Page 50 of 60 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast

Thread: Over 60s, the not-so-geriatric thread

Length
    8 in./40 in/50 in
    Type
    1a/F/M/i

Default Re: Over 60s, the not-so-geriatric thread

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    I just wanted to drop in and gripe about beauty editors constantly commenting that women over 40 who have long hair are trying and failing to look younger. That's not it at all! My hair is a luxury item. It's not something I need to compensate for some inadequacy. It's something I want. When I feel like enjoying it, I can take it down and comb/brush it out, apply a few drops of oil or a deep conditioning treatment, try out a new style - it's so versatile! Then I can put it away into buns and/or braids and get on with my day.

Oh yes I am in total agreement, My hair is a luxury item and I choose it. Yr hair is beauuutiful!
    Oldest LHC Member Currently holding the title: The Eldest
    Radical Believer in the Kingdom of God being here at hand.

Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

Smile Re: Over 60s, the not-so-geriatric thread

I just wanted to drop in and gripe about beauty editors constantly commenting that women over 40 who have long hair are trying and failing to look younger. That's not it at all! My hair is a luxury item. It's not something I need to compensate for some inadequacy. It's something I want. When I feel like enjoying it, I can take it down and comb/brush it out, apply a few drops of oil or a deep conditioning treatment, try out a new style - it's so versatile! Then I can put it away into buns and/or braids and get on with my day.

I've been experimenting with different methods of drying after washing. In the first, I blow-dried straight. In the second, I plopped and scrunched product to bring out maximum texture.
    Your hair looks lovely straightened and plopped, spidermom. You have grown a lot since your cut to collarbone.

For me, growing my hair longer has never been about trying to look younger, it has always been about loving long hair. I think this is the same for most of us, we cannot reverse the aging process, this is apparent when we look in the mirror each morning. For me, personally, I want to look and feel my best for my age, now.

How fortunate we all are to have TLHC, it is such a comfortable, fun place to gather together. There is a blend of all ages, sharing the love for all things hair, long or otherwise.

Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    Your hair is terrific and totally fabulous spidermom. All sorts of outrageous nonsense is written about older women and how they should look/behave. It’s a form of tyranny to keep us in our box. Those writers are the same ones who say ...too long....too short...too blonde...too grey...etc etc etc. I say to them ...too late.... because we’re doing our own thing and we don’t need to ask anyone else’s permission. You are right to absolutely please yourself.
    I love this post, Lainey.

Length
    Pixie/MBL/???

Quote Originally Posted by luluj View Post

For me, growing my hair longer has never been about trying to look younger, it has always been about loving long hair. I think this is the same for most of us, we cannot reverse the aging process, this is apparent when we look in the mirror each morning. For me, personally, I want to look and feel my best for my age, now.

How fortunate we all are to have TLHC, it is such a comfortable, fun place to gather together. There is a blend of all ages, sharing the love for all things hair, long or otherwise.
    I so agree with this luluj! My hair is just because I have always loved long hair and always wanted it. I guess it took me to my late 50’s to finally feel comfortable in my own skin and not worry about anyone else’s opinions of how I should wear my hair or dress! It’s a “wonderful life” now that I figured it out. 😍
    I’m finally checking the ONE and only item off my bucket list! Longer hair than a pixie! Now I’m creeping to waist and can’t believe it!!! Growing til I retire...and probably after.... 🤗

Length
    Pixie/MBL/???

Quote Originally Posted by bokeh View Post
    Hi everyone! Here is a pic from yesterday. It was a very cold day but there wasn't much wind or snow so it felt quite nice.
    There is a pic on the 'WEO' thread that shows the barrette better.
    Wow! I love your hair in this picture, bokeh. Just Beautiful! I would love to know how you did your hair!
    I’m finally checking the ONE and only item off my bucket list! Longer hair than a pixie! Now I’m creeping to waist and can’t believe it!!! Growing til I retire...and probably after.... 🤗

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Bokeh, that's such a nice photo! I love all the seasons and am enjoying winter with my golden retriever. My husband is not a fan.

Length
    1"/36"/42"
    Type
    2b/2c/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Vacurlylady View Post
    Wow! I love your hair in this picture, bokeh. Just Beautiful! I would love to know how you did your hair!
    Thanks Vacurlylady! First I twisted the sides back and then I used this video to form the bun around the barrette https://youtu.be/Uh9QaEf0No4
    Here is a pic that shows the bun better.
    Hope this helps. Oh, here is a video of a different bun but it shows how to do the twists in the beginning. https://youtu.be/7mlyaRdVq40

Bokeh, that's such a nice photo! I love all the seasons and am enjoying winter with my golden retriever. My husband is not a fan.
    Winter passes so much faster with some outdoor time and I'm sure your golden retriever provides plenty of encouragement to get outside! Since your husband doesn't like the cold it's nice that you always have a willing companion in your dog!

You and I share very similar weather since I'm also not far from Lake Erie. I'm in the Buffalo area. I love the snow but I do get cooped up when the sidewalks are slippery. The mail carrier just recommended that I get grippers for my shoes which might make a big difference.
    Last edited by bokeh; January 20th, 2021 at 09:19 PM.

Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Vacurlylady View Post
    I so agree with this luluj! My hair is just because I have always loved long hair and always wanted it. I guess it took me to my late 50’s to finally feel comfortable in my own skin and not worry about anyone else’s opinions of how I should wear my hair or dress! It’s a “wonderful life” now that I figured it out. 😍
    It took me some time to feel comfortable, also, Vacurlylady. I need to practice what I preach more often, to be honest. Right now all is good, I feel confident and comfortable with my length, but it has only been recently that I have felt this way. Back a few pages, in this thread, I shared my thoughts on how I felt the reason I kept cutting back was due to buying into the whole "no long hair after 40" chatter, as spidermom talked about.

Being here and sharing our thoughts and our photos has helped, tremendously. I'm a work in progress.

I am so happy that you have it figured out! A wonderful life, indeed.

Length
    14/18/22
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by bokeh View Post
    Thanks Vacurlylady! First I twisted the sides back and then I used this video to form the bun around the barrette https://youtu.be/Uh9QaEf0No4
    Here is a pic that shows the bun better.
    Hope this helps. Oh, here is a video of a different bun but it shows how to do the twists in the beginning. https://youtu.be/7mlyaRdVq40

Winter passes so much faster with some outdoor time and I'm sure your golden retriever provides plenty of encouragement to get outside! Since your husband doesn't like the cold it's nice that you always have a willing companion in your dog!

You and I share very similar weather since I'm also not far from Lake Erie. I'm in the Buffalo area. I love the snow but I do get cooped up when the sidewalks are slippery. The mail carrier just recommended that I get grippers for my shoes which might make a big difference.
    I’m full of admiration for this artistic creation. It showcases your hair to perfection bokeh.

Length
    14/18/22
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by luluj View Post
    I love this post, Lainey.
    Thank you luluj. Please carry on feeling confident in your choice. Everyone’s hair on here is beautifully cared for and a lovely expression of their individuality.