Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I smell of onions...and despair

Default I smell of onions...and despair

Growing out a henna mistake; I chopped most of it off back to chin. I hate it. I ruined almost a year and a half of virgin growth.

I'm trying two months of onion juice/cold brew coffee scalp treatments, every third night I massage it in and sleep on it then wash in the morning, to get more than half an inch a month.

Bad news: I REEK. Coffee and onion juice is a horrific smell. Good news: Its been two weeks and I have a TON of fuzzies, all over my head. No shed, this is new growth. It's exploded.
    I've never gotten this with just caffeine rinses before. Anyone have any experience with this?

Length
    ../20/--
    Type
    1b/C/ii/iii

Default Re: I smell of onions...and despair h

no personal experience, but i heard ginger works well for hair growth too! also essential oils like lavender, peppermint, and tea tree oil. they might smell better than garlic. at least it worked for you! yay!
    made with sugar, spice, and everything nice
    more hair pics!

Length
    CBL/31/Hip
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

Sometimes it's worth it, sometimes it's not. You just gotta decide for yourself. Personally... I might rather wait it out than reek.
    Onwards.

26-BSL-28-29-WL-31-32-HL

Length
    ../??/Term
    Type
    3a/3b/F/M/iii

Big chops for that reason are never fun. But I am glad that your hair is growing, and that is great that it is working for you, even if it smells! Now I am very tempted to try the onions too...I am already doing the coffee rinses, and I think they may be helping some with my hair growth. I have also been using Clary Sage Essential oil massaged into my scalp. Anyway, thanks for sharing.
    Final Goal: Terminal lengthLady Randiriel, Shepherdess of Tithenmamiwen

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: I smell of onions...and despair

You may have increased hair growth because it's spring going into summer. Everything is growing like weeds right now. Personally, I'd stop the treatments and see how it goes this season.

I've tried the onion juice just once and the smell lingered for more than 3 weeks . Everytime my hair would get wet I smelled the horrible smell of the onion. Due to this I haven't tried it again, but maybe I should. I'm not sure how I got rid of the smell, but probably it was the vinegar rinse, as normal shampoo and conditioner didn't get the smell out.

How much onion and coffee are you using? I have to try it sometime

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

If the onion effects are based on sulfur, maybe changing it to MSM would help? Also, if the coffee smells too, try caffeine tablets diluted in water: no smell.

Always behave like a duck -
    keep calm and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the devil underneath.

Length
    Pixie/CBL/TBL
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii/iii

Unrelated but the title had me laughing so hard.

Length
    CB/CB/BL
    Type
    3b/3c/F/ii

A good trick to remove odors, even cigarrette odor, is the sun. Enjoy your summer and sunbath!

Quote Originally Posted by curlymarcia View Post
    A good trick to remove odors, even cigarrette odor, is the sun. Enjoy your summer and sunbath!
    I love the title, try freezing the onions after you make them pulpy. I figure it can't hurt.