Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How can I get heatless curls to stick all day? Or a curling methood for public wear?

Length
    26/Calf/?
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii

Default How can I get heatless curls to stick all day? Or a curling methood for public wear?

I've got a high school play production coming up, and it looks like they want crown volume and possibly curls. Normally I sleep in soft rollers for curls, but they mostly fall out to a soft wave with curled ends. My hair also takes a while to dry. So, what can I do to make Wesnesday night-curled hair last until Thursday night? Or is there a curling method that I can wear to school without looking ridiculous? Or any tips for a faster non-heat set I can do after school in the hours before the play? Hats and bandannas are not allowed as hair accessories (basically no head coverings). My plan is to do my hair in advance so that someone else doesn't need to take over, because no one else will be as protective or as gentle with my hair as I am.

Also, how can I get volume without teasing? I don't have enough sheds collected for a proper rat yet.

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Default Re: How can I get heatless curls to stick all day? Or a curling methood for public we

If you need specifically a style that you can wear during the whole day and then take it out at night to get curls, how about a bun or a few buns high up? But it will give you voluminous waves rather than curls. Another alternative would be to do multiple Dutch Braids or cornrows or braids starting very close to scalp (the more braids you make, the more volume you'll get) and braiding (or banding) them together for the day, until you are ready to un-braid them. Un-braiding can take a few minutes. Make sure you do this on clean and damp hair, and maybe add a bit of diluted conditioner and gel or styling cream. You can also hair-spray your braids/buns for better curl hold. Keeping these styles for multiple hours should give decent hold. You might need to test how this works on your hairtype in advance, to avoid unpleasant surprises. Best of luck!

Length
    28/39/44
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i/ii

Default Re: How can I get heatless curls to stick all day? Or a curling methood for public we

Quote Originally Posted by meteor View Post
    If you need specifically a style that you can wear during the whole day and then take it out at night to get curls, how about a bun or a few buns high up? But it will give you voluminous waves rather than curls.
    I get curls, not waves, when I wear my hair in a sock bun. Perfect for the day, and then you can take it down at night! I find it works best on damp hair when left up for at least 6+ hours (I usually sleep on it).

Length
    18''/29"/33"
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

(ETA looks like everyone posted first about the buns!) So, a curling method that won't look ridiculous would probably be rope braids, especially rope braid buns. You could definitely do at least 2 without looking ridiculous, maybe up to 4 if you put them vertically in a line (like a mohawk of buns). You'll probably want to still use some hair gel in it while it dries, as it will set the curls better once they are fully dried. And I would recommend sleeping in a silky cap if you can, to prevent frizzing.

As for volume - to be honest, teasing isn't the *worst* thing in the world, especially if you detangle it carefully and with conditioner afterwards. LHC-ers already tend to have MUCH healthier hair than the average person, so it can stand up to the occasional teasing/hairspraying/what have you.

If you're absolutely against teasing (which you might be, if you're planning lengths of knee+ ), my next suggestion would be to get some foam, like the foam they sell in fabric stores for cushions. You can cut it to a shape that gives you the necessary volume (and that you can comb your hair over). Think of it like making your own custom Bump-it. Then paint it in a color close to your hair color. Especially from stage, no one will be able to tell the difference. I was in a play back in high school where I HAD to have a super curly ponytail every night, and my hair does NOT hold curl that well, so I ended up going to the local Family Dollar and buying a fake detachable ponytail that was already curly. It was only vaguely the same color as my hair, but from stage you really couldn't tell the difference. So I doubt anyone will be able to see a foam form that you comb your hair over if it's painted close to your natural color.
    ☼ Men are that they might have joy. ☼

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Hair powder = teasing in a bottle

Always behave like a duck -
    keep calm and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the devil underneath.

Length
    0.1/SHL/MB
    Type
    1c/F/ii

I think the only proper curling heatless style that looks great outdoors is headband curls method. It gives a 30's type of look in the front, especially if you use black one and push it backwards, or you try a long but thin scarf and tie a nice bow to it, you can also add a nice embellishment jewelry on top. The only downside of this method, is that it can create some knots in your hair if it's very long. Other than that, my mom always have gorgeous glamorous hair with this method I do to her every night.

.... and for volume, try hair powder, that gives a lot of volume on roots and paired with those curls, hair is going to look big!!!!

..... last minute thingy, you can try a sock bun curling thingy or a pin curl bun too. This video shows how to and you hair is going to look fantastic!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Evu05WFYRyU

Im a natural 1B-C head and growing out from so!

<a href=https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=69220&dateline=1544502239 target=_blank>https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...ine=1544502239</a>

Length
    APL/APL/Waist
    Type
    2c/F/i/ii

I don't know if it's cold where you live, but if you need curls you could put your hair in a high pony tail, or multiple pony tails and then put in the foam curlers. Then wear a soft beanie and/or a bun net over over the curlers. I used to do ballet as a kid, and the bun net helped keep the curlers in while I would play during school.

1/14/16
    APL -
    - BSL - - MBL - - WL

Length
    Pixie/BCL/?!
    Type
    3b/3c/M/C/ii

Rag curls set with a bit of product work on the finest, curl resistant hair. A highschool friend used do to hers with cloth ribbons in school colors so she could wear it to school. It still looked....insane...but it was fun and spunky so she got away with it.
    Grew out the pixie.
    Acquired a mane.
    Cruising toward Classic.

**For my routine, please see my blog posts.**

Use curlers overnight that are smaller than you think you need. Yes, you will get too-tight curls in the morning, but a good brush-out is what makes the difference. If you take the time to thoroughly brush them out and smooth them they will loosen up but will last all day.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Always start from nearly dry (90%) hair or dry hair that you dampen a slight bit. Curling it totally wet is a no-no - it is just never going to dry well (not in time at least). I'd use flexi rods if your hair is on the long side, instead of perm rods or other rollers.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)