Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! BSL with no end in sight.

Length
    26"/30"/33"
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Default Help! BSL with no end in sight.

Hi everyone!

I am pretty new, though I have been reading threads on this forum for a while.

I'm pretty cool with my hair. The thickness is fine; it's shiny and straight, but I can't get very far past BSL before the ends show some serious damage. I do have partial highlights, so I know that doesn't help, but a vast majority of my hair is untouched and it still breaks. I don't use any heat, and I don't brush when wet. I just lopped off three inches, and everything is pretty good for now, so it's Operation Avoid Split Ends. Here's what I am doing now to try and remedy it. I am washing only twice a week, using dry shampoo when it gets bad. When I do wash, I put in coconut oil before my shower, and then I wash it out with Aveda shampoo. I deep condition with a hair mask on those two days. After the shower, I put in a protein treatment (once a week), and then I do a leave in conditioner and air dry. I am finally committing to wearing my hair up during the day and braided at night. Before bed, I am oiling the ends with jojoba oil, and in the morning, I am using a serum with water soluble cones before I carefully comb it out. These reactionary measures are new for me. I had just nixed heat products combed carefully before all this. Now I see I have to double my efforts.

Please let me know if you need to know more. I am in need of some more experienced opinions, so let me know if I can help you help me. Thanks so so much!

I'd rather be outside browneyedsusan's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/TBL/???
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Re: Help! BSL with no end in sight.

I think your hair will come around to your way of thinking. It sounds like you're doing a lot of things to your hair, though. The 2 main things are 1) wear it up most of the time--especially to bed; and 2) don't use heat on it --no blowdrying, no hot water, no hot styling tools. (I'm unfamiliar with growing out damage, though.)

IMHO, BSL is a sketchy marker. It looks different every time you look at it! It seemed like I was "stuck" at BSL for 6 solid months. Maybe more. I knew it was growing, because I kept having to re-henna my roots, but the length looked completely stalled. Then, one day I looked at it and thought to myself: "Self, it looks like we're almost to waist?!? How in thunder did that happen???"

Now, I'm having similar feelings about WL; but I've been here before. One day, I'll look at it, and it will be almost hip. Until then, just put it up and forget about it!

happy growing!

henna keeps it
    red, and red makes me happy.
    Pixied for 15+ years and liked it.
    Growing for fun.

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Protein once a week is a lot, even for highlights. It is a lot. I'd cut back on protein once every 2 weeks or even once a month. That should be more than enough!

Also, I'd adopt a nice S&D routine instead of going for trims straight off the bat.

Is there any possibility for giving up the highlights?

Also, heat takes a long long time to vanish from the hair. Damage needs to grow out. Maybe that's why you are still seeing so much bad ends on the hair. You basically need to start over from scratch, as if from a shaved head.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    26"/30"/33"
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Protein once a week is a lot, even for highlights. It is a lot. I'd cut back on protein once every 2 weeks or even once a month. That should be more than enough!

Also, I'd adopt a nice S&D routine instead of going for trims straight off the bat.

Is there any possibility for giving up the highlights?

Also, heat takes a long long time to vanish from the hair. Damage needs to grow out. Maybe that's why you are still seeing so much bad ends on the hair. You basically need to start over from scratch, as if from a shaved head.
    Thanks so much for telling me about the protein. The hairdresser had me using it every day a few years ago. Every day. Then I researched it and cut down, but apparently not enough. I will put it away for now. Thanks a ton. I prbly should just stop highlights, because it is one of those "common denominators" here. I just love how the different colors swirl around with curls and updo's.

The ends probably are seeing the last of the damage. I quick cold turkey about three years ago, and I used to only curl the bottom half of my head, so lets hope the end of those ends are near. haha

Anyhow, thanks for the help!

Length
    26"/30"/33"
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Oh and the S&D method is a good idea. I wish it wasn't weird to do that in class. I notice my split ends during class always. lol

Length
    18''/29"/33"
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Another thing - look for sources of mechanical damage. For example, if I put a ponytail hinder on the end of a braid, it's five for the day, but if I sleep in it or wear the braid for more than a day at a time I notice more "scrunching" of the hair. Also, a silky sleep cap has helped me tremendously at night, especially for the hair around my temples. Not that those are anywhere close to the ends of your hair, but more to point out that mechanical damage can be sneaky.
    ☼ Men are that they might have joy. ☼

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by ErikaRenee View Post
    Oh and the S&D method is a good idea. I wish it wasn't weird to do that in class. I notice my split ends during class always. lol
    Yeah, I know, in the weirdest of places, right? And the only thing you can think of then is, why don't I have scissors right now.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/BSL/waist
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

There's also the option of catnip tea soaks/rinses. I find it too much of a chore but you might not. I've seen evidence that it helps a lot.

Length
    26"/30"/33"
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Laurenji View Post
    Another thing - look for sources of mechanical damage. For example, if I put a ponytail hinder on the end of a braid, it's five for the day, but if I sleep in it or wear the braid for more than a day at a time I notice more "scrunching" of the hair. Also, a silky sleep cap has helped me tremendously at night, especially for the hair around my temples. Not that those are anywhere close to the ends of your hair, but more to point out that mechanical damage can be sneaky.
    Yeah I need to work on that. I should buy some more gentle hair ties. I have seen them at the store; they look like they would not contribute to breaking as much. I have had to cut those stupid elastics out of my hair before.

Also, I love your avatar. OMG I love those little guys. Have you seen peacock spiders? I just love spiders in general, but those are the cutest.

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    There's also the option of catnip tea soaks/rinses. I find it too much of a chore but you might not. I've seen evidence that it helps a lot.
    I saw that, and it might be worth the pain. But yeah, I did think it was pretty involved.

Quote Originally Posted by browneyedsusan View Post
    I think your hair will come around to your way of thinking. It sounds like you're doing a lot of things to your hair, though. The 2 main things are 1) wear it up most of the time--especially to bed; and 2) don't use heat on it --no blowdrying, no hot water, no hot styling tools. (I'm unfamiliar with growing out damage, though.)

IMHO, BSL is a sketchy marker. It looks different every time you look at it! It seemed like I was "stuck" at BSL for 6 solid months. Maybe more. I knew it was growing, because I kept having to re-henna my roots, but the length looked completely stalled. Then, one day I looked at it and thought to myself: "Self, it looks like we're almost to waist?!? How in thunder did that happen???"

Now, I'm having similar feelings about WL; but I've been here before. One day, I'll look at it, and it will be almost hip. Until then, just put it up and forget about it!

happy growing!
    I just took a new picture, and it looks like I actually have gone a little past BSL. So you are so right; it does feel like it's stuck, but it's not.
    Last edited by Gumball; January 9th, 2016 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Combined posts into multi-quote. See http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=43281 for details.

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by ErikaRenee View Post
    I don't use any heat, and I don't brush when wet. I just lopped off three inches, and everything is pretty good for now, so it's Operation Avoid Split Ends. Here's what I am doing now to try and remedy it. I am washing only twice a week, using dry shampoo when it gets bad. When I do wash, I put in coconut oil before my shower, and then I wash it out with Aveda shampoo. I deep condition with a hair mask on those two days. After the shower, I put in a protein treatment (once a week), and then I do a leave in conditioner and air dry. I am finally committing to wearing my hair up during the day and braided at night. Before bed, I am oiling the ends with jojoba oil, and in the morning, I am using a serum with water soluble cones before I carefully comb it out. These reactionary measures are new for me. I had just nixed heat products combed carefully before all this. Now I see I have to double my efforts.

Please let me know if you need to know more. I am in need of some more experienced opinions, so let me know if I can help you help me. Thanks so so much!
    You know, I think these things you've introduced (bolded) are excellent and are going to make a massive difference, especially putting hair up and oiling. Great job!

If dry shampoo isn't cutting it, you could try scalp-only washes (with diluted shampoo and bun covered under a plastic shower cap), they really clean the scalp but allow you to protect the ends from extra washing, drying and wet manipulation.

I'd recommend sleeping on silky smooth pillowcases (consider silk material and satin weave, e.g. charmeuse, but anything smooth works) and/or sleep bonnets. They will provide enough glide for hair so you should notice less snagging, tangling and less drying out, and the hairstyles should be preserved better overnight. Alternatively, you can cover the pillow and/or your length with a silk scarf/blouse.

I know you said you don't brush when wet, but sometimes brushing is not needed at all, after all brushing is normally there for "polishing" rather than basic detangling. Check if just a rake/comb is possibly all you need? I know I stopped getting split ends as soon as I ditched my rough brush.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurenji View Post
    Most definitely!