Results 1,311 to 1,319 of 1319

Thread: The Great Shed -- The Thinning Hair Support Thread

Length
    Hip/CL/CL+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: The Great Shed -- The Thinning Hair Support Thread

Quote Originally Posted by pisinoe View Post
    I am light-medium skinned, I don't really burn unless I'm at my palest and spend a lot of time outside with high exposure, but then I end up tanning after a while. But I spent a normal time outside there and got tan, but I think my skin just sucks at absorbing vit D maybe. My cholesterol levels were fine, but my calcium was quite high because of the vit D deficiency (I had no idea it's related).

My GP wanted to prescribe the 25 000 dose boosters for once a month or so I think but I can never remember to take those lol so i'm taking 1000 pills everyday for now. Hopefully it'll help.

And I absolutely agree with you about the pros and cons of each thickness, sorry if I came agross negative, it wasn't my intention! I think it's just that my perspective is skewed from having had such thick hair my entire life. Like, hairdressers used to say I had enough hair for five people and it was a chore for them to give me a blowout. So when I see it falling a lot and my pony tail getting thinner, it's a very dramatic change to me, but perhaps only because I'm used to what I have naturally and therefore I notice it more = it makes my reaction worse and I think "oh my god I have almost no hair left". In other people's eyes it's not as bad though, and they probably won't even notice it because it still is a normal amount of hair compared to most heads.
    Do you mean you're taking 1000 IU daily? Or 25 000 IU worth of 1000 IU pills? 1000 IU per day is basically nothing. It's not a maintenance dose and definitely not enough to cure a deficiency.

I agree with your GP that the 25 000 IU sounds reasonable for fixing a deficiency. Even 50 000 IU is sometimes used.

Of course, this isn't medical advice, I'm just sharing what I've learned as I've looked into vit. D dosages quite a bit. Also, when the supplemented vit. D dosage is on the higher side (10 000 IU and up or so), it's essential to be taking K2 with it (preferably as menaquinone-7) if you're not getting it from your nutrition (fermented foods and animal foods are great sources).
    snjallr mar hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann vi vg varask;
    en elli gefr hnum engi fri, tt hnum geirar gefi.

Length
    SL/HL/TBD
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

I just put two and two together that I had a major shed. I had been in denial for a long time, blaming my conditioner for making my hair too smooth and flat. So I switched conditioners to see... and noticed the same thing. Then I had comments from people around me asking if I cut my hair because my bun looked smaller than usual. I figured it was just my hair compressing down from needing a wash, and brushed it off.

Then reality set in when I was putting my hair up in a bun, and my large ficcare that I used to wear every day was too big for my bun. Then when I was trying to smooth my hair down to my head, I noticed that I had A LOT of baby hairs, about 4" long. I thought it was my bangs/a spot I trimmed too far back on. But then I noticed it was EVERYWHERE.

I know what caused this... I lost a lot of weight pretty quickly, so I know I did this to myself. I was just in denial as my brush filled up more quickly than usual as the pounds flew off.
    But at least my hair is growing back.... but I'm at a loss for what to do with what's left. I've cut from FTL all the way up to BCL now, and at least the thinness isn't as super noticeable because of that. But it also makes me want to make the best of what I have and treat myself to something a bit shorter, because I need to wait for the baby hairs to catch up anyway.

Lady Scarlette, Traveler of the Road to Dawn in the Order of Long Haired Knights
    {aka that witch who really loves ducks}

Length
    WL/CL/FTL
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by vampyyri View Post
    I just put two and two together that I had a major shed. I had been in denial for a long time, blaming my conditioner for making my hair too smooth and flat. So I switched conditioners to see... and noticed the same thing. Then I had comments from people around me asking if I cut my hair because my bun looked smaller than usual. I figured it was just my hair compressing down from needing a wash, and brushed it off.

Then reality set in when I was putting my hair up in a bun, and my large ficcare that I used to wear every day was too big for my bun. Then when I was trying to smooth my hair down to my head, I noticed that I had A LOT of baby hairs, about 4" long. I thought it was my bangs/a spot I trimmed too far back on. But then I noticed it was EVERYWHERE.

I know what caused this... I lost a lot of weight pretty quickly, so I know I did this to myself. I was just in denial as my brush filled up more quickly than usual as the pounds flew off.
    But at least my hair is growing back.... but I'm at a loss for what to do with what's left. I've cut from FTL all the way up to BCL now, and at least the thinness isn't as super noticeable because of that. But it also makes me want to make the best of what I have and treat myself to something a bit shorter, because I need to wait for the baby hairs to catch up anyway.
    I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing hair loss I'm in a similar boat in some ways: lots of new growth but thin length/ends. Its good that it's stopped now, the baby hairs are a very promising sign! You will find lots of support on this thread, whether you decide to cut or keep your length.

Length
    Shorn/SL+/Term
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

Im loosing a fair bit of hair myself, it seems to lose a lot in the sink when I wash it, and it looks thinner on the right side I dont really want to maintain at my current length I feel Im never getting past this shoulder stage lol, I had surgery last year but that was pretty much 10 to 11 months ago, so not sure if that had anything to do with it
    Last edited by Bat; June 12th, 2021 at 06:08 AM.

Length
    Shorn/SL+/Term
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

Good luck with whatever you decide

Type
    2b/F/M/ii

Just wanted to say how helpful and reassuring this thread has been to me. I had to take a medication through January and February that I think caused a delayed bout of telogen effluvium (it's not listed as a side-effect, but there are reports in the literature of women complaining about this effect). Or was it just the arrival of spring that caused it, and I'm shedding like my cat? Both? And is it still going on? Maybe.

At any rate, my braid is smaller and on wash days I comb out hideous nests of hair. Although my hair feels much thinner to me, I doubt that anyone else would notice. For all the hair I've been losing, I still somehow have enough to cover my head.

I did trim off about six inches, just to show it who was boss. Ha. And I try to appreciate how much easier it is to deal with, with less thickness. It really is, kind of.

Boy, if I was into making hair rats for big buns or rolls, I'd have a fabulous collection by now.
    If my hair grows long enough, will I turn into a mermaid?

Length
    18/Waist/Waist
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

I feel your pain. I lost a lot of weight too and my hair, while not thick to begin with, is definitely thinner. I'm really hoping it'll grow back, but I still have about 15 lbs to go to get to my goal weight.
    Renegray all the way!
    "So brave is the moon, confronting so great a darkness with so small a face" --Elizabeth Goudge

Length
    WL/CL/FTL
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Nimia View Post
    Just wanted to say how helpful and reassuring this thread has been to me. I had to take a medication through January and February that I think caused a delayed bout of telogen effluvium (it's not listed as a side-effect, but there are reports in the literature of women complaining about this effect). Or was it just the arrival of spring that caused it, and I'm shedding like my cat? Both? And is it still going on? Maybe.

At any rate, my braid is smaller and on wash days I comb out hideous nests of hair. Although my hair feels much thinner to me, I doubt that anyone else would notice. For all the hair I've been losing, I still somehow have enough to cover my head.

I did trim off about six inches, just to show it who was boss. Ha. And I try to appreciate how much easier it is to deal with, with less thickness. It really is, kind of.

Boy, if I was into making hair rats for big buns or rolls, I'd have a fabulous collection by now.
    I'm glad you've found support on this thread <3 I hope the shedding stops soon! I've had thst thought too, who knows how many hair rsts I'd have by now if I'd kept all my sheds :P

Length
    WL/CL/FTL
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Got my blood results today: everything is normal. So I guess my original intuition that my hair loss is stress related is basically confirmed.
    - I will cut my hair once I am defeated in battle -
    Lady Lavender, Mistress of the Mighty Fowl, in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights