Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help needed for extremely dry hair, oil & protein does NOTHING for it.

Type
    2a/2b/F/M/i/ii

Angry Help needed for extremely dry hair, oil & protein does NOTHING for it.

Hello! I have been lurking around here for a while & would really appreciate some help. I've tried reading numerous guides & reviews all over the internet but I can't seem to find a routine that helps my hair. I'm feeling incredibly lost & unsure about what to do. I live in Australia & certain products that people use on this site are ridiculously expensive over here (Senna/neutral henna for example) will cost me at least $8-10 AUD per 100g.
    I don't mind paying up to $150AUD for two bottles of high quality shampoo/conditioner if they genuinely will help my hair type. Unfortunately, in the past the cost of a product rarely equates to better results.

I've tried so many different methods, many that I can't even remember. Things that don't work for me include:

- OIL or any kind of oil treatment. This includes olive oil, argan oil, avocado oil, castor oil & ESPECIALLY COCONUT OIL. Which is the bane of my hair existence. It makes my blood boil thinking about all the guides on the internet that call it a holy grail. These oils manage to make my hair oily & dry at the same time. Even if I pre oil my hair prior to washing it, it still doesn't work. Tried hot oil treatments, leaving it in over night etc. etc. Tried all the methods, it just doesn't want to happen.

- Redken all soft, again nothing.

- Egg/avocado/apple cider vinegar/ whatever pinterest guide you can find... make it worse as well (unless the egg is in henna - the only exception)

- Pretty much every supermarket brand for hair product marketed for dry hair. This includes those treatment tubs and sprays etc. except SOME tresemme products.

Things that do work

- Henna but only until it is washed out after a few days. Can't really henna my hair all the time as I don't want my colour to deepen or go darker. Makes my hair much more manageable and silky.

- I understand this product is probably a no-no on this forum but Tresemme Moisture Rich conditioner - although it makes my hair decent for 24 hours. After that it becomes dry, itchy and brittle again. This product also creates a lot of build up, therefore it damages my hair from excessive shampooing.

- Countless supermarket hair treatments which do nothing but make it worse

- SENNA/NEUTRAL henna worked amazingly for my hair! So much that I would be willing to use it in my hair every 2-3 days. However, living in Australia it is SO EXPENSIVE. That would mean I would have to pay $8-$10 per treatment...Which would be around $24-$30 a week. Annoying. Tried to find websites that sell in bulk but not having much luck. If I have to, I obviously will pay for it. Just wanted to see if there was a cheaper alternative.

If anyone has the same reaction to products as myself, please help me. I'm sure others on here have posted something similar to myself so I apologise for a repeat thread. I hate my hair so much.

Type
    2a/2b/F/M/i/ii

Default Re: Help needed for extremely dry hair, oil & protein does NOTHING for it.

Oh my, just saw a mistake. Not sure how to edit that post. ugh, oops. Accidentally put "- Countless supermarket hair treatments which do nothing but make it worse" in the wrong section. How does one do that? Ugh, it's late over here and brain no work right now.

Length
    CBL/31/Hip
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

Default Re: Help needed for extremely dry hair, oil & protein does NOTHING for it.

It looks like you need straight up moisture, and oils/proteins don't provide that. Oils can only seal in what's already there, otherwise you're essentially creating a barrier from moisture moving in or out. Try doing an SMT on DAMP hair. I recommend not heating the mixture--instead, apply at room temp, then wrap hair in plastic and cover the plastic with a warm, damp towel. Let sit for 45 minutes to an hour.

(ETA: You will be able to edit your posts once you reach 25+ posts.)
    Last edited by -Fern; January 1st, 2016 at 09:04 AM.
    Onwards.

26-BSL-28-29-WL-31-32-HL

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Everything Fern said, but before you put the SMT in, clarify your hair first with a strong sulfate filled shampoo. Get any residual gunk off so the moisture can absorb well. (Besides, then it'll be damp.)

P.S. There's an SMT link in my signature.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Have you tried the SMT or adding honey to conditioner/oil mixes? If your hair responds well to humectants, playing with honey, glycerin, aloe... might be a good idea.

Can you describe, give some background on that dryness you are experiencing?
    When/how did your hair get dry?
    If it's something seasonal (winter dryness, for example), humidifiers and doing a mini LOC can help.
    If it's product build-up (it very often feels like dryness), then obviously thorough clarifying (sometimes a few times!) is needed.
    If it's mineral build-up from hard water, then chelate with a swimmers/chelating shampoo.

Length
    Pixie/1"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

You hair sounds like mine. I can't use coconut oil or protein of any kind or I get dry, brittle hair. Have you clarified with a cone/protein free shampoo? Not sure if you can get it in AUS but suave daily clarifying shampoo is cheap and works really well.
    I would clarify then do a SMT with a conditioner you know your hair likes. Nothing wrong with tresemme as long as it doesn't contain ingredients your hair doesn't like. Since you need extra moisture, you might check conditioners made for curly hair just stay away from proteins, keratin and coconut.
    Letting the sparkles grow

Type
    2a/2b/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by -Fern View Post
    It looks like you need straight up moisture, and oils/proteins don't provide that. Oils can only seal in what's already there, otherwise you're essentially creating a barrier from moisture moving in or out. Try doing an SMT on DAMP hair. I recommend not heating the mixture--instead, apply at room temp, then wrap hair in plastic and cover the plastic with a warm, damp towel. Let sit for 45 minutes to an hour.

(ETA: You will be able to edit your posts once you reach 25+ posts.)
    Thank you! I saw the SMT thread a while back but had trouble finding a conditioner available in Australia that I haven't already tried. So hard finding a decent hair conditioner, my expectations aren't particularly high either. Tricky finding one to use for the treatment that would work with my hair type. Also finding alcohol free clear aloe gel in australia/or ships over here. Ugh. Shopping over here is the worst. We have so little choice in what we can purchase. I will most definitely give this a go when I find the products on the SMT list, I really hope it works otherwise all hope is lost.

Thank you for your suggestion & help with post editing! It is much appreciated

Length
    SL/TBL/CL
    Type
    3a/3b/F/M/ii

Yikes. If I were you, I would discontinue the use of all protein treatments. So coconut oil, egg treatments, anything with protein. You could be having a protein overload. This causes extreme dryness. Too much protein also breaks the hair off. I'm talking, immediate breakage and irreversible damage. You really have to be careful with protein.

I would recommend a natural line (I use Aveda) and perhaps a moisturizing treatment. Also try co-washing for a couple of weeks. I personally can't stick to it (I have to shampoo at least once a week), but if my hair is feeling drier than usual - I co-wash until it feels moisturized again.

Photo: 2017 / Current TBL - Growing to terminal

Type
    2a/2b/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    You hair sounds like mine. I can't use coconut oil or protein of any kind or I get dry, brittle hair. Have you clarified with a cone/protein free shampoo? Not sure if you can get it in AUS but suave daily clarifying shampoo is cheap and works really well.
    I would clarify then do a SMT with a conditioner you know your hair likes. Nothing wrong with tresemme as long as it doesn't contain ingredients your hair doesn't like. Since you need extra moisture, you might check conditioners made for curly hair just stay away from proteins, keratin and coconut.

Thank you for your post! Yes, I was using the pantene ice shine shampoo only. Then tresemme conditioner. I think the ice shine is cone/protein free...I believe. Heard others were using it as a clarifying shampoo but I'll give the suave daily clarifying one if I can find it I don't mind paying a lot for something that works. I'll keep what you said in mind!

Type
    2a/2b/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by meteor View Post
    Have you tried the SMT or adding honey to conditioner/oil mixes? If your hair responds well to humectants, playing with honey, glycerin, aloe... might be a good idea.

Can you describe, give some background on that dryness you are experiencing?
    When/how did your hair get dry?
    If it's something seasonal (winter dryness, for example), humidifiers and doing a mini LOC can help.
    If it's product build-up (it very often feels like dryness), then obviously thorough clarifying (sometimes a few times!) is needed.
    If it's mineral build-up from hard water, then chelate with a swimmers/chelating shampoo.
    My hair has always been quite dry since hitting puberty (around 12-13). Before that it was silky & fine. Once I had my period, it went to hell. Frizzy, boofy and dry. It's like this all year long and worse in the winter. I make sure there isn't product buildup in my hair from using clarifying shampoos but nothing seems to moisturise it but henna & senna. It could potentially be a mineral build up - not sure what the water is like in melbourne, australia. I should definitely look into that a bit further, didn't even cross my mind. Thank you!