurlyTress's Avatar
    Type
    3b/F/iii

I am really glad you posted this thread since today, I was fooling around and sectioning off my past collarbone length bangs and thinking gee..maybe? They have grown 10 inches since I trimmed them a couple of years ago. Pros... fun, glam look with leaving length, a cheap fast easier than botox to cover lines in forhead, fun new styles, several with long gorgeous hair have them, I sometimes like how I look with them if it isnt raining.

Cons... A pita! never stay straight, have to straighten them everyday, move sideways weirdly, dont stay in bun without alot of pins, mine curl weirdly.. if brushed back into the longer hair for a bun and fall out... they only look good for a second after I style them, but wind, open car windows and wind, sweat in hot summers, did I say wind??? lol...

thanks for letting me think this through outloud on your thread. Maybe you have similar thots? I would like to hear your thinking pros and cons also... since I am bored and thinking about a small, maybe less than one inch back into my hairline and only center of eye to center of eye { llll } Not the full face framing bangs... thots? does this help you? hope so!!

July, 2016 @ 37inches TBL

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I'm anti-bang. Only part of this is because they look stupid on me.
    • My forehead gets hideously dry because if I moisturize it, my bangs look greasy.
    • They don't look right with a lot of styles.
    • They touch my face!
    • They get caught in the hinges of my glasses.
    • They sit on top of my glasses with this funny little flumph thing happening.
    • They make faces look short and fat. My face is short and fat enough already.

So yeah, bangs suck! Pin them back and ignore them. Eventually, I'm sure they'll grow and they'll actually stay in styles. It took mine (stupid decision; after 20 years without I listened to my hubby who thought they'd look "cute" on me) to something like collarbone length before they'd just stay in a braid.
    Last edited by Anje; January 29th, 2016 at 10:43 AM.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Growing back to TBL! &:D LongCurlyTress's Avatar
    Type
    3b/F/iii

I agree with everything you said Anje!! Thanks for the reminder.. Mine are now past collarbone but it was a close call this morning!! Boredom makes me do dumb things to my hair!!

July, 2016 @ 37inches TBL

Type
    2a/M/i/ii

I hate hair in my face! So I'm a bit biased against bangs, like Anje.

Hairplease, your hair is so pretty. <3 I hope mine goes that color eventually.

Length
    Shldr/Hip/Happy
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by LongCurlyTress View Post
    Cons... A pita! never stay straight, have to straighten them everyday, move sideways weirdly, dont stay in bun without alot of pins, mine curl weirdly.. if brushed back into the longer hair for a bun and fall out... they only look good for a second after I style them, but wind, open car windows and wind, sweat in hot summers, did I say wind??? lol...
    Thanks for reminding me of all of this. Every single year I get these "hmm... maybe I should get a fringe"- ideas and this is exactly what I need to read every now and then to remember why its absolutely NOT a good idea.

Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii

I am in the same boat.

I hate both on me. I just recently tried some fringe type and regret chopping my lip length bang :,(