Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Impossibly Dry Hair

Type
    2b/2c/C/iii

Default Impossibly Dry Hair

Hello! I'm a newbie here, but I've done a lot of research on the forums. Unfortunately, I have been unable to solve my hair problems on my own and would like some personalized advice.

That was then:
    About two years ago, I had beautiful waist length hair that I didn't fully appreciate. I was having severe bacne and chestne issues that I knew was related to my hair habits (conditioner in particular). I decided to get my hair cut to bsl to alleviate these issues. I have had one-length hair my entire life, and didn't ask for layers, but the hair dresser gave me "The Rachel" - shoulder-length layered hair without regards to my initial requests.

This made my thick, curly hair look terribly thin and triangular. I eventually grew it out to apl and cut it back to one length because I couldn't stand the uneven, flippy layers. On top of that, I learned that hair length had nothing to do with my bacne and chestne issues. After lots of research, I learned that the panthenol in my hair products (and silicones) were likely the trigger.

This is now:
    I am currently approximately two inches away from bsl and hope to grow it out to waist length. I have impossibly dry, poofy hair that will not look moisturized no matter what I do with it. I haven't used heat in the past 3 months. I do not believe that I have damage because I do not see split ends and my hemline is still blunt. My hair absolutely hates anything with protein in it. Protein makes my hair felt wiry and strange. Each hair strand looks twice its normal size.

I changed up my routine to this:
    WCC 3X per week (I would go longer, but my hair seems to absorb smells very quickly. For example, if I go for a walk, my hair will have that "air" smell. Does this happen to anyone else?)
    -Burt's Bees More Moisture Shampoo (SLS Free)
    -Renpure Originals Argan Oil Luxurious Conditioner

Leave-ins:
    -Macademia Oil Nourishing Leave-In Cream
    -Coney Serum

I have tried clarifying and following up with an SMT. I also tried MO oil as a leave-in and as an oil rinse, but it makes my hair feel stiff and crunchy.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    bald/Hip:)/termi
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

Default Re: Impossibly Dry Hair

Did you use heat on all of your length? If so, you probably still have the damage you got 3 months back. If you cut the damaged hair out, then you wouldn't have the damaged hair to deal with. Heat styling causes damage, that's just how it works.

ETA:3 months of hair growth would be about 1 1/2 inches of hair. You have curls so maybe you might benefit from CO washing or the Curly Girl Method.
    Last edited by gthlvrmx; November 13th, 2015 at 08:08 PM. Reason: eta

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

What happens if you skip the silicone serum? That stuff drys out my hair -- I think it's the volatile silicones. I also don't have luck with mineral oil, but coconut oil is OK and olive oil makes my hair feel very soft and moisturized. Olive oil is especially good at making my hair look oily and stringy too if I use even slightly too much, but in braided hair the day before a wash it's pretty easy to disguise.
    Last edited by Anje; November 13th, 2015 at 08:25 PM.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Type
    2b/2c/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by gthlvrmx View Post
    Did you use heat on all of your length? If so, you probably still have the damage you got 3 months back. If you cut the damaged hair out, then you wouldn't have the damaged hair to deal with. Heat styling causes damage, that's just how it works.

ETA:3 months of hair growth would be about 1 1/2 inches of hair. You have curls so maybe you might benefit from CO washing or the Curly Girl Method.
    Thank you, gthlvrmx! I did use heat infrequently on my length (blow-drier with round brush) probably 3 times a month or so when I could be bothered. I don't believe that my hair is extensively heat damaged to warrant a large chop. I have tried CO washing twice in the past and didn't like it. I tried VO5 and Suave conditioners (that had panthenol) and my skin didn't like that. My scalp never felt clean no matter how much I took care to massage the conditioner into my scalp with the pads of my fingers or how long I rinsed afterwards. It also caused my curls to look wonky.

Type
    2b/2c/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Anje View Post
    What happens if you skip the silicone serum? That stuff drys out my hair -- I think it's the volatile silicones. I also don't have luck with mineral oil, but coconut oil is OK and olive oil makes my hair feel very soft and moisturized. Olive oil is especially good at making my hair look oily and stringy too if I use even slightly too much, but in braided hair the day before a wash it's pretty easy to disguise.
    When I am lazy and skip any leave-in products my hair seems to be a bit better, now that you mention it, Anje. Would you recommend avoiding silicone in my conditioner as well? I'm afraid of using coconut oil because I know that it is comedogenic (I also live in a cold climate ... I have a friend that had it solidify in her hair once :P), but olive oil is something that I have never thought to use (I believe it is low on the comedogenic scale). Do you have luck using it post-shower in damp hair or only as an overnight pre-wash? Thank you so much, I will try it before my next wash!

Type
    2a/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
    When I am lazy and skip any leave-in products my hair seems to be a bit better, now that you mention it, Anje. Would you recommend avoiding silicone in my conditioner as well? I'm afraid of using coconut oil because I know that it is comedogenic (I also live in a cold climate ... I have a friend that had it solidify in her hair once :P), but olive oil is something that I have never thought to use (I believe it is low on the comedogenic scale). Do you have luck using it post-shower in damp hair or only as an overnight pre-wash? Thank you so much, I will try it before my next wash!
    Olive oil is by far my favorite oil. I have acne issues as well (face, back and chest. Lucky me lol) and I do not find it makes it worst at all. I use a drop or two of olive oil every morning before I detangle and put it up for the day. It doesn't make my hair greasy at all, but YMMV. My hair soaks up oil (particularly, olive oil) like dry leather

I bought a small glass bottle with a little dropper top to store my olive oil in. It makes me feel fancy and it allows me to really control how much I'm pouring.

BSL: Made it!Off to Waist!

Type
    2b/2c/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Nadine <3 View Post
    Olive oil is by far my favorite oil. I have acne issues as well (face, back and chest. Lucky me lol) and I do not find it makes it worst at all. I use a drop or two of olive oil every morning before I detangle and put it up for the day. It doesn't make my hair greasy at all, but YMMV. My hair soaks up oil (particularly, olive oil) like dry leather

I bought a small glass bottle with a little dropper top to store my olive oil in. It makes me feel fancy and it allows me to really control how much I'm pouring.

Wow, thanks so much, Nadine. It's good to hear confirmation that olive oil likely won't cause my skin to go crazy! The glass bottle dropper idea sounds lovely, did you purchase yours online? I don't think that I've seen those anywhere.

Type
    2a/F/i

Yup, I ordered mine from Amazon!
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o05_s00

I've seen them for sale in health food stores too

BSL: Made it!Off to Waist!

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
    I generally prefer doing a post-shower damp-hair oiling, partly because it makes tangles fall out for me, and partly because I've never noticed a particular benefit to my hair from pre-wash oiling. (Doesn't mean you can't try both! It just means that in my experimentation, my hair isn't impressed by it.) Oh, on a whim, I really like sesame oil, and it was recommended to me by someone with about the same hairtype as you. If you try that, look for the light-colored kind, not the flavoring oil, unless you don't mind smelling like food all day.

As far as conditioners go, I personally avoid things that have straight dimethicone and the volatile silicones (cyclomethicone, cyclopentasiloxane, etc.) in them for the same reason I avoid it in serums. I find I don't have any problems using conditioners with amine-functionalized silicones like amodimethicone and bis-aminopropyldimethicone. Herbal Essences Hello Hydration and Long Term Relationship are both very nice for moisturizing and containing only silicones that I like.

One last thing to try: After you rinse the conditioner out of your hair, it might be worth clipping it up and soaping up your chest and back to get any conditioner residue off. I've switched to that whenever I notice that I'm having body acne issues, which come and go for me.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    CBL/24/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

It may be that silicones are not good for your hair, I know for me they build up very quickly, and leave my hair much drier, so I have a tendency to avoid them, except an argon oil serum that I occasional use when I want to wear my hair down, since it gives slip and prevents tangles. I generally like to use a small amount of coconut oil as a leave in.

Lady Amethyst Rosevyn, Kynd Sempstress of the Land of Frosted Woodlands
    Wishing the burgundy henna would have stayed! Now growing out bleached henna...
    Just Brushing BSL Hoping for Waist wavy by end of 2017