Results 1,191 to 1,200 of 1328

Thread: The Great Shed -- The Thinning Hair Support Thread

Length
    12/30"/38 "
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Default Re: The Great Shed -- The Thinning Hair Support Thread

Thanks Ylva.
    I wonder if combing out while loaded with conditioner would help with the stuck hairs? I comb mine out this way, (shampoo, then lots of conditioner added, combing out while the conditioner is in, and finally I rinse out the conditioner and add a dab conditioner again for a leave-in on the length). I find I get quite a few more shed hairs this way.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoeZ View Post
    Can anyone tell me how long a shed usually lasts? I've been shedding for about six weeks now - combfulls each time I comb (about twice a day) and I'm getting a little alarmed at the amounts. Prior to this I usually had about ten or so hairs at most coming out, and cant recall ever losing this much hair at one time. Of course, my hair was quite short for most of my life.

I also have a recently diagnosed hypoparathyroidism that also may be contributing, which is why I'm a little worried - I wouldn't be able to tell if it's a result of that condition or a normal shed. Anybody have experience with hypoparathyroid hair loss?

Thanks for any input.
    Hi ZoeZ. My mum had a problem with her parathyroid gland, I can’t remember now if it was over- or under- active. I seem to remember that vitamin D came into the equation somehow, either it was hard to absorb it, or it was over absorbed. A lack of vitamin D could be a factor in hair loss.

(I’ve just had s quick google - hair thinning can be a side effect of hypoparathyroidism. If you’ve just been diagnosed then hopefully treatment will help?)

I think my mum had hyperparathyroidism, she had the gland removed because it was causing a lot of problems. The operation was fine and the problems went away.

From memory, for anyone reading, parathyroid was nothing to do with the thyroid, it’s just situated next to the thyroid.

Length
    12/30"/38 "
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Hi Lady Stardust: yes, hair loss is sometimes a side effect of hypoparathyroidism - which is why I'm a little worried about the big shed I'm currently having. The odd thing is, it really just started a few weeks ago, and not when I was diagnosed in February of this year. This is why I'm not sure that it's related. I've never shed this much ever. I will be seeing my endocrinologist in a couple of weeks so I'll have more info then for those who may find it of interest.

Length
    12/30"/38 "
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

oops double post!
    Last edited by ZoeZ; October 17th, 2019 at 07:51 PM. Reason: double post

Length
    Hip/Hip+/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

I've started my spironolactone prescription now. I will be taking 50 mg for a week or two and then increasing it to 100 mg. It should take around 3 months to see results, so patience is required.

Thanks Ylva.
    I wonder if combing out while loaded with conditioner would help with the stuck hairs? I comb mine out this way, (shampoo, then lots of conditioner added, combing out while the conditioner is in, and finally I rinse out the conditioner and add a dab conditioner again for a leave-in on the length). I find I get quite a few more shed hairs this way.
    In case you didn't notice, my reply to you is on the previous page.
    Ósnjallr maðr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask;
    en elli gefr hánum engi frið, þótt hánum geirar gefi.

Instagram | Last.fm | Folk band | Acoustic metal duo | My links

Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Hi everyone, I think I belong here. I am experiencing what I guess is post partum hair loss. I had a miscarriage in August. Last week, I tried a castor oil and coconut oil scalp massage. I lost handsful of hair. I tried a castor oil and olive oil massage this morning, and I got the same result. I think the oil and massage are loosening hairs that were already going to come out. My hair is so thin now that my scalp is obviously visible all over my head. The last time this happened was three months after my daughter was born. It seems like I am prone to a lot of hair loss after pregnancy. I already had such thin hair that I would get random comments on it. 😑 Now I look balding. There is nothing to do but wait for regrowth now. I am knitting myself a cute headband in the meantime.

Length
    17,5/25/?
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Ylva View Post
    Today, I got my prescription as well as answers to my questions. I haven't picked up the prescription yet, but I got 6 x 30 pills of 50 mg. I will be taking 50 mg for a week or two, then increasing it to 75 or 100 mg.

The answer was as simple as it's not about the anti-androgenetic properties at all in my case but the estrogenic ones. They simply support the growth of new hair. She did, however, order me to take another blood test after about a month of starting the medication. The test will just contain salts and testosterone, just to make sure I don't actually have a hormonal imbalance that would cause the shed.
    Does that mean that this medication will make you hair grow back faster? Is it supposed to stop the shedding too?

I hope it will help and you won't get any nasty side effects!

Hi Lady Stardust: yes, hair loss is sometimes a side effect of hypoparathyroidism - which is why I'm a little worried about the big shed I'm currently having. The odd thing is, it really just started a few weeks ago, and not when I was diagnosed in February of this year. This is why I'm not sure that it's related. I've never shed this much ever. I will be seeing my endocrinologist in a couple of weeks so I'll have more info then for those who may find it of interest.
    Yes please, keep us posted about what your doctor says.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesmonster2 View Post
    Hi everyone, I think I belong here. I am experiencing what I guess is post partum hair loss. I had a miscarriage in August. Last week, I tried a castor oil and coconut oil scalp massage. I lost handsful of hair. I tried a castor oil and olive oil massage this morning, and I got the same result. I think the oil and massage are loosening hairs that were already going to come out. My hair is so thin now that my scalp is obviously visible all over my head. The last time this happened was three months after my daughter was born. It seems like I am prone to a lot of hair loss after pregnancy. I already had such thin hair that I would get random comments on it. 😑 Now I look balding. There is nothing to do but wait for regrowth now. I am knitting myself a cute headband in the meantime.
    I'm so sorry to hear about your miscarriage!
    I think some scalps can't tolerate oils at all, so oil treatments can make people shed without any other shedding issues. I'm not saying that's the case with you, but it might feel better to stay away oils in scalp...

I have now used the Ketoconazole shampoo three times, and my shedding has decreased significantly. I'm a bit baffled. Is it just a coincidence, or is thanks to Ketoconazole. And what's going on with my hair and scalp? My scalp has never showed any signs of anything, it just is. Well, it's dry, but it's never itchy or flaky or irritated. So I have always concentrated to my dry ends. Maybe my hair and scalp needs different things, but my scalp is never telling me anything, how I'm supposed to know?

Ketoconazole shampoo is super drying, I have done CWCC(C) with lots of leave ins and at least 2 of the C are heavy masks, and I have only used it on my scalp and it still drys out my ends.

I decided to buy the Cicamed shampoo too, I hope it won't be as drying as this one, I'm thinking about alternating them. And I have decided to add peppermint EO to my scalp care too.
    I have heard the mermaids singing... and I do think that they will sing to me...

Don't miss the LHC Book Club!

Length
    Hip/Hip+/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Suortuva View Post
    Does that mean that this medication will make you hair grow back faster? Is it supposed to stop the shedding too?

I hope it will help and you won't get any nasty side effects!
    Yes, it's supposed to aid in the growth of new hair. As far as I've understood, it would only stop the shedding in the case of alopecia but not telogen effluvium. So if the shedding is caused by excess androgens, it will do that, and if not, which is way more likely in my case, the TE will just run its course and the medication will boost my estrogen levels just a bit to help with new growth.

Thank you! So far I've experienced some dizziness and mild stomach pain. Nothing too bad. One evening I had to pee like every 5 minutes after taking the pill.

I'm very happy to hear the ketoconazole shampoo has helped you. That's amazing. I am as baffled as you are about your scalp, though. I'd imagine it would at least say something if something was wrong.

Length
    17,5/25/?
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Yesterday I tested the Cicamed shampoo, and it feel a bit gentler. However, my shedding has just stopped. That's just strange. But I hope this effect will last, I have lost enough hair already.

I got an appointment to the dermatologist, it was not to the university hospital (as last time, when I had problems with itcy skin), but to a private doctor has his practice in the same building. The appointment is in the middle of the January next year. If my shedding really stops and doesn't start again, I don't know if there's any point going there then? And can I expect some new growth to January? If my hair is not growing back by then, maybe something is still wrong?
    I have heard the mermaids singing... and I do think that they will sing to me...

Don't miss the LHC Book Club!

Length
    Hip/Hip+/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Today I've upped my dosage of spironolactone from 50 mg to 100, like the doctor instructed.

Quote Originally Posted by Suortuva View Post
    I got an appointment to the dermatologist, it was not to the university hospital (as last time, when I had problems with itcy skin), but to a private doctor has his practice in the same building. The appointment is in the middle of the January next year. If my shedding really stops and doesn't start again, I don't know if there's any point going there then? And can I expect some new growth to January? If my hair is not growing back by then, maybe something is still wrong?
    I think you can expect to see new sprouting growth by January, but I don't have personal experience of seeing such so I don't know if it could easily go unnoticed as well, especially if we're not talking about a bald patch but diffuse shedding.