Page 60 of 64 FirstFirst ... 10505859606162 ... LastLast

Thread: Fermented Rice Water

Length
    16/32.5/50
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/iii

Default Re: Fermented Rice Water

You have to remember that the lack of grey hair and the length of the hair probably owes more to the genetics of this small area then to the fermented rice water. They also rinse their hair very well in a lot of running clean river water.
    I've seen people trying this, doing it incorrectly , and then blaming the rice water.
    It is going to put a lot of protein in your hair, so if your hair does not like protein it won't help it, it will hurt it.
    My hair doesn't seem to mind protein, so I'm trying it. I'm doing it their way - which is...
    1 rinse rice, throw away that water
    2 wash rice, rubbing between fingers, strain and use that water.
    3 add rind from - citrus, I use grapefruit
    4 bring to the boil, let cool, add a few drops of essential oil
    5 put in bottles, let ferment from 1 week to 3 months

Then to use

1 bending forward, pour the fermented rice water over your head into a bowl
    2 scrub your head, using more of the fermented rice water as needed
    3 lightly squeeze out your hair
    4 put it up, wrapping it around your head but not covering it
    5 leave 20 minutes, rinse with a lot of water (our water is good so I just use tap water) and get it all out of your hair
    6 air dry, using your fingers and a wide tooth comb to separate and smooth hair as it dries

What I've noticed

It wasn't as deadly to comb out without conditioner as I thought. As I've only done it once I can't comment on the results yet, but I'm happy so far.

PS don't do it every day! They do it every 2 or 3 days in summer and once a week in winter.
    Last edited by LadyEliza; January 1st, 2021 at 05:26 PM. Reason: addition

Length
    16/32.5/50
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/iii

Update on the rice water. One thing that surprised me is that it actually does get my scalp clean. I was a bit worried that I would have to resort to shampoo first to get it clean. Nope - hair is rinsed out and clean after the rice wash with nothing else needed!
    Secondly - omg it smells after it is fermented. But if you can get past that it seems to be worth it. The smell doesn't remain, and once it's rinsed and dried it smells fresh and nice.
    People are commenting on the shine in my salt and pepper hair. I will continue for another month and report again.

Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Holy moly LadyEliza, so shiny and beautiful! I definitely need to try your recipe

Length
    10"/12"/30"
    Type
    2a/M/i/ii

Iíve done this, I literally just wash the raw rice in cold water and use the cloudy white water from the washing and let it ferment for like 2 days. Then I use it and it worked great!!

Length
    13/31/32
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I've been doing this for three weeks now. My hair didn't feel much difference because it's already smooth and shiny. However I think it IS growing faster. I have a bunch of tiny little hairs around the fringe that seem to be longer now. I guess I'll keep this up long enough to see if there's a measurable difference. It doesn't cost anything, we eat rice often anyway.

Length
    ?/WL/FTL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Love seeing progress using this method. I was going to try this after WO but went SO instead.

LadyEliza your hair is beautiful, what a shine.

Everyone comments on the smell - nothing can be as bad a apple cider vinegar, surely?!
    No Water Sebum Only since November 2020. Previously water only. Crossed to the dark side and now rocking sebum only. Feral hair nirvana loading...

Length
    29"/34/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by sapphire-o View Post
    I've been doing this for three weeks now. My hair didn't feel much difference because it's already smooth and shiny. However I think it IS growing faster. I have a bunch of tiny little hairs around the fringe that seem to be longer now. I guess I'll keep this up long enough to see if there's a measurable difference. It doesn't cost anything, we eat rice often anyway.
    Do you do it once a week? I don't know if I could do it that often since it acts a bit like protein on my hair. I wonder if it depends on hairtype.
    Lady Meikyo of the Cerise Blade

Well, I finally tried this the other day...I’d been wanting to give it a go for a while, but never bothered to save my rice water. So, this time I did. I made it straight, no additives like peel or EOs, just took the rice rinse water and left it in a covered jug in an un-conditioned room for 3 days.

My thoughts is that it smelled a bit like some of the fermented Japanese foods that you can get (kinda like natto but not so strong). I left it on for about 20 minutes before rinsing it out. I thought the smell was still a little strong still, so I then used the Garnier macadamia hair food as a mask for 5-10 mins. Hubby said my hair smelled nice and I think my hair’s the softest it’s ever been.

Definite win on the FRW for me, and I plan to try it again sometime, next time with some rosemary, I think.
    Last edited by PeonyBlue; January 25th, 2021 at 11:19 PM.
    Letting my hair do whatever it wants to do!

Length
    21/25/45
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

Does this work with boil in a bag rice? That's all I have in my cupboard
    CL ~ SL ~ APL ~ BSL ~ MBL ~ WL ~ HL ~ TBL ~ Classic
    No trim & no bleach from 11/10/2020

Length
    13/31/32
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty89 View Post
    Do you do it once a week? I don't know if I could do it that often since it acts a bit like protein on my hair. I wonder if it depends on hairtype.
    I use it about twice a week. I didn't know rice has much protein. The one we have is quite starchy. My hair feels a bit stiffer but that doesn't bother me.