Page 133 of 133 FirstFirst ... 3383123131132133
Results 1,321 to 1,326 of 1326

Thread: The Great Shed -- The Thinning Hair Support Thread

  1. #1321
    Member foreveryours's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    Where no man has gone before
    Posts
    1,276
    Length
    ./53/KNEE
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

    Default Re: The Great Shed -- The Thinning Hair Support Thread

    I can't see your pics, maybe post them on imgur or postimage and link here.

    That said, one thing you can do to help in the "Dx" as to what's going on is to look at the ends of the shorter "thick" strands with a magnifier. Are they complete virgin hairs with pointy ends growing out or are they shorter strands because they've been broken or cut off? How do they compare to the longer strands?

    One thing I've started doing since registering here is actually tracking my own hair loss. Everyone loses hair, but what's "normal" and what's "not normal" is very interesting. It's tedious but there are few better ways I can think to care for your hair than to actively learn about it if you want it long while waiting for it to grow. Definitely keeps you from fussin' wit it anyways
    scalp > SL > MBL > WL > TBL > FTL > LHC > ???

  2. #1322
    Member barnet_fair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    England
    Posts
    258
    Length
    CBL/HL/CL
    Type
    2a/C/iii

    Default Re: The Great Shed -- The Thinning Hair Support Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by foreveryours View Post
    I can't see your pics, maybe post them on imgur or postimage and link here.

    That said, one thing you can do to help in the "Dx" as to what's going on is to look at the ends of the shorter "thick" strands with a magnifier. Are they complete virgin hairs with pointy ends growing out or are they shorter strands because they've been broken or cut off? How do they compare to the longer strands?

    One thing I've started doing since registering here is actually tracking my own hair loss. Everyone loses hair, but what's "normal" and what's "not normal" is very interesting. It's tedious but there are few better ways I can think to care for your hair than to actively learn about it if you want it long while waiting for it to grow. Definitely keeps you from fussin' wit it anyways
    Thank you, foreveryours. My photos are set to contacts-only and I've added you as a contact, so you should be able to see them now.

    Yes, you're right that a quantitative approach would help... I suppose it might be time for me to start counting...

    I've had a quick look at some of the shorter strands. Right now I don't see much of a difference between them and the longer strands, which may suggest breakage. What I'm stuck on is: if it is breakage, why does the thickness seem to reduce drastically at the V-shaped demarcation line, rather than gradually all the way down?
    Images in old threads not showing up? Try the image fixer browser extension.

  3. #1323
    Member foreveryours's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    Where no man has gone before
    Posts
    1,276
    Length
    ./53/KNEE
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

    Default Re: The Great Shed -- The Thinning Hair Support Thread

    I don't count, I'm too lazy and I don't care to distinguish breakage from sheds which is VERY time consuming. So I measure mass instead and from that I can estimate "count" based on some average strand length, if I wish. I've most recently lost about 2 grams of hair due to sheds and breakage over a period of 2 weeks, I think due to the manner of how I've been wearing it. At my length this translates to about 30 strands more or less per day. But we'll see over the next month how true my "suspicion" is. It takes that long, not anything you can see overnight! So I continue to collect

    I see your photos now :P Have you ever worn elastics and if so about how long ago? Do you brush your hair?
    Last edited by foreveryours; September 7th, 2021 at 12:14 PM.
    scalp > SL > MBL > WL > TBL > FTL > LHC > ???

  4. #1324
    Member barnet_fair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    England
    Posts
    258
    Length
    CBL/HL/CL
    Type
    2a/C/iii

    Default Re: The Great Shed -- The Thinning Hair Support Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by foreveryours View Post
    I don't count, I'm too lazy and I don't care to distinguish breakage from sheds which is VERY time consuming. So I measure mass instead and from that I can estimate "count" based on some average strand length, if I wish. I've most recently lost about 2 grams of hair due to sheds and breakage over a period of 2 weeks, I think due to the manner of how I've been wearing it. At my length this translates to about 30 strands more or less per day. But we'll see over the next month how true my "suspicion" is. It takes that long, not anything you can see overnight! So I continue to collect

    I see your photos now :P Have you ever worn elastics and if so about how long ago? Do you brush your hair?
    Nice method of measuring hair loss by weight - I like it.

    I wore all sorts of awful elastic hair bands before joining LHC in 2018, at which point my hair was at BSL. Now I use silk satin scrunchies for the occasional low ponytail and plaits.

    Yes, I brush my hair with a BBB, perhaps not carefully enough. I wonder whether brushing has somehow worsened damage that was already there at the ends, and caused them to break off at a faster rate than they did when I was at WL.

    ETA: The plot, unlike my ends, thickens. I've found some photos from both earlier and later than the October one that show the same "thinning" pattern as the more recent ones, with the V line in a similar place, which suggests to me that this is either mechanical damage due to ongoing habits, or just how my hair grows.

    I'm going to conclude tentatively that my hair is not thinning at the scalp, I am not necessarily experiencing a Great Shed, and that therefore I can stop hijacking this thread - apologies.
    Last edited by barnet_fair; September 7th, 2021 at 06:11 PM.
    Images in old threads not showing up? Try the image fixer browser extension.

  5. #1325
    Member foreveryours's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    Where no man has gone before
    Posts
    1,276
    Length
    ./53/KNEE
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

    Default Re: The Great Shed -- The Thinning Hair Support Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by barnet_fair View Post
    Nice method of measuring hair loss by weight - I like it.

    I wore all sorts of awful elastic hair bands before joining LHC in 2018, at which point my hair was at BSL. Now I use silk satin scrunchies for the occasional low ponytail and plaits.

    Yes, I brush my hair with a BBB, perhaps not carefully enough. I wonder whether brushing has somehow worsened damage that was already there at the ends, and caused them to break off at a faster rate than they did when I was at WL.
    Ahah, I don't mean to step on anyone's toes, but this is just my opinion based upon my own experiences

    [FLAMESUIT=ON]
    A brush is a tool of the devil. It has a much higher drag force due to friction thru the hair than does a comb. That friction, if it doesn't pull hair out of the scalp or break it, creates wear and abrades the hair's strands, weakening them over time thus accelerating the normal "weathering" of older hair which making them more susceptible to breakage
    [/FLAMESUIT]

    Of course, YMMV, but I think foresaking the brush for a comb would be beneficial to you in the long run. Your hairtype looks very similar to mine. I use combs, on dry hair, only, now.
    scalp > SL > MBL > WL > TBL > FTL > LHC > ???

  6. #1326
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    47
    Length
    4/28/36
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

    Default Re: The Great Shed -- The Thinning Hair Support Thread

    I am going to join this thread and read the entirety of it this evening.

    I had a large postpartum shed about 7yrs ago with my youngest and my ponytail diameter was drastically smaller. So far my hair has not grown back to it's former thickness. My doctor attributed this to hormone shifts and stress, as my parents were going through a long nasty divorce at the time and my siblings and I had been drawn into the fight.

    Then in late 2020 I had another super stressful issue come up that triggered me to have GI issues. I could no longer hold down my meals and I ended up living on a mostly liquid diet gor months, during this time I lost a lot of hair and weight.

    By June of this year (2021) my doctor and I had gotten my GI issues managed with a special diet, but I ended up with Covid...cue another large shed. At this point I had bald patches by my hair line and I was finding handfuls of hair in the shower each wash day.

    As of today my thinning seems to have stopped. My bald spots fron the Covid shed are growing back, and are a few inches long. I ended up cutting bangs to blend my shorter growth and it seems to look ok...but I still miss the thickness I had years ago.

    I am between waist and hip-a length I maintained for years before and looking at the bright side here, I can do buns now that with my former thickness was impossible...so I am focusing on the positive at the moment and just trying to learn new buns and braids.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •