Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Coca cola rinse

WTH?!

It apparently exists:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a5wCEEagmw
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    WL/TBL/FTL?
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Default Re: Coca cola rinse

I think coca cola disolves calcium if I knew well and it's used in washing car pieces as well. I wouldn't let that touch my hair nor I'd drink it

Length
    Pixie/TBL/???
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

I assumed it would be for shine or something, because of the acid content of soda, but no, just waves for some reason. I would GUESS that it would be something about the sugar content making the hair wavier, the way salt does. I mean, we use sugar water as homemade hairspray around here anyway. If the hair gets scrunched or plopped and the sugar dries, it could give it a longer-lived wave than straight, limp hair would normally achieve.

Still, though, that sounds way too difficult and messy. I don't think I'd ever be that desperate for wave.
    Nique ~ Journeying from pixie in 2011 to who knows where

Pixie ~ Shoulder ~ APL ~ BSL ~ Waist ~ Hip ~ BCL ~ Tailbone ~ Classic ~ Fingertip ~ Knee?

Length
    Pixie/TBL/???
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by parkmikii View Post
    I think coca cola disolves calcium if I knew well and it's used in washing car pieces as well. I wouldn't let that touch my hair nor I'd drink it
    Your stomach acid is stronger than any cola on the market, and hair does prefer acid to basic conditions. I wouldn't worry about that, personally. I'd be more concerned with any natural yeasts and bacteria feasting on the sugar, such that SD and dandruff would probably flare up hugely. Also, as in the video, it goes everywhere on dry hair (which tends to repel water a little bit at first) and the sugar would get VERY sticky on your skin so you'd have to shower and undo most of any benefit in the end.
    Nique ~ Journeying from pixie in 2011 to who knows where

Pixie ~ Shoulder ~ APL ~ BSL ~ Waist ~ Hip ~ BCL ~ Tailbone ~ Classic ~ Fingertip ~ Knee?

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

I've definitely heard of it before.
    And beautykove did a review on it recently here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJQOYIGpZLk

I have no idea if it works, but I bet the humectant properties of sugar and the relatively low pH value have something to do with this.

And what about carbonation? I keep hearing that carbonated water, club soda are good for cleansing (especially for removing mineral build-up) and even anti-frizz action, but I've never looked into the specific chemical reactions behind it and the effect on hair... Does anybody know or have any good links to support/debunk this?

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Nique1202 View Post
    I assumed it would be for shine or something, because of the acid content of soda, but no, just waves for some reason. I would GUESS that it would be something about the sugar content making the hair wavier, the way salt does. I mean, we use sugar water as homemade hairspray around here anyway. If the hair gets scrunched or plopped and the sugar dries, it could give it a longer-lived wave than straight, limp hair would normally achieve.

Still, though, that sounds way too difficult and messy. I don't think I'd ever be that desperate for wave.
    ^ Oh yes, great point! I think from that perspective, sugary water or coconut water or honey water rinses have something in common there, in terms of hold. The concentration of sugar, the pH and the mineral content of the water are likely to be the important factors there.

I would also worry about potentially staining light-colored hair temporarily with colorants in Coca Cola...
    Last edited by meteor; October 21st, 2015 at 01:10 PM.

just here for the cheese
    Length
    BSL/HL/???
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Yes, I saw this on beautyklove's channel and shuddered. Noooo thank you!

edit: after watching, it appears her sister washed the cola out of her hair with water and shampoo... Not sure if this would get rid of all effects.
    Last edited by MsPharaohMoan; October 21st, 2015 at 01:56 PM.
    With one religion, we cannot listen. With one color, we cannot see.
    With one culture, we cannot feel. Without you we can't even remember.

Length
    2"/TBL/???
    Type
    4c/F/iii

I feel like some people will dump anything whatsoever into their hair, and then tell everybody it's the best thing evar for hair growth!

From beer to sulphur oil, there is nothing they won't try!
    Started: 13/11/2014.Elapsed
    MBL :: WAIST :: abyss :: hip:: TBL :: class
    Lady Sarah of the Invisible Warlands in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    1a/F/i

Saw this floating around tumblr and facebook, was wondering what you guys thought of it. Good to see some explanation behind it - but for me personally I wouldn't. As already stated above, so much sugar and other nasties in soda that I wouldn't want near my hair! so many other MUCH better food grade items you can put in your hair to give it body, shine, and waves.

Length
    20"/46"/?
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by luxurioushair View Post
    I feel like some people will dump anything whatsoever into their hair, and then tell everybody it's the best thing evar for hair growth!
    Aye, that's about right...