Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you deal with slow growth?

Length
    SL/APL/WL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Default How do you deal with slow growth?

So i had a wee search for this, but nothing came up that looked too helpful! Sorry if this topics been well covered and I missed it!

I joined this forum a few years ago. Soaked up all the knowledge I could then started babying my hair, wearing it in protected buns and braids. Abolished heat, harsh shampoo, most commercial hair products. The full she-bang and my hair is in great condition for it! So now i need you're help again in the next step of my battle!

However, I'm finding it incredibly difficult to actually grow my hair! I'm lucky to get 1/4" a month and it's just feels so impossibly hopeless. For 2 years I've been battling with my hair never quite reaching BSL, while having aspirations of WL.

My hair is dyed. I bleach my roots every 2-3 months using the lowest volume peroxide i can get. This is probably the only hair sin I have to this date. I don't feel like my hairs badly damaged or anything, or that I'm having any issues retaining length it's just getting the growth from the roots I need.

What, if any, tips or tricks could help me? I'm not looking for a miracle 1" a month or anything(though I wouldn't say no), I just want to give my hair a fighting chance of getting some real length, I really feel like i should have surpassed BSL by now!

Length
    27"/calf/???
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Default Re: How do you deal with slow growth?

Are you sure your hair isn't breaking off at the ends? That could be what's stalling your growth if your hair is bleached. If that's not the case, I would encourage you to put it up, (out of sight, out of mind) and occupy yourself with other things. Waiting for hair to grow is like watching for a pot to boil. It doesn't happen. Try not to stress over it. Growth will come at its own pace

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

There's not much you can do about it apart from keeping yourself as healthy and stress free as you can and hope that the growth will speed up a little.
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Length
    Shldr/CBL/Happy
    Type
    2c/F/ii

You dont have to reply in the thread itself if you feel like the answers are private, but these are some things that come to mind when I hear about slow growth:

Have you always had slow growth or is this a new problem?
    Do you eat well and are you otherwise healthy?
    Had some blood tests done lately (like thyroid)?

Good luck, I really hope youŽll find a solution and get the growth rate you wish for
    Last edited by restless; January 24th, 2016 at 01:18 PM. Reason: typo

Length
    27"/calf/???
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahlabyrinth View Post
    There's not much you can do about it apart from keeping yourself as healthy and stress free as you can and hope that the growth will speed up a little.
    Yes, this! Take good care of yourself and eliminate unnecessary stress.

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet_Decadence View Post
    My hair is dyed. I bleach my roots every 2-3 months using the lowest volume peroxide i can get. This is probably the only hair sin I have to this date. I don't feel like my hairs badly damaged or anything, or that I'm having any issues retaining length it's just getting the growth from the roots I need.

What, if any, tips or tricks could help me? I'm not looking for a miracle 1" a month or anything(though I wouldn't say no), I just want to give my hair a fighting chance of getting some real length, I really feel like i should have surpassed BSL by now!
    Yeah, bleach will do that to you. It might indeed be breaking off at the ends. Have you checked your hair for white dots? Done an S&D mission and carefully looked at the texture of your hair? There might be terrible damage there. I know bleach does that to you, esp. when you color on top of it. I've been there, trust me, and never got past BSL.

I just went all virgin after a terrible chemical cut & burn, and now I am classic. I don't think you can ask for much more growth than 1/2 inch a month, that is about normal growth. It is slow, but it should progress. If it isn't, not after a long while, then something is up and it is mostly to do with whatever it is you are doing to your hair.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Growing back to TBL! &:D LongCurlyTress's Avatar
    Type
    3b/F/iii

So i had a wee search for this, but nothing came up that looked too helpful! Sorry if this topics been well covered and I missed it!

I joined this forum a few years ago. Soaked up all the knowledge I could then started babying my hair, wearing it in protected buns and braids. Abolished heat, harsh shampoo, most commercial hair products. The full she-bang and my hair is in great condition for it! So now i need you're help again in the next step of my battle!

However, I'm finding it incredibly difficult to actually grow my hair! I'm lucky to get 1/4" a month and it's just feels so impossibly hopeless. For 2 years I've been battling with my hair never quite reaching BSL, while having aspirations of WL.

If you really want your hair to grow, stop all dye and bleach and see what happens. I bet you will be pleasantly surprised. Just saying.... Eat protein, drink lots of water, massage your scalp and your hair will grow! Good luck!

July, 2016 @ 37inches TBL

Length
    SL/APL/WL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Thank you for the advice! I've always appreciated how grounded and real everyone is here, and doesn't try to push snake oil on me. I'm a bit disappointed that there doesnt seem to be anyway to give my growth rate a wee boost though I must admit though the notion of letting my hair go virgin terrifys me somewhat! My bright hair is like an extension of my soul.

Quote Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
    Are you sure your hair isn't breaking off at the ends?
    Yeah, I'm fairly certain! When I get hair come away, I'll usually inspect it t. Usually its a full root-to-tip shed hair, rather than a broke piece, If that makes sense! It was a problem I used too have back before I started using the LHC way of hair care a few years ago.

You dont have to reply in the thread itself if you feel like the answers are private, but these are some things that come to mind when I hear about slow growth:

Have you always had slow growth or is this a new problem?
    Do you eat well and are you otherwise healthy?
    Had some blood tests done lately (like thyroid)?

Good luck, I really hope youŽll find a solution and get the growth rate you wish for
    My mum has thyroid issues. So far, as far as I'm aware, I don't but I've never been tested for such issues!

Yeah, bleach will do that to you. It might indeed be breaking off at the ends. Have you checked your hair for white dots? Done an S&D mission and carefully looked at the texture of your hair? There might be terrible damage there. I know bleach does that to you, esp. when you color on top of it. I've been there, trust me, and never got past BSL.

I just went all virgin after a terrible chemical cut & burn, and now I am classic. I don't think you can ask for much more growth than 1/2 inch a month, that is about normal growth. It is slow, but it should progress. If it isn't, not after a long while, then something is up and it is mostly to do with whatever it is you are doing to your hair.
    I'm so careful with my hair because it is so delicate and I do indeed bleach it but my hairs pretty healthy and I don't suffer from much breakage. I'm not, personally very concerned that the bleach is causing the problems, unless it can have some effect in the scalp preventing/slowing down the growth from the root that I'm not aware of.

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

My mum has thyroid issues. So far, as far as I'm aware, I don't but I've never been tested for such issues!

(...)

I'm so careful with my hair because it is so delicate and I do indeed bleach it but my hairs pretty healthy and I don't suffer from much breakage. I'm not, personally very concerned that the bleach is causing the problems, unless it can have some effect in the scalp preventing/slowing down the growth from the root that I'm not aware of.
    I'd definitely get that blood test done!

Well you are putting straight up chemicals on your scalp. And it will be stronger if your hair is darker, because you'll have a stronger bleach percentage on your head. Judging from your avatar you are quite light (so bleaching a lot).

As far as the ends being OK. Your hair *will* be more brittle due to the bleach, whether you like it or not or think your hair is healthy (it is not the same as untreated hair).
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    27"/calf/???
    Type
    2a/M/iii

It's good you're not noticing too much breakage. I'd also suggest getting blood work done just in case...
    Seconding what Lapushka has said again... your hair is definitely more prone to breakage due to the bleaching. It's just the effect of this chemical.