Page 64 of 66 FirstFirst ... 14546263646566 LastLast

Thread: Fermented Rice Water

Length
    short/hip/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Default Re: Fermented Rice Water

Quote Originally Posted by sapphire-o View Post
    They didn't mention fermenting? I thought that's the most important part.

I let my rice rinse water (we eat the rice so only rinse water is used, zero waste. ) sit for 2 - 3 days, then store in the fridge. It will last another week or so before the smell is a bit off. I always rinse it out completely. Otherwise I can get zits on my scalp.
    That's true, sapphire-o. I skimmed it, so I missed that. Thank you for pointing that out.

Lady Neoma, Defender of Creatures Great and Small

Length
    Bald/APL/TERM
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Been experimenting with this since I started (around February or so?)
    Anyway, I've been throwing green tea in to seep when I make my FRW. Not sure if it helps, but I've heard so much about caffeine and hair growth, I figured it couldn't hurt.
    08.1.2020-Bald
    “Her messy hair is a visible attribute of her stubborn spirit. As she shakes it free, she smiles knowing wild is her favorite color” (J. Iron Word)

Length
    SL/WL/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii

I was planning to make rice today - looks like I know what I'll be doing with my leftover rinse/soak water. There's fresh rosemary growing in the yard too.... OOooooh it's time to go concoct hair things in the kitchen

Length
    SL/WL/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Nox_Inber View Post
    I was planning to make rice today - looks like I know what I'll be doing with my leftover rinse/soak water. There's fresh rosemary growing in the yard too.... OOooooh it's time to go concoct hair things in the kitchen
    I left the mixture on my head for an hour, washed it out then double conditioned. My hair felt great when I got out of the shower but when I woke up in the morning it was soooo dry. My dry, damaged ends absolutely hated it. This was also with a deep conditioning the day before. Sigh it was worth a try but I don't think this is for me.

Length
    13/37/32
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Nox_Inber View Post
    I left the mixture on my head for an hour, washed it out then double conditioned. My hair felt great when I got out of the shower but when I woke up in the morning it was soooo dry. My dry, damaged ends absolutely hated it. This was also with a deep conditioning the day before. Sigh it was worth a try but I don't think this is for me.
    Did you let it ferment for a couple days until it's sour? I think the acidity helps hair feel smooth and shiny. When I tried just rice water my hair felt kinda rough, too.

I've been using it for over three months now. Can't say if it helps with growth or not, but my hair feels stronger somehow. My updos stay longer. I plan to use it for 6 months or until I run out of rice.

Length
    SL/WL/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii

Did you let it ferment for a couple days until it's sour? I think the acidity helps hair feel smooth and shiny. When I tried just rice water my hair felt kinda rough, too.

I've been using it for over three months now. Can't say if it helps with growth or not, but my hair feels stronger somehow. My updos stay longer. I plan to use it for 6 months or until I run out of rice.
    I let it sit for about 24 hours. It had a...hmm, smell to it? Probably just rice smell lol. I doubt it fermented enough in that time frame so that could be where my troubles are coming from. I'm out of cooked rice so I might try another batch soon and let it sit longer.

Are you using brown or white rice? It sounds like it's been doing well for you!

Length
    13/37/32
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Oh we just have white rice, usually the Calrose kind. I think they come with plenty of bacteria on them. The sour smell is pleasant and kinda like yogurt. I tried Jasmine rice once and it just sat there for days without going sour. Maybe it's too clean.

Length
    short/hip/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Oh we just have white rice, usually the Calrose kind. I think they come with plenty of bacteria on them. The sour smell is pleasant and kinda like yogurt. I tried Jasmine rice once and it just sat there for days without going sour. Maybe it's too clean.
    I like the fragrance, too, sapphire-o. I add a few drops of peppermint oil to mine. That ricey fermented fragrance mixed with peppermint is soft and lovely.

Lady Neoma, Defender of Creatures Great and Small

Length
    29"/35/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

Is there any way to speed up fermentation. I want to wash my hair before church on Sunday. I won't have time to do a rice water rinse that morning so I'll have to do it by Saturday night. I made the water on Wednesday but it's not sour yet. My basement is fairly cool which doesn't help. Is there a way to speed it up so it's ready for my Saturday night wash?
    Lady Meikyo of the Cerise Blade

Length
    Bald/APL/TERM
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty89 View Post
    Is there any way to speed up fermentation. I want to wash my hair before church on Sunday. I won't have time to do a rice water rinse that morning so I'll have to do it by Saturday night. I made the water on Wednesday but it's not sour yet. My basement is fairly cool which doesn't help. Is there a way to speed it up so it's ready for my Saturday night wash?
    Honestly, I do three day rice water rinses all the time. Seems to work out okay for me, so I'd say just do it when you need to.
    08.1.2020-Bald
    “Her messy hair is a visible attribute of her stubborn spirit. As she shakes it free, she smiles knowing wild is her favorite color” (J. Iron Word)