Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My boyfriend has decided to let his hair grow! (Pic heavy)

Length
    40.6/45.6/Knee
    Type
    2a/2b/M/iii

Default My boyfriend has decided to let his hair grow! (Pic heavy)

Hi all of my favorite longhair gurus!

So I guess my love for long hair has rubbed off on my boyfriend, he wants to let his hair grow and see what he feels about it as its grows longer and longer.
    But I am a bit at a loss on what advice to give him on styling and such at the stage he is currently at, as I havent had above shoulder length hair since I was 6 years old.

Right now he hasnt had a haircut since early August last year and his hair is about 4 inches long, so it seems to grow at a pace I cant help but envy and to me it seems to have some curls/waves going on even though its that short.

So what would you recommend he do to keep his hair out of his face at this stage?
    And what other fun hairstyles does he have to look forward to as his hair grows longer?

What kind of hair texture do you think he will have as it grows longer?
    Will it keep being curly or is it because of its length it just looks like it is more curly then straight?

Any other kind of advice or encouragement you can think of would be most welcome.

Some different angles to give you an idea what his hair looks like, I have taken some off at the sides and its newly washed here and brushed with my tangle teezer:

And the cute mullet he has going on in the back at the moment as his hair just has this curl at his neck:

This is how long it is now when its wet:

This is how short it was just last August, just 6 months ago:
    https://scontent-lcy1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/187269095_10158652152164011_6714569555409474266_n.  jpg?_nc_cat=104&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=3t0z8DrmzYgAX9mn43M&_nc_h  t=scontent-lcy1-1.xx&oh=2a06851c05d9cf14a8913bb90a73988e&oe=60C623  D8

Length
    BSL/floor/floor
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

Default Re: My boyfriend has decided to let his hair grow! (Pic heavy)

Does he have enough hair to put it up in a bun? Or even a low pony or braid? How nice that the two of you can be on this hair-growing journey together!

Type
    2a/M/i/ii

Hi! For some reason, I can't see the pictures. Might be my "newbie" status. But my fiance has long hair, maybe past apl. He just leaves it down or pulls it back into a ponytail, which would probably work for your guy even at this stage. I have been trying to convince him (in a playful way) to get one of those manly deer antler hair sticks off of Etsy for his hair. Maybe your boyfriend could give those a look and see what he thinks for when his hair gets longer.

Length
    40.6/45.6/Knee
    Type
    2a/2b/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
    Does he have enough hair to put it up in a bun? Or even a low pony or braid? How nice that the two of you can be on this hair-growing journey together!
    Unfortunately no, its just long enough to gather up about half of it and pony it and I dont think two ponytails/buns is the way to go.

We had a thought that maybe he could get some kind of product so he could sweep his hair back and it would stay there, but I am lost in the product jungle when it comes to things like that as I never use anything like that to tame my hair.
    So I would be grateful if anyone has some advice on what kind of product we could try for that?
    https://scontent-lcy1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/187269095_10158652152164011_6714569555409474266_n.  jpg?_nc_cat=104&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=3t0z8DrmzYgAX9mn43M&_nc_h  t=scontent-lcy1-1.xx&oh=2a06851c05d9cf14a8913bb90a73988e&oe=60C623  D8

Length
    40.6/45.6/Knee
    Type
    2a/2b/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Gaalsong View Post
    Hi! For some reason, I can't see the pictures. Might be my "newbie" status. But my fiance has long hair, maybe past apl. He just leaves it down or pulls it back into a ponytail, which would probably work for your guy even at this stage. I have been trying to convince him (in a playful way) to get one of those manly deer antler hair sticks off of Etsy for his hair. Maybe your boyfriend could give those a look and see what he thinks for when his hair gets longer.
    Yes sorry to say its because you havent posted enough that you cant see the pics as they are linked to an album here, hopefully you will be able to very soon.
    And thanks for your input, looking at fun hairtoys he can use further on is a really great idea I feel.

Length
    Pixie/WL/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Hmm.. At that length, I tended to twist my bangs to the side and pin it, or slick it back. Might I recommend bumble and bumble sumotech? It worked well for me. I think the other brand to try would be... Crew? Or American Crew? Something like that. I personally liked a drier, more matte pomade that didn't leave me feeling overly gelled. Also, grooming it into shape while wet/damp really, really helps at that length. Starting at the wet hair stage, towel it gently and comb it into desired shape, possibly using a touch of mousse or gel. Keep grooming it back into shape every time it tries to do its own thing until nearly dry, then add pomade and finish the shape.
    Pixie-Bob-Shoulder-CBL-APL-BSL-WL-HL-BCL-TBL 2019!

Lady Hester, Healer of the Platte and Plains in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

At that length, I started to use headbands and those sporty bands you sometimes see footballers wearing. They served the function of keeping my hair out of my eyes, especially on windy days. Regarding products, I found that leave-in conditioner worked for me and my hair is wavy-curly, like his.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    bald/Hip:)/termi
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

Headbands might help. Maybe hats? Maybe some aloe gel?

He looks like he has some curls in his hair but they might (not for sure on this though) be stretched out by the weight of the hair as it grows longer. The hair on the back of his head looks wavy. Who knows, he might have a random curly spiral in the front where I see the curl on the first 2 photos. Maybe he is around 2b or 2c? Or even 2c/3a? I have around 2c/3a hair, or 3a hair. My hair is curlier than his hair though. Maybe you can also trying combing it and mess around with how he parts his hair whether it be on the left, or to the right, or in zig-zags. Also, maybe once his hair is long enough, you can try small Dutch and French braids in his hair.

What worked for me as soon as I could twist and bun my hair are mini spin pins. I even used to use them instead of hair sticks when I had longer hair before years ago. I use 1 mini spin pin to hold my cinnabuns and to hold my peacock twists. It works fine and doesn't hurt. If he has thin hair and when it's short, the mini spin pins might work, but if it's thick, maybe the bigger ones can work. The good thing about the spin pins is that they are not showy if he is too shy. When he is able to bun his hair, or when he can make a ponytail, you can try the spin pins. And yes, you can wear a ponytail with spin pins.
    Here's a quick video on that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRuMv4fBa50

Also, around collarbone length hair and shoulder length hair he can look into peacock twists if he wants with hairsticks (which you can also use spin pins for). Here is a video on that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boGblrUa_O8

Length
    1"/APL/WL?
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

Awesome! Headbands work or hats, but when I needed to look more professional at work I went with the gel/pomade slicked bak look and then eventually with a little length started tying what I could manage into a ponytail and using gel plus a couple pins to hold back the rest.

Length
    CL/BSL/WL
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

I second slicked back. My boyfriend grew his hair out from a buzz cut 3 years ago when we started dating and now has mid-back length hair. There was a lot of awkward stages of growth before he got to shoulder length and slicking it back helped a lot!