Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sleep habits

Length
    class/TB/class
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Default Sleep habits

Hewwo. Hey, does sleep affect our hair growth a lot? What if I lack of like 2 hours of sleep every night? Will my hair suffer from it a lot or does it not have a big impact?

I'm a night owl but I have schooool. :P

At least I don't go to bed at 3 anymore. :O I swear when this semester is done I will ehm...try to go to bed even earlier! I think Bailey needs my sleep.

Length
    20"/46"/?
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Default Re: Sleep habits

I doubt it will have an impact big enough to stress over, if it has an impact at all. Worrying about whether it's affecting your growth rate might keep you awake

Complex creature

Hello CreatureBailey !

A temporary lack of sleep should not have a big impact, I think. But if the lack of sleep tends to be long lasting, and if you have to face with a stressful life too, it may affect your hair. Definitely. Sooner or later, the body has "to pay the bill". I have gone through several very stressful years, and the uber hyper sensitive and emotional person I am finally fell into severe exhaustion... with all the consequences that go together with it : anemia, anxiety, insomnia, etc. I started to lose my hair by handfuls every day and that's what finally drew me to the doctor. I was "au bout du rouleau" like we say in French (= "at the end of the roll" ^^ = totally worn out).

It took me YEARS to catch back the disasters of exhaustion and to get my beautiful shiny hair back. I still suffer from chronic fatigue. And I know that if I don't get my need of sleep, I shall pay the bill in the next coming days, weeks or months. My hair growth slows down. And probably the growth during this time is not as healthy either, creating weak points in the length. I don't worry too much about my hair, though. I worry much more about my overall health, but hair is an indicator. Hair is such an important indicator of health that the whole humanity shares a common attraction and desire fort abundant, healthy, shiny hair. This is not just a fashion matter : hair says much about your health. Poor hair (= scarce due to abnormal shedding, too dry or too greasy, brittle, not shiny, etc.) should warn you to make some changes in your life and/or alimentation, get enough rest, less stress, better food (= more organic fresh veggies and less fats and sugars), and enough exercise. I don't mention hair care adjustments : less shampooing, stop heat and chemicals, brush/comb gently, etc. which most of us already do.

In order you to fully understand my point, I put 2 pictures here below : the first one was many years ago, just before I was at my lowest point. My hair was long but you can see that it doesn't look like it is at its best, considering what "its best" means on me. It had no shine, was dry, brittle, scarce and see through. One year after that, I was so desperate that cut it to a short bob. The second picture is some years after I was treated for my severe exhaustion and anemic state (actually last July^^) : you can see that my hair has grown back so much thicker. In my siggy pics, you can see how much shinier it is too. So, yes, long lasting lack of sleep and stress lead to exhaustion, and this is devastating for the whole body and mind.

OK, sorry for repeating my story again and again. But when I see how far we can go before we actually realize that something is going wrong, I feel like it is my mission to warn you, young and healthy folks in here ! Take care of yourselves and your hair will thank you and reward you with nice shiny vivid hair.

Length
    WL/TBL/FTL?
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Mimha, oh my, that's really interesting! Perhaps this might be why my hair looks like it does.. I too sleep only at 2-3 in the holidays and at about 12 during school when I have to wake up at 6.. perhaps I should try to achieve a better sleep pattern :/

Length
    Pixie/WL/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I think that I'm stuck in a vicious cycle between exhaustion and insomnia, where I need to physically tire my body out during the day so it will rest at night.

I know it must take a toll on my hair, because my hair growth does feel slower than it used to be. Though I will say, with LHC care, my hair is healthier than ever before, even with sleep problems.
    Pixie-Bob-Shoulder-CBL-APL-BSL-WL-HL-BCL-TBL 2019!

Lady Hester, Healer of the Platte and Plains in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    20/TBL/CL
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

I know when I don't get enough sleep for an extended period everything dips, my immune system for example and I imagine my hair growthat lags. It actually did the last spring when my anxiety got a little out of hand and my sleep suffered. It did grow but it's now surging.

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I have delayed phase sleep disorder:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delaye...phase_disorder

Meaning that my internal clock doesn't move. Being that I work a first shift job, this means that I:

- get up at 7am
    - come home and sleep from 6pm-8pm
    - wake back up and stay up until 3am
    - go to bed and get up at 7 for work

On weekends, I often sleep until noon - 2pm

I'm fairly sure this doesn't hurt my hair growth at all.
    Last edited by Nightshade; January 7th, 2016 at 03:05 PM.

Length
    Chin/Hip/???
    Type
    2a/M/iii

I have gone through many years of either severe sleep deprivation or very irregular sleeping patterns. On days that I have school or work, I usually sleep 5 hours at most. But on the weekends, I can sleep up to 14 hours! My hair has not been effected by this. My hair is thick, shiny and I don't have noticeable breakage. But I know other people whose hair suffer tremendously when they don't get enough sleep for long periods of time. So I guess it depends on the person.

Length
    Pixie/WL/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
    I have delayed phase sleep disorder:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delaye...phase_disorder

Meaning that my internal clock doesn't move. Being that I work a first shift job, this means that I:

- get up at 7am
    - come home and work from 6pm-8pm
    - wake back up and stay up until 3am
    - go to bed and get up at 7 for work

On weekends, I often sleep until noon - 2pm

I'm fairly sure this doesn't hurt my hair growth at all.
    Oh my gosh! So THIS is why I can sleep so well at dawn! My favored sleep hours in the city are from 1AM to somewhere around 10 or 11. If I force myself into sleeping like a normal person, though, I want to zonk back out from 5 to noon.
    Pixie-Bob-Shoulder-CBL-APL-BSL-WL-HL-BCL-TBL 2019!

Lady Hester, Healer of the Platte and Plains in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by missrandie View Post
    Oh my gosh! So THIS is why I can sleep so well at dawn! My favored sleep hours in the city are from 1AM to somewhere around 10 or 11. If I force myself into sleeping like a normal person, though, I want to zonk back out from 5 to noon.
    Hahahhaaha nice to know you're not crazy, isn't it? I was so happy when I discovered this was a thing and I wasn't just a lazy bum like a bunch of people liked to imply.

"Why don't you just go to bed earlier?"

Really? If it was that easy I'd have done that decades ago.