Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recovering & Recovered Anorexics!

Default Recovering & Recovered Anorexics!

Hello everyone,

I'm currently recovering from an eating disorder. The shedding has gotten a lot lesser and I see lots of regrowth! I would like to know if it's possible for recovering anorexics to recover their thick hair back as well. If you have recovered your hair after anorexia, please post your experience, and if you don't mind as well, a picture of your lovely hair! It'll really motivate me to recover. Thank you!

Length
    21/37/51
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Default Re: Recovering & Recovered Anorexics!

I haven't gotten my full thickness back yet, but the crazy shedding stopped a few months after I started eating better (hair tends to have a delayed reaction). Most of what I lost has started growing back, although it isn't as long as rest of it yet so my braid taper is pretty strange looking! The changes were more apparent by feel rather than appearance, but I'll attach a few pictures if I can find any.

I might get all my hair back once I'm fully recovered, but I at least know it's possible to get most of it back. My current growth rate is also higher than average (7-8 inches a year), which isn't something you get without eating properly

Good luck on your recovery!!
    34-35-36-37-38-39-CLASSIC!

The Cheery Raggamuffin AutobotsAttack's Avatar
    Length
    Chin/39in/FTL
    Type
    3c/4a/F/iii

its taken me an extremely long time for my hair to recover. My eating disorder was coupled with bulimia for a gruesome 14 years, and to this day i still cringe because i am surrounded by tons of triggers. I will say that patience and good sources of proteins will help in the recovery process (Not trying to peach or be condescending). Once your body has enough energy to do other functions aside from just struggling to keep yourself alive your hair will thrive almost 10 fold i promise. In my avatar is my current length, and if i can find one ill you a picture of when i wasnt doing so good and how thin and lifeless my curls were. I'm not even "fully" recovered yet, But i wish you the best of luck in your recovery sweetheart. Life is too short to deny yourself that wonderful slice of pizza
    “A Wizard is never late! He arrives precisely when he means to!”
    Chin>Neck>SL>BSL>WL>HL>BCL>TBL>Classic>Upper Thigh
    I was the only one who wasn’t King Fu Fighting.

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by archaic View Post
    I'm currently recovering from an eating disorder. The shedding has gotten a lot lesser and I see lots of regrowth! I would like to know if it's possible for recovering anorexics to recover their thick hair back as well. If you have recovered your hair after anorexia, please post your experience, and if you don't mind as well, a picture of your lovely hair! It'll really motivate me to recover. Thank you!
    I was borderline anorexic as a 16/17 year old. My mom almost took me to the doctor, but I got a grip and changed my ways. Threatening to have to go see someone was enough for me. Thank God! I mean... It could have been a lot worse. I did lose thickness in my hair, though as a lot just up and fell out when my weight dropped. I didn't have my menstruation for a month, and that was when my mom said, you are going to the doctor if this doesn't change. She kept a hawk eye on my period, as you would do with any teen.

Your hair will grow back as soon as you start eating normally again (and keep it up, otherwise it's just not going to work).
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    2"/WL/hip
    Type
    4c/F/iii

I've never had an eating disorder but I've been very underweight before, and it took a while to recover by putting on weight (I don't gain weight easily). It may be encouraging to you that I am still "underweight", just not to the extent that it affects my health, and my hair is doing great. You don't need to be in the "normal weight" category to feel better and have nice hair.

However I don't know how long it took my hair to recover because, my health was already restored long before I thought of growing my hair. Or maybe I actually thought of growing my hair because my health was better?! If you're asking about thick hair, my hair is thick now after being thin most of my life and it's growing fast too, so don't worry, you'll get there. What I do to avoid getting too underweight is, I remember to eat 2-3 meals a day, and that excludes snacks. I also drink a lot more water, so you can try that maybe.
    Last edited by luxurioushair; January 4th, 2016 at 05:38 AM.
    Started: 13/11/2014.Elapsed
    Clrbn :: APL :: BSL+ ::MBL:: WAIST :: hip :: TBL
    Lady Sarah of the Invisible Warlands in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    WL/TBL/FTL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/iii

Hi, all! I am still in recovery from an eating disorder (for me, a symptom of anxiety and depression) that I've had for many years.

I recently had a terrible shed; holiday stress which resulted in never being hungry. I lost a few pounds but I am still above my lowest weight which is good. I was really bummed about the loss in thickness at first but I'm mostly over it now, I just have to remind myself that it's only temporary and it will grow back if I continue to take care of myself. I normally have a faster growth rate anyhow so I'm not too worried.

What's made a big difference for me in terms of shedding is taking a multivitamin every day. If I forget for a few months I'll noticeably shed more.

Length
    CL/BSL/WL
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

This thread is super important. I went to treatment a couple years ago. When I was actively participating in eating disorder behavior I didn't really see how much I was shedding. I also had blonde hair so my scalp wasn't as obvious. I think I was so wrapped up in other things that I didn't really care about it at the time. When I started to pick up the pieces, I was devastated at the amount of hair that I had lost. Often times we don't hear about how much the additional issues anorexia and bulimia leave behind. Hair loss is so psychologically traumatic. I had such thick hair as a teenager, it had never been this fine and sparse. It's been a long road to recovering lost hair but don't let that discourage you! I take a ton of vitamins. Here's what I take:
    -Biotin
    -Vitamin D
    -Biosil
    -Probiotics
    -Magnesium

I'm no doctor, but it seems to be helping. I know vitamins are expensive, but Walgreens usually has them BOGO. I've slowly amassed my collection that way. A few other things that seem to be helping are:
    -running 3 times a week
    -lots of water
    -twice a week scalp massages with coconut and essential oils(I posted the recipe in the shedding thread)
    -being very gentle with my hair

I've also heard the Aveda Invanti line has been pretty successful in slowing shedding and encouraging re-growth. There are also a lot of tips in the shedding thread. Again, try not to get discouraged. It may take a while but it will come back.

Length
    Pixie/18"/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I've gained weight very slowly, and I'm now noticing regrowth. I started working as a restaurant manager at a buffet (crazy, right?!) and I eat lots of veggies, fruit, and good proteins. In addition to taking vit d3 and biotin, I also am drinking more water and using a CoWash with coconut oil and castor oil. It has been a long, slow process, but with results after 8 months, I'm ecstatic.

At my worst, my crown showed through and my intestine ended up telescoping in on itself resulting in abdominal surgery for intussusception (google it...incredibly painful). That won't happen to everyone, I just had congenital adhesions and combined with AN, I was apparently a ticking time bomb. Surgery fixed my duodenum, but that was 2.5 years ago. It was a long battle.

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your reply! My shedding has reduced by a substantial amount and my period returned. I'm so grateful and thankful, but I'm also very sorry because all of you had to go through a similar experience like I did as well. I know how hard it can be watching your hair shed without being able to do anything. Biotin really helped me too! I wish the best for all of you and hopefully all of us would be able to recover all of our hair back!

Sending all my positive vibes to all of you!!

Quote Originally Posted by beefox View Post
    This thread is super important. I went to treatment a couple years ago. When I was actively participating in eating disorder behavior I didn't really see how much I was shedding. I also had blonde hair so my scalp wasn't as obvious. I think I was so wrapped up in other things that I didn't really care about it at the time. When I started to pick up the pieces, I was devastated at the amount of hair that I had lost. Often times we don't hear about how much the additional issues anorexia and bulimia leave behind. Hair loss is so psychologically traumatic. I had such thick hair as a teenager, it had never been this fine and sparse. It's been a long road to recovering lost hair but don't let that discourage you! I take a ton of vitamins. Here's what I take:
    -Biotin
    -Vitamin D
    -Biosil
    -Probiotics
    -Magnesium

I'm no doctor, but it seems to be helping. I know vitamins are expensive, but Walgreens usually has them BOGO. I've slowly amassed my collection that way. A few other things that seem to be helping are:
    -running 3 times a week
    -lots of water
    -twice a week scalp massages with coconut and essential oils(I posted the recipe in the shedding thread)
    -being very gentle with my hair

I've also heard the Aveda Invanti line has been pretty successful in slowing shedding and encouraging re-growth. There are also a lot of tips in the shedding thread. Again, try not to get discouraged. It may take a while but it will come back.
    I'm sorry you had to go through such a terrible experience. I know how it feels! I'm glad your hair is recovering now. Does running really help? I really love running but I've stopped running after my eating disorder as I've heard that running will cause you to lose weight and this might lead to losing hair... again Not sure if it actually does shed more hair, but hopefully not for you If running does not shed hair and actually works to promote hair, I'll start running again! I'm so excited Thank you for all your tips!