Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Henna-Infused Shea Butter? [Recipe Video]

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Default Re: Henna-Infused Shea Butter? [Recipe Video]

^ Sounds exciting, -Fern! Happy experimenting!

As for ratios, it depends on your personal preference for texture, of course. I'd experiment with it both ways (1:3 and 3:1), but I tend to prefer runnier mixtures for spreadability alone, so I'd go heavier on coconut. Also, I find shea butter heavier and it builds up faster than coconut oil for me personally. But oils are very YMMV, of course!

Growing in the Silvers hennalonghair's Avatar
    Length
    18/34.5/50
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

Here is a henna infused gloss bar too.

http://www.hennasooq.ca/henna-gloss-bar/

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

^ Thanks a lot for sharing that link, hennalonghair!

That's actually very interesting, because that product is almost anhydrous (just oils and dried herbs), but it's a henna gloss that does give red staining... And it looks like it can work without diluting, according to their instructions ("Once gloss bar has fully melted you may use immediately"). So I guess it proves that even without water, henna can stain well.

(Ingredients: organic cocoa butter, organic shea butter, organic henna, organic hibiscus, organic marshmallow root, lemon juice)

Length
    18/34.5/50
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by meteor View Post
    ^ Thanks a lot for sharing that link, hennalonghair!

That's actually very interesting, because that product is almost anhydrous (just oils and dried herbs), but it's a henna gloss that does give red staining... And it looks like it can work without diluting, according to their instructions ("Once gloss bar has fully melted you may use immediately"). So I guess it proves that even without water, henna can stain well.

(Ingredients: organic cocoa butter, organic shea butter, organic henna, organic hibiscus, organic marshmallow root, lemon juice)
    I don't believe henna needs water for dye release ; just liquid in almost any form.
    Many herbal infusions are made with oil. The oil is used to help leech out the beneficial ingredients .
    The ingredients list is quite impressive even if it has lemon juice. At least it's the last ingredient on the list.

Length
    CBL/27/Hip
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

Yeah, I've been weighing doing a henna gloss with coconut milk versus this method.

I think the major limitation of this method, when I just applied a plain whipped coconut oil & shea butter mix, was that it's hard to ensure even coverage. Some bits get more of the butter, some get less. I also had to wash it twice to get out the excess oil (and the ends are still--well--not *oily* per se, but visibly oiled), but it did leave my hair VERY soft and supple. I am enjoying running my fingers through it right now, in fact. ^_^ I wound up using 2 parts shea butter to 3 parts coconut oil, and I think I would use even more shea butter next time.

Seems like the coconut milk gloss might be easier to ensure it covers everything relatively uniformly.

Also, the extra coconut oil/shea butter whip made a nice impromptu moisturizer! I certainly don't think I'll have trouble using up the rest of my shea butter even if this recipe doesn't work out for me and my hair.
    Onwards.

26-BSL-28-29-WL-31-32-HL

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

^ -Fern, that sounds great! I agree: coconut oil + shea butter whip is such an awesome rich moisturizer! I think it's perfect for winter dryness and chapped hands, for example.

Hennalonghair, thanks a lot for the information on the dye release. It's important stuff. So basically, I guess there isn't really a trick to experience henna's strengthening properties without the dye release. It's an all-or-nothing proposition.

Length
    18/34.5/50
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

You're welcome meteor
    I don't think so but to be honest I don't know for sure.
    Adding henna without liquid does seem a bit pointless because it wouldn't have a chance to do its thing.

I actually made a small test sample batch of this..I luv it....

Length
    BSL/Hip/?
    Type
    3c/4a/M/ii/iii

There's also the henna tea recipe.

The problem I'd have with the cream and spray is that they will stain clothing.
    Kay , BSL > MBL > Waist > Hip

Length
    TWA/BSB/max
    Type
    4a/4b/M/C/ii/iii

Reviving this thread. I want to make a shea butter using oils infused with green tea and henna. Anyone with more experience with henna infused butters? I would like to know what to do or not do
    CBL ~> APL ~>BSB~> BSL ~> MBL ~> WL ~>HL (stretched goals)
    Texlaxed, 52+ weeks since last relaxer
    Slowly growing...