Thread: Amla rinse?

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    pixie/pixie/waist
    Type
    3a/3b/F/M/iii

Default Amla rinse?

I have some Hesh Amla Powder kickin around...it was an impulse buy at my local indian grocer. I saw it and was all, "Ooooh! Must have!" And I've never really figured out what to do with it. I was thinking something along the lines of a tea rinse to cleanse my hair....anyone else use Amla Powder? If so, what did it do for your hair?

In the meantime, I think I'll mix up some into a paste and use it on my face...my skin luuuuurves it.

Length
    28/tlb/tlb
    Type
    2b/C/ii

Default Re: Amla rinse?

Amla will not cleanse hair on it's own usually but can be used as a conditioning rinse. It is mildly acidic so makes the cuticle lay down flatter thus making hair shinier.

I use amla powder in a mix with shikakai, bringradj and other herbs to wash hair. The mixes are food cleansers.

There is more in formation on it in the Indian herb article, the link for it is in my signature.

Indian Herb Article Wstern Herb Article 2b/C/ii/iii .
    Lady Aes Cyprium, Potionmaker and Alchemist to the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

I have used amla by itself in a henna-like treatment. Here's the results:

Before:

After:

Length
    neck/frtp+/??
    Type
    2b/2c/C/iii

You can mix some powder with egg this is good treament for the hairs.

Length
    pixie/pixie/waist
    Type
    3a/3b/F/M/iii

Mira-chan, that article is fantastic! Thank you.

I'm gonna go brew myself up some indian herb tea!

Length
    31/32/40
    Type
    1b/1c/M/i/ii

Well ofcourse Amla powder can be used in many ways: like adding it to henna or mixing it with egg deep conditionig treated as aisha suggested or the herbal tea way,,
    What i have noticed is it makes your hair more silky like : well its good if you use it in combination with other herbs ofcourse....

Length
    Pixie/APL/waist
    Type
    1c/F/M/i/ii

I use amla (when i can find it, whine!!) in my henna mix, i add it with the henna and let it dye release and slap it on. it tends to restore my waves a bit as henna flattens them.
    Once you place a candle in the dark, you can't deny the light. . Once you give to man that candle, you give his mind the power of flight. - Myself.
    Lady Seyllea, Oracle of Time and Becoming in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    24/29/40
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i

I use Amla with Shikakai and Aritha to wash my hair.
    I try it for nearly two month now and for me, there is no reason to use something else again.

Mira-chan, the article is great, thanks a lot! I would sent it to a friend, who always laughs about my way of cleaning my hair.

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I'm thinking of using an amla rinse between washes, maybe daily, but that might be a bit optimistic for me. I do love the effect it has on my hair....somehow it seems to manage to give volume, shine, smooth and add some wave.
    Though i'm thinking quite a diluted mix....something like half a teaspoon to a cup of water then strained.
    Has anyone tried using an amla rinse in a mister?
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.

Type
    3a/F/i/ii

11 years - that's not too late to get back to you, is it? LOL!

I use amla in a 360 mister. My first shot at an amla rinse included the amla, hibiscus powder, and a very small amount of fenugreek seed. I used powdered amla and strained everything through flour sack cloth then poured it into a 360 mister. I have to use a LOT of conditioner afterwards and it is very drying to my scalp. Adding any significant amount of fenugreek to the mix may improve slip but it clogs the mister. I'll either have to find a less cloggy mister or I have this applicator bottle with finger-like thingies (from Sally Beauty) that I'll try next, but the rinse even with significant fenugreek in it may still be too thin for that.

I'm just starting with the herbal rinses. I have about given up on commercial products, by and large. I can't use any coconut products - my hair loves it, but it has declared war on my scalp. The commercial products that work best for my hair are the worst for my scalp because they have all had significant coconut product in them. Such as Shea Moisture Coconut/Hibiscus line. That stuff restored my hair to its full former curly glory, but then it started trying to melt its way through my scalp.

The amla rinse seems to be a study in contradiction - it makes my hair tangledy and awful while I'm using it but then my hair is soft, silky, and voluminous once it dries, and if it doesn't TOTALLY restore my previously 3a/3b curls, at least it gets me back to a solid 2c that lasts for at least a couple days with little or no further intervention from me.

I have found the one and only thing I can put in my hair and leave it there in my entire life, which is Not Your Mother's Naturals Tahitian Gardenia detangler. Anything else weighs down my uber fine finer-than-baby-hair fine so-fine-it-breaks-off-totally-because-it-is-too-thin-to-manage-a-split-end hair and makes it look icky, greasy, and over-productified.

And on top of my struggles recovering from a Pantene addiction, I have hit the Big M - menopause. The first week I started having hot flashes my hair started breaking off in weird previously unseen ways, so that now (rather than having hair that is of more or less uniform length achieved all on its on, haven't seen the inside of a hair salon in 35 years) I now have this rattail of hair going halfway down my back while the sides taper up to just a bit over shoulder-length, LOL! That seems to have been a one-off (I hope) but menopause changes your hair so ... not sure what the ultimate state of my hair will be.

The NYMN Tahitian Gardenia shampoo and conditioner are, shall we say, somewhat less impressive in my hair than the detangler, but they do OK. If I can figure a way to address the drying issue on my scalp from the amla rinse, I might finally have a regimen that works for me (and that I can afford). Apparently my hair does love mango butter, but not quite as much as coconut oil. Thankfully the mango butter, unlike coconut products, seems to have a truce with my scalp.