Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Ingredients] Sodium Chloride in Shampoos

Default [Ingredients] Sodium Chloride in Shampoos

Good afternoon LHC!

I'm using the Drink It Up Coconut Milk Hawaiian Shampoo & Conditioner from Alba Botanica. I really like this combo. I was previously using Nature's Gate (which I still like), but Alba's S&C are more hydrating and make my hair feel moisturized, which I love.

These are the ingredients for the shampoo:
    Aqua (Water), Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Glycerin, Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate, Sodium Chloride, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil(1), Macadamia Ternifolia Seed Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice(1), Ananas Sativus (Pineapple) Fruit Extract(1), Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract(1), Carica Papaya (Papaya) Fruit Extract(1), Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Fruit Extract(1), Macrocystis Pyrifera Extract, Zingiber Officinale (Ginger) Root Extract(1), Babassu Oil Polyglyceryl-4 Esters, Citric Acid, Dimethicone, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Panthenol, Sodium PCA, Sodium Phytate, Sodium Sulfate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Alcohol(1), Benzyl Alcohol, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, Benzyl Salicylate, Coumarin, Fragrance (Parfum)

Only I just noticed yesterday that Sodium Chloride (aka table salt) is the fifth ingredient. I googled this and one site said that sodium chloride is just used to thicken shampoos and is safe. Another said that it'd wash out in warm water anyway (I take cold showers). Others say that it's moisture stripping and damages the hair over time.
    e.g. https://www.wen.ie/wen-ie-sodium-chloride-free-shampoo

Do you guys have any thoughts on it?

Length
    Pixie/TBL/???
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Default Re: [Ingredients] Sodium Chloride in Shampoos

I wouldn't be worried about it, personally. It's very common for salt to be used as a wave-inducing formula (like the waves people get after swimming in the ocean). I'd be more concerned with why there are so many oils and plant extracts in the shampoo, that looks like a recipe for buildup problems to me unless you have quite a dry scalp already.

[EDIT] Well, after hitting post it occurred to me that it's possible that they're there to try to counteract the drying factor of the salt. But, conditioner should be doing that anyway.
    Nique ~ Journeying from pixie in 2011 to who knows where

Pixie ~ Shoulder ~ APL ~ BSL ~ Waist ~ Hip ~ BCL ~ Tailbone ~ Classic ~ Fingertip ~ Knee?

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I'd be more worried about the dimethicone in the shampoo. It's a silicone. If you're OK with that then no worries. But just thought you should know.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    20/TBL/CL
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Salt is a cheap thickener and is often used for that purpose. That said I've never seen it that high on an ingredients list. I half to hope that's in error.

Nope, I don't really mind cones. It's not an error though; I was surprised too!

Length
    20/TBL/CL
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

I can't be certain but I would guess the salt and thus everything following it would be at 2% or less. More than 2% salt will kill most emusions. Since it's shampoo, not be super loaded down with oils isn't a bad thing since they cut foaming. The only thing that confuses me is the aloe vera. I'd expect more of it. But hey, what do I really know. If the shampoo is working for you, go for it!

Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Most of the shampoos I've used contained sodium chloride in some amount and they don't tend to make my hair drier than anything else... except for one that contained sea salt. After regular use that one was pretty drying. That ingredients list looks pretty normal to me so I'd go ahead and keep using it. You can always stop if you notice it's causing any problems

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

The only thing that ever caused problems for me and my scalp was straight up "alcohol". No soft derivative, no just straight up "alcohol" as an ingredient, as it stung my scalp (but I do have a problem with alcohol on my skin due to my condition). If that is no issue for you, then... all the better! Derivatives aren't such a problem but straight up, for me? Yikes. The shampoos by Weleda contain that and I had to gift them both to someone else.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

The Cheery Raggamuffin AutobotsAttack's Avatar
    Length
    Chin/40in/FTL
    Type
    3c/4a/F/iii

I think youll be just fine. The cocamidopropyl, tends to do a really good job of conditioning, without being as heavy as dimethicones.

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Salt is used on almost all the shampoos I have used, so I'd say it's common and safe.

Always behave like a duck -
    keep calm and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the devil underneath.