Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to make buns more taut?

Length
    27"/calf/???
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Question How to make buns more taut?

Hi everyone
    So I just recently started using hairsticks to put my hair up. I've been doing the lazy wrap bun but lately just can't create enough tension for it to stay very long. I can feel that it's loose on my head. It stays if I don't move around too vigorously but it's mostly my OCD around how it's not solid that bothers me. I used this wikihow article for instructions: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Lazy-Wrap-Bun
    If anyone can offer me tips to create tighter buns, that would be so great! Also, I'm open to trying other 'beginner' buns if you have suggestions.
    Thank you!!!

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: How to make buns more taut?

Don't make the loop around your fingers too big. Ever since cutting in different layers, my hair has compacted, and I went (had to go) from a bigger loop to a smaller one, my LWB had become too loose as well. Experiment with the size of the initial loop!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    WL/TBL/FTL?
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

I'll be watching this thread as I am interested in this as well

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I agree with Lapushka on the smaller initial loop. The other thing that makes a huge difference for me is to twist the hair a couple times for that outer loop (even if you don't twist the inner wrapped part). I usually do this at least a bit because it helps the updo hold better throughout the day, instead of sagging lower and looser as time passes.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    27"/calf/???
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Oh, I didn't think of that Thank you, Lapushka! Although, I'm not sure how much smaller I can make the initial loop... I only wrap it around one finger as it is but I will try. I will also try twisting as well, thanks Anje!

Is there any technique to maneuvering the hairstick and sticking it through that I may be missing?

Not a fan of labels. missblueeyes's Avatar
    Length
    Chin/Hip/TBL
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Just be careful not to tighten the bun too much. If it's too tight, frequent bunning can cause breakage and hair loss. If you can't fit a small finger between your hair and your scalp or if you have to force your stick through the bun, it's too tight.
    Chin | APL | BSL | Waist | Hip | BCL | TBL

Length
    27"/calf/???
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Thanks for the tip, missblueeyes. Argh, I still can't quite get the hang of it - I'm worried all this bunning and unbunning is damaging to my hair I want to get it right on the first try. Does anyone else have any advice?

Type
    2a/C/iii

Maybe try a different kind of bun. The nautilus holds well. I can get a cinnabun to hold well with two sticks.
    Ed
    If there's something strange with your long hair / Who you gonna call? / L-H-C! (sung to the tune of Ghostbusters)

Length
    32/42/44
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Thirding it's all about the size of the loop. Sounds like something about the way you make the bun could be off. Are you looping the loop you make with one finger right round all the other hair, or is it sitting on top? I am surprised you can make one with one finger at your length!

If you can't make the loop any smaller, you could try making the hair toy bigger. Something that is wider around, has more prongs or using more than one stick will make it tighter also.
    Last edited by cathair; January 12th, 2016 at 06:10 PM.

Grew from shoulder to thumb length in 7 years without trims. Now maintaining.
    There once was a girl, who had a little curl, right in the middle of her forehead. When she was good she was very, very good. But when she was bad she was horrid.

Length
    27"/calf/???
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by cathair View Post
    Thirding it's all about the size of the loop. Sounds like something about the way you make the bun could be off. Are you looping the loop you make with one finger right round all the other hair, or is it sitting on top? I am surprised you can make one with one finger at your length!

If you can't make the loop any smaller, you could try making the hair toy bigger. Something that is wider around, has more prongs or using more than one stick will make it tighter also.
    I'm not quite sure I understand. I make the loop around my index finger and then wrap the hair around it... I'm not really sure if it ends up sitting on top
    Also, what did you mean you're surprised I can make it with one finger at my length? Should I be making it with more fingers? Wouldn't that make it bigger, instead of smaller which I've been advised is better? Sorry, just confused