Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I tried straw curls...

Length
    17/45/40
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii/iii

Default I tried straw curls...

If you don't know what "straw curls" are, they're basically when you create a "curl" using a regular drinking straw - the words in quotations are meant to be read sarcastically, by the way.

So, I had the brilliant idea to try it after seeing pins on Pinterest, posts on Facebook, and different YouTube videos claiming how "amazing" they were and that they "really worked". Again, sarcasm.

Since I'm relatively new to YouTube and overflowing with sarcasm, I decided to try it out and film the entire process - everything from the "I don't know what I'm doing" to the "Oh god, what have I done?!" as well as everything in between. And, let's just say, it went a bit awry...and that's the nicest thing I could say without having to censor out a bunch of expletives.

Firstly, I learned that "straw curls" are essentially just tiny curled dreadlocks that will result in the unholiest of all tangles. Secondly, I learned that it would take a lot of olive oil to work through said tangles. And lastly, that I would never, EVER attempt it again. So, for all those curious about whether or not "straw curls" work for us longer haired girls (or guys), just trust me on this: it doesn't.

If you're curious to see the entire nightmare unfold before your very eyes, I did post a 3-part series. I'm not trying to be all "self promoting", I just thought some of you might enjoy this! Get ready for some laughs and lots of swearing. Seriously, there's a lot even though I tried my best to edit out most of it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4oVuJ8-qcw

Length
    neck/mbl/Tbl
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

Default Re: I tried straw curls...

Lol I actually think they look rashly cute on you, you have really pretty hair. I can imagine they probably do tangle really easily though.

"The dreams of childhood- its airy fables,its graceful, beautiful, humane, impossible adornments of the world beyond; so good to be believed in once, so good to be remembered when outgrown..." - Charles Dickens
    el~nl~sl~cbl~apl~bsl~mbl~wl~hl

Length
    CBL/Hip/TBL
    Type
    1c/F/ii

They look really cute but yeah definitely not worth the tangles! I'm glad I saw this before attempting them on myself so thanks for the warning

Type
    2a/F/i

LOL you're really cute! I'm glad I saw thing before attempting these curls. I'm always looking for heatless curling methods, now I can strike this off my list.

BSL: Made it!Off to Waist!

Length
    17/45/40
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Nadine <3 View Post
    LOL you're really cute! I'm glad I saw thing before attempting these curls. I'm always looking for heatless curling methods, now I can strike this off my list.
    Yeah, I definitely do not recommend these! But, I'm glad I tried it out. Thankfully, my hair is 100% okay after this and I did get a really great oiling treatment afterwards, so that's a plus

Length
    0.1/SHL/MB
    Type
    1c/F/ii

It looks completely awesome!!!!

Im a natural 1B-C head and growing out from so!

<a href=https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=69220&dateline=1544502239 target=_blank>https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...ine=1544502239</a>

Length
    Pixie/BCL/?!
    Type
    3b/3c/M/C/ii

I'm always so surprised when people put tight curls in their hair and then are surprised that they can't easily detangle it, and that running their fingers through it is absolutely not going to happen. Has there ever been a post by a curly that is essentially "Omg, my hair is the easiest thing ever to maintain"?

Curly hair is a beast, and there is a reason there is an almost science to managing it. I saw a pretty believable head of 3b faux curls....and then the appropriate despair over the lack of 2nd day hair and then the lightbulb come on when she realized detangling was going to need to happen.

They are not curled dreadlocks, btw. Dreadlocks, good ones, are meticulously maintained and a gorgeous style. I do believe you probably experienced the joy of matting....which is again par for the course with tightly curly hair.
    Grew out the pixie.
    Acquired a mane.
    Cruising toward Classic.

**For my routine, please see my blog posts.**

Length
    BSL/Chin/Chin
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyCap View Post
    I'm always so surprised when people put tight curls in their hair and then are surprised that they can't easily detangle it, and that running their fingers through it is absolutely not going to happen. Has there ever been a post by a curly that is essentially "Omg, my hair is the easiest thing ever to maintain"?

Curly hair is a beast, and there is a reason there is an almost science to managing it. I saw a pretty believable head of 3b faux curls....and then the appropriate despair over the lack of 2nd day hair and then the lightbulb come on when she realized detangling was going to need to happen.

They are not curled dreadlocks, btw. Dreadlocks, good ones, are meticulously maintained and a gorgeous style. I do believe you probably experienced the joy of matting....which is again par for the course with tightly curly hair.
    Been there, done that.. That's the reason why I don't do heatless curls anymore, the tangles and matting on day 2 was too much for me to deal with. Spending hours putting my hair into rag curls, sleeping uncomfortably, getting an uneven result that mostly fell out again after a few hours, and then spending 4-5 hours crying and detangling a matted mess the day after just didn't seem worth it to me. If I want curly hair these days, I use a curling wand. For some reason those curls don't tangle much, and I can have nice wavy 2nd day hair with curly ends.

I remember someone on here tried to do straw curls with pipe cleaners. It was a disaster, to put it mildly.
    Thunder and lightning won’t change what I’m feeling, and the daffodils look lovely today
    From tbl+ to short bob

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Do you want feedback on the videos?

Always behave like a duck -
    keep calm and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the devil underneath.

Length
    BSL/Hip/?
    Type
    3c/4a/M/ii/iii

Lol, I thought it turned out okay for a first attempt. Yes curls do require careful managing because they will tangle. Those look nothing like dreadlocks.
    Kay , BSL > MBL > Waist > Hip