Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you measure your hair yourself??

Default Do you measure your hair yourself??

Just wondering if anybody manages to successfully measure your hair yourself or if you have to have someone else do it? I like to measure monthly but I feel like others think I am crazy when I mention it. So any tips on measuring accurately on oneself??

Length
    14.5/31/?
    Type
    1c/C/iii

Default Re: Do you measure your hair yourself??

I measure myself because I am embarrassed that I do it. But I ask my husband to re-check it sometimes just to make sure I'm doing it right and getting accurate readings.

Length
    16"?/29"/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Yes I do. I chose not to share the fact that I measure my hair with anyone in real life. I use a narrow plastic roll up tape. I put the beginning mark at my front hairline and run it up and over the top of my head where I'd make a center part. I let it go down the back, grasping the tape along with my hair and kind of do that hand over hand down to the ends. I've also tried measuring from the bottom up but I couldn't quite get the hang of it. I also measure several times. I do it with clean, dry hair. I think consistency is the key. Do it the same way and with the same tape each time you measure. The point of measuring is to determine monthly/quarterly/yearly growth rates. It's not a race to the finish line.

I am not here to decorate your world

Length
    46"/50"/Term.
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

I do it pretty much the same way as Carolyn. I let the tape hang down with my hair, grab my hair and the tape together, usually somewhere around my waist, and then pull it around in front of me where I can see it, being careful to not let the tape slip.

I'm not very picky about it, though, as I have a good bit of taper and there isn't all that much hair to speak of anyway in my last few inches of length. I'm more or less terminal, so I just measure every once in a while out of curiosity.

Length
    19"/31"/hip
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I tried myself before getting up the nerve to ask my mum to measure. My hair is about BSL so I would drape it over my head (a soft measuring tape, like used in sewing) then reach backwards and grab where I felt the hair ended. Then I'd just take the measuring tape off my head and see where I was holding it. It was accurate to within about an inch.

If you have a mirror you can see your back in, it helps a ton.
    Lady Enyo of the Brave Victory in the Order of the Longhaired Knights

Curls & Kinks Galore! nappywomyn's Avatar
    Length
    bald/17/38
    Type
    4b/F/M/ii/iii

I've finally broken down and asked DH to help me measure my hair. It's too short and too curly for me to measure accurately on my own, right now.

{~*~} Nappydelphia (updated!) {~*~} Official Bibliodragon {*}

Length
    18"/TLB/TERM
    Type
    1b/M/i

I have my mom measure it on (or around) the 19th of every month. I *can* do it myself, but I think it's more acurate if she does it every time. She doesn't think it's weird, she just goes along with it. I use the same tape and usually measure after washing when it's fully dry.
    Mini goals: Classic ~ 43" ....Longer??
    Lady Cærphilly of the Twining Ivy in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Void Where Prohibited ole gray mare's Avatar
    Length
    apl/hip/tb
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Yes, I do it myself. I clip a fabric measuring tape to the front of my hair with a small jaw clip. Then I turn around and do the two mirror method so I can see the back. I don't do it very frequently anymore. I was pretty regular about measuring it monthly when I first started at this board. But not so much now...maybe every 4-5 months.
    ~Princess Goblin~
    This illustration perfectly captures how I spend dream time with my Lily

I only look confused. Arctic_Mama's Avatar
    Length
    Shldr/Waist/Knee
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii/iii

Yes, the only way I can get an accurate measurement is to clip it in the front, if I try to hold and measure my hair is just not at a decent length for my to get a proper reading. It's just a little too short. If it's longer then BSL it's easy, or shorter than shoulder... anything in between and I do better with hubby measuring.
    The hair is the richest ornament of women. - Martin Luther
    Goal: Virgin knee length

Length
    Short/IDK/Hip
    Type
    4b/F/M/ii

Yup. No one is allowed to touch my hair for any reason. Since I don't measure in inches, I just pull my hair down and turn the self-timer on on the camera.
    IMHO, one can never have too much conditioner. ~Proverb from a PJ~
    Lady Bey of Twilight Cloud in the Order of the LongHaired Knights