Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Support thread for emotional trimmers

Length
    2/6/APL
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Default Re: Support thread for emotional trimmers

Quote Originally Posted by luluj View Post
    I do, Lainey. It is my need for change, which in the past always led me to the salon for a new look. After a few weeks of the "new look" I would regret the "change" big time. So, I am resisting the urge to cut my hair and looking for other options, such as working on my overall health. Healthy body = healthy hair, so it is still about my hair you see.

So far, so good. Wish me luck!

How are you doing, Lainey? Did you end up trimming a bit?

It’s interesting how that feeling suddenly surfaces luluj and then becomes a compulsion. I recognise it well. Although I’ve not trimmed, the last couple of days I’ve been really embarrassed about my hair because it’s wild. My cousin knitted me one of those ponytail woollies (the pattern was posted on here) which has been my saviour. I know once it all goes neatly into a ponytail I will be ok. That’s why I’m not trimming, I’m gritting my teeth instead! Think of your waist length goal luluj....!
    Iím looking forward to having long natural hair to style in a braid, bun or ponytail, so I never, ever, have to do battle with a bad cut or colour again. Freedom!

Length
    2/6/APL
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Oh and btw luluj, I commend your idea to work on your health instead. That is such a positive diversion for the chopping urge.
    Last edited by Lainey; November 22nd, 2020 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Clarity
    Iím looking forward to having long natural hair to style in a braid, bun or ponytail, so I never, ever, have to do battle with a bad cut or colour again. Freedom!

Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

Smile Re: Support thread for emotional trimmers

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    Itís interesting how that feeling suddenly surfaces luluj and then becomes a compulsion. I recognise it well. Although Iíve not trimmed, the last couple of days Iíve been really embarrassed about my hair because itís wild. My cousin knitted me one of those ponytail woollies (the pattern was posted on here) which has been my saviour. I know once it all goes neatly into a ponytail I will be ok. Thatís why Iím not trimming, Iím gritting my teeth instead! Think of your waist length goal luluj....!
    Oh and btw luluj, I commend your idea to work on your health instead. That is such a positive diversion for the chopping urge.
    Thanks for the support and encouragement, Lainey, it could not come a better time.

Once you can pull all of your hair into a pony tail, it will be a game changer. You just need to keep your resolve, you will make it, I'm sure of this.

I am not sure I have heard of the ponytail woolly. How nice of your cousin to make you one, it helps to have someone in your corner to cheer you on, in real life. Of course, we have our many friends here at TLHC, cheering us on and offering support and advice.

How much of your hair are you able to put up into a ponytail at this time?

~ Lady Bendis of the Silverlight Strands in the Order of the Longhaired Knights ~

I always used to want change at this time of year too, although I havenít noticed it this year. In the UK education system, the academic year starts in September so it was always a time for new beginnings. My daughter started school in September so that probably scratched that itch for me!

I maintained my length at APL all year, and thatís now helping me to keep my resolve to avoid trimming back. I think the quickest way for me to feel a change is just to grow! Itíll look and feel different in a couple of months that way. If I cut back it would only be to trim out henna, and Iíd go back to growing and end up back at APL. Nothing would really feel different.

Iíve had a particularly bad few days and Iím glad to realise that I didnít have any thoughts of chopping, just in looking forwards.

Iím all for change if itís something that is really wanted. A fresh start can be good. However I think everyone here is saying that they donít want to cut because itís not ultimately what they want to do.

Length
    2/6/APL
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Thanks for the support and encouragement, Lainey, it could not come a better time.

Once you can pull all of your hair into a pony tail, it will be a game changer. You just need to keep your resolve, you will make it, I'm sure of this.

I am not sure I have heard of the ponytail woolly. How nice of your cousin to make you one, it helps to have someone in your corner to cheer you on, in real life. Of course, we have our many friends here at TLHC, cheering us on and offering support and advice.

How much of your hair are you able to put up into a ponytail at this time?
    Luluj, I think the ponytail woolly is called a calorimetry. The pattern’s on this site somewhere. It’s the perimeter of my hair that won’t go in the pony. Ive decided I’m just not going to think about it for now. It’s all part of the process and not important in the scheme of things. We’ll get there.

Length
    2/6/APL
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Stardust View Post
    I always used to want change at this time of year too, although I haven’t noticed it this year. In the UK education system, the academic year starts in September so it was always a time for new beginnings. My daughter started school in September so that probably scratched that itch for me!

I maintained my length at APL all year, and that’s now helping me to keep my resolve to avoid trimming back. I think the quickest way for me to feel a change is just to grow! It’ll look and feel different in a couple of months that way. If I cut back it would only be to trim out henna, and I’d go back to growing and end up back at APL. Nothing would really feel different.

I’ve had a particularly bad few days and I’m glad to realise that I didn’t have any thoughts of chopping, just in looking forwards.

I’m all for change if it’s something that is really wanted. A fresh start can be good. However I think everyone here is saying that they don’t want to cut because it’s not ultimately what they want to do.
    You’re doing good Lady Stardust.

You’re doing good Lady Stardust.
    Thank you so much Lainey. I really appreciate your kind words

Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Stardust View Post
    I always used to want change at this time of year too, although I havenít noticed it this year. In the UK education system, the academic year starts in September so it was always a time for new beginnings. My daughter started school in September so that probably scratched that itch for me!

I maintained my length at APL all year, and thatís now helping me to keep my resolve to avoid trimming back. I think the quickest way for me to feel a change is just to grow! Itíll look and feel different in a couple of months that way. If I cut back it would only be to trim out henna, and Iíd go back to growing and end up back at APL. Nothing would really feel different.

Iíve had a particularly bad few days and Iím glad to realise that I didnít have any thoughts of chopping, just in looking forwards.

Iím all for change if itís something that is really wanted. A fresh start can be good. However I think everyone here is saying that they donít want to cut because itís not ultimately what they want to do.
    So sorry that the last few days have been a challenge, Lady Stardust. I am sending you positive, warm thoughts across the ocean.

You are so right, we are here because we do not want to cut, not at this time or in the near future. Our emotions very often trick us into thinking otherwise. Like you have done, I am going to maintain for a while, once I reach APL. It is a lovely length, actually. By then I may need to freshen my ends which will be just fine, only a micro-trim though.

~ Lady Bendis of the Silverlight Strands in the Order of the Longhaired Knights ~

Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

Luluj, I think the ponytail woolly is called a calorimetry. The patternís on this site somewhere. Itís the perimeter of my hair that wonít go in the pony. Ive decided Iím just not going to think about it for now. Itís all part of the process and not important in the scheme of things. Weíll get there.
    Found one, Lainey. I really like how they look. I don't knit, but I do crochet. This would be a nice little project. Yes, no overthinking. Me either.

So sorry that the last few days have been a challenge, Lady Stardust. I am sending you positive, warm thoughts across the ocean.

You are so right, we are here because we do not want to cut, not at this time or in the near future. Our emotions very often trick us into thinking otherwise. Like you have done, I am going to maintain for a while, once I reach APL. It is a lovely length, actually. By then I may need to freshen my ends which will be just fine, only a micro-trim though.
    Thank you luluj

APL is indeed a lovely length. I can’t wait to see your beautiful hair at that length. I’d be tempted to stay at APL even longer but I want next year to look and feel different. I expect I’ll maintain for a while at BSL, if I get there.